So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 10, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #991 of 2,328
There are many, many headphones that do not have these. They "can" add a slight white haze to the upper frequencies that isn't real noticeable and they can affect the other frequencies in a less noticeable way. The chance of you blowing the drivers is very small because you would have to plug in the phones with the amp set at max and it still might not do it. You may or may not notice a difference with them in but that little circuit board is a piece of junk, imo.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #992 of 2,328
Wow, as they burn-in, the bass is getting noticeably stronger. Daft Punk is really starting to shake my head a bit!

People keep asking what headphones I'm wearing at work ("Are those Bose?"
mad.gif
). Maybe it's because they sound so good, I'm dancing in my seat a little.
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #993 of 2,328
diode board =
confused.gif

Okay -- here it is again:
I wonder if the board contributes to the quirky, long burn-in time needed?
You would think not, but who knows?

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #994 of 2,328
I don't think the circuit board can have an impact on burn-in time. There's as much current/signal/music coming through to the drivers - with or without the PCB/diodes in the path (not talking about sound quality here). Since "burn-in" just means mechanical movement and settling down/loosening up of the drivers, it should be the same either way.

EDIT: I see you edited your post above, silverrain. Well, my answer was directed to what you had written before.
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #995 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the circuit board can have an impact on burn-in time. There's as much current/signal/music coming through to the drivers - with or without the PCB/diodes in the path (not talking about sound quality here). Since "burn-in" just means mechanical movement and settling down/loosening up of the drivers, it should be the same either way.

EDIT: I see you edited your post above, silverrain. Well, my answer was directed to what you had written before.
wink.gif

I tried to change it before anyone noticed!
I figured I was just repeating stuff already covered.
Thanks for your answer anyway.

EDIT: It's b-a-a-c-k....

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #996 of 2,328
No, I don't think there is any reason for it to affect the burn-in time. That isn't what it is about.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #997 of 2,328
ok. I wanted to play this game too. Just received today. Out of the box, the headphones look is superb.

Concering the sound, I have a lot of doubts. First, the high are grainy, the bass is shy and the sound stage is caverneous and...and...the sibilance...(it hurts)

I'm extremly disappointed that out of the box it sounds like that.

Compared to my hd-650 it is night and day. my 650 has even more bass.

I'll try the pink noise brake-in too. Hope things will be better.

(tested on a Denon pmr1500 and MF x-can v3)

To be continued
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #998 of 2,328
For myself I have no idea where they will end up but they do go everywhere in the frequency extremes. This morning they are bright to the point of not enjoyable. Strange burn-in process. If I didn't have other headphones to compare to I would think it was me but it isn't.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #999 of 2,328
I can relate to what you're saying. The transformation these go through is no joke.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #1,000 of 2,328
I don't know how anyone can say these are bass shy- the thought is just not fathomable to me in the slightest.

I just remembered all this time of me coming back and saying that perhaps I'm getting used to them, that I've had them eq'd like mad to tolerate them- bass and treble severely tuned down with mids boosted.

I'll probably just keep them around to have a closed can....or not.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #1,001 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, the high are grainy, the bass is shy and the sound stage is caverneous and...and...the sibilance...(it hurts)

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.

These are bass shy ? I haven't heard that one before. To me, they had plenty off bass even out of the box. With burn in the bass definition got better and tighter.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #1,002 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These are bass shy ? I haven't heard that one before. To me, they had plenty off bass even out of the box. With burn in the bass definition got better and tighter.

When I first put them on they had less bass than my Denon C700s. Now the bass is really starting to come out in them. The difference in ~10 hours is unbelievable.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #1,005 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes I *was* surprised myself. It was the opposite than this 100 pages thread straight out of the box. I bought them for the bass, impact etc... and I did not hear them and it *was* very cold.

or...there was to much trebles that cover them !

Now after 2 hours burn-in (pink noise at very high volume) I hear them. very bassy...maybe too much like a koss (!! no I'm not crazy). The treble is still not good and hurting (like a cheap $30 headphones trebles).

I presume I will say the opposite tomorrow. *Magic*

weird headphones ! I don't understand what's going on here...

Taiwan ? Grado clone ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back