Someone totaled my parked car... and what was nice about it
Mar 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lurkumaural

1000+ Head-Fier
I live in San Francisco.  For me this means that wherever I've managed to find parking, I have to move my car periodically to avoid getting a ticket.  I don't drive my car much, instead using my wife's car, walking, or boarding the train.

Last night I decided to move the car, which was one square block away, because a space opened up across the street from my apartment and if I parked there I could keep an eye on it.  And I'd be free of the street sweeper until Tuesday.

Where I had left my car, there was enough space in front of it for a car to park, and a few times I had seen cars parked in front of it.  So I thought it was extremely weird to see my car last night, in the streetlight, all the way at the end of the block.  And pointed very slightly away from the curb. As I approached it, I was asking myself how someone could move it.  Lift it?  Tow it?  Push it with their car?  There wasn't a note or a ticket or anything else on the windshield.

Someone pushed it.  While colliding with it.  The rear left corner of the car was a sad combination of pushed in and missing, up to the fuel hatch.  The impact seems to have occurred above center mass of the bumper, so it must have been a truck or SUV.  The trunk lid was lifted slightly up, but still latched.  The rear bumper had separated not only on the left but along the whole width of the car.  The rear left wheel well was deformed, and there was trim touching the tire.  The right rear wheel had dug into the curb pretty hard.  I was going to move my car, so after inspecting the interior of the cabin and the trunk, and clearing the wheel well so nothing was touching the tire, I figured I could just move the car and then deal with insurance.  The wheel looked fine.  I was thinking it was only some body damage.

I made a U-turn and began to go down the block.  I could feel and hear some resistance at the rear left wheel.  It was turning against something.  I got out and checked, and it didn't look any different, but clearly there was some additional damage that I hadn't been able to assess.  The car was still drivable, albeit not wholly, so I thought I should just get it parked and then start worrying.

I made the right turn onto the street where I was intending to park.  The drive immediately got worse.  Again I got out to look; the left wheel was at a really bad negative camber, and apparently was no longer turning but rather dragging along.  It was at this point that I called the police.

The police station is three blocks from where I was stranded.  They showed up quickly (but not before someone took the parking space that I had wanted).  They repeatedly made it very clear that there was nothing they could do for me with regards to law enforcement, but after I told them that's not the kind of help I needed they became very helpful.  Because they've seen a few situations like this compared to my complete lack of experience with a disabled vehicle, they were able to help me figure out the order in which I should be making phone calls: insurance first, get the insurance provider to recommend a shop and a tow service, and then optionally get a police report.  They offered that the police do not require a report, nor would the insurance company in all likelihood, because there is not another person involved who can accept or defer fault. 

They were very sympathetic and extremely nice.  One of them made the comment that when they meet someone normal, they almost don't know what to say.  For this reason they were very generous with advice and anecdotes.  For example, they are accustomed to using the push bars on their squad car to assist civilians with disabled vehicles like mine, but after someone sued them for using their push bars, the bars have since been removed.  They wanted really badly to push my car, but sadly that wasn't an option, and hence the torrent of alternative helpfulness.

Despite my best friend being in the SFPD, I don't like cops and he knows this.  He knows not to take it personally, because a) he knows the kind of experiences I've had, and b) he's seen his share of bad cops.  I was expecting the two officers who assisted me to be judgmental or even rude.  They were quite the opposite.  It made me wonder because I the neighborhood I live in has got to be cake compared to some other areas of San Francisco, but they made it seem as if though my car problem was the best call they ever got.

They offered to light some road flares, joking that without the flares someone might wreck the front of the car.  They surmised that the car was totaled and that I'd likely be covered for the purchase of another vehicle, so I didn't care either way, especially since they assured me that since they patrol the area, they'd be checking on the car frequently while I went home and called for a tow.  They lit the flares, and I thanked them and walked up the block to my apartment.

Calling the insurance company was painless too, notwithstanding my own personal fog, fatigue, and general lack of comprehension at 1:30am.  The insurance representative was skeptical that the car was in fact totaled, but smartly deferred to the claims handler who should be calling me today or tomorrow.  In the meantime, I was recommended a couple of shops that would store and inspect the car free of charge since they were contracted with the insurance provider.  I called one of them, got the number for a towing service from the shop's after-hours voicemail greeting (also free or else billed to the insurance), and within about 40 minutes the car was off to the shop.

The tow operator was really nice.  Apparently I woke him up, and he said the trucks were locked up and he could get to me in the morning.  At some point in the conversation he changed his mind, and said he'd show up in 15-20 minutes.

I was enjoying some Sade in the cold SF air through my Apple wired headset (where t.h. are my S5i?) when he showed up with a flatbed.  He was gonna put my car on the flatbed, park it at his facility overnight so it's off the street, and drive it to the shop in the morning.  Nice guy.  He even drove me up the block to my place so I could take the two strollers and two car seats from the car to the apartment.  Then the car went away, perhaps for the last time.  I guess we'll see.

While I was unloading the kiddie gear from the truck, my neighbor pulled up with her boyfriend and disappeared into the garage, after watching me empty my car.  When I entered our building from the sidewalk, I ran into them in the hallway.  I politely declined their help, but after going back and forth a few times about it, the boyfriend just picked up the two strollers and carried them up the stairs, freeing my hands to take the two car seats upstairs.  I thanked them wearily, probably (unintentionally) not sounding too friendly, and bid them good night.  I skipped the opportunity to tell them what I had just gone through.

I had a tough day before seeing my car last night.  Then it went from tough to really bad.  But I have to say that everyone I spoke to, since finding my car practically destroyed, has been really nice.  Made me feel pretty good about having to go through some bad stuff.

Thanks for reading, everyone

- Lurk

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Sorry to hear about your day. I hope that you have a better today and tomorrow.
Now, I am going to listening to some SADE :)

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 10
That sucks man, I've had that happen before, the weird thing is the complete confusion of why the hell your car is on the sidewalk.  I like how you described that part.  Hope it's not too much of a hassle to get a replacement.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for your concern, snapple10 and KimChee. 

No news from the insurance or the repair shop yesterday.  My dad was calling me all day to talk about the claim, but I guess he didn't realize that all the information that he was getting from me to give to the claims handler, I already provided when I first called the insurance provider.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Never fun to be involved with something like this, but it's nice to hear that people were helpful about the whole thing and that you weren't injured. Hopefully that's how the entire situation plays out! As an aside, it might be worth contacting the police department that dispatched these officers and complimenting them (they usually hand out business cards or similar that has their pertinent information on it, so you can tell them specifically who you were impressed with) - good service should never go unnoticed. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks obobskivich.  I had some great perspective thinking about how nice everyone was.  I've certainly had my share of bad days gone worse, of people and their attitudes really bothering me, so I was touched to realize just how much good you can do for someone by just being nice.  It's rather profound.

Good idea about getting those cops some recognition.  I had thought of it previously, but now that you mention it I will be sure to do something so they know how grateful I am.

Mar 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 10
Some updates:

• Apparently the driver of the vehicle that hit mine left a note and contacted her insurance.  Whereas I did not find a note, her insurance company is accepting full responsibility and will most likely cover very close to KBB value since repairs would be more costly.

• The other vehicle was an Acura MDX.  So it turns out I was correct about it being a much larger vehicle, and further, the owner was probably not willing to pay outright to repair her luxury SUV, hence involving her insurance.  Works out for me.

•  I had to take my kids with me when I went to the shop to get the last of my belongings out of my car.  It was raining and they weren't too happy with me for dragging them along.  They got a trip to Burger King out of it, so the complaints didn't last long.

•  I don't know where my Klipsch S5i are now.  Maybe I have them in a jacket pocket at home, but it's possible that they were in the car and I completely missed them when I was filling a box with stuff from the car while trying to chill my kids out.  They weren't great earphones, but they were weatherproof and had this huge remote and I thought that would be valuable to use in rain and snow.  If I found them on sale for $60 again, I guess I'd buy another pair.  But first perhaps I should look around in case they are in fact somewhere near me.

•  I managed to save my car stereo because it's basically in new condition.  My dad thought it would be of some value (it cost me $80).  My father-in-law seemed to think that was funny.  Leaving out the dashboard screws post-installation FTW.

• We're beginning to shop around for a car.  My wife thinks I should have something new, or new-ish.  I'm thinking more like a used car for straight cash using the claim money.  We'll see who wins (i.e. we'll see what new car I end up with).

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 10
That's a shame. I'm sorry about your loss. I never felt worse in my life about losing one of my possessions than when a woman hit me and totaled my '97 Civic LX 4-ish years ago. That car was in excellent condition and the '98 Civic DX we got to replace it wasn't half as nice and never lived up (buying good condition used cars is impossible, and I knew from the second I saw my car that it was totaled and that I would never again own one like it). Fortunately, I ended up buying a very nice condition '05 Corolla this past November to replace that car, so I'm living in the lap of luxury again.

My one tip to you would be to literally take everything out of that car that you can before the collision company hauls it away. Take the spare tire, tools, radio (I see that you got that already), anything accessories-wise that you can sell, and feel no remorse, because you owe them nothing and a junkyard will probably be making a pretty penny off what's left anyway...the fact that the front end of your car is intact makes it a goldmine for a junkyard.

What kind of car did you drive? I'm sure some people here on Head-Fi would love to help you in your search for a replacement car.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the input MD1032.  My car was a '99 Accord LX sedan.  It had a cheap tint job on the rear door glass (thanks Dad) and a trunk-mounted CD changer (thanks Dad), and I put in a new stereo after the factory one broke... rendering the CD changer useless.  I don't really care what I get next, if I can drive it without problems.  Superficial wishes would be for a newer car, with less road noise, efficient windshield defrost, maybe shorter overall length so I can get smaller parking spaces.  I'd like it to not look like a classless POS, but really that's so low on my priority list.

Nice to go from a 90's car to an '05, isn't it?  My wife bought an '05 Camry new.  Same type and tier of car as mine, but because hers is of newer make, the difference in quality is quite significant. 

I only retrieved from the old car the things I would use again: stereo, roadside kit, brand new tire iron, cassette tapes, hand sanitizer.  I didn't really want anything else.  We live in an apartment, and I think my wife wouldn't be too happy if it started to resemble a salvage yard.  Besides, everything that I left in the trunk was in pretty bad shape; it might have rusted because the trunk wouldn't seal after the collision, or else it had been rusting for longer than that, though I doubt it.

Hopefully I'm done dealing with the accident.  Last I heard from the other driver's insurance provider was that they are closing the case.  This means there's a check headed my way, I guess.  It's gonna be hard to keep that check away from my audio budget.  You know that would cross any Head-Fier's mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back