So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Mar 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #977 of 2,328
Hello

Wanted to thank you all for your reviews of the 780's. These helped me purchase my first real set of headphones. My right ear (outer ear) starts to hurt after an hour and half any suggestions to help with comfort?

Thanks

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #978 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldkeith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello

Wanted to thank you all for your reviews of the 780's. These helped me purchase my first real set of headphones. They sound awesome with my imod 4th gen and go vibe petite but my right ear (outer ear) starts to hurt after an hour and half any suggestions to help with comfort?

Thanks

Are you making sure your headband is evenly placed on your head? If it's off to one side you're going to experience discomfort on one side of your skull. Also, is that part of your ear being contacted by the pad?

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #979 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldkeith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello

Wanted to thank you all for your reviews of the 780's. These helped me purchase my first real set of headphones. They sound awesome with my imod 4th gen and go vibe petite but my right ear (outer ear) starts to hurt after an hour and half any suggestions to help with comfort?

Thanks

They will loosen up after a while. When you are not using them place them so they are flexed a bit like on your head. Give them a couple of weeks and either you will adjust
wink.gif
or they will.

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #981 of 2,328
My ALO-780s are better IMO than the Grado 325i for rock/metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading the impressions in this thread I'm starting to think I should send my 325is back to headroom and pick up some 780s.

How do the two phones compare basswise? The 321is are ample but I would love a more visceral slam if that's what the 780s offer up. Also wondering about soundstage as I find the current phones "almost there" for electronic music but needing more space.

I'd be using these for rock/metal/electronic/classical. I'm willing to make a little sacrifice to the first two for the sake of the latter if thats what it takes.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #982 of 2,328
I don't have the 325 but I have sr225 as well as a few other what I consider Rock Can's like the DT990, older 2003 version not the new one. And consider the 780's as the better Rock Can as well. Oh I have the alo-780 as well but when I was using stock I still thought they were a bit better.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #983 of 2,328
Rickio, for you is there a real improvement (not a little if no almost double or near...) between your stock headphone and the ALO-780 to justify $250 extra??.
I am deciding to buy the ALO-780 if the improvement is really substantial. Yes, the most important is the soundstage. For you, how much is the increase in the depth in the stock vs the ALO-780 and whick of the two is faster overall and if the later has better instrument separation (even vs your DT990 03 Ed as reference), the mids tonality; the texture in the bass, extension (who knows if it can good a litle bit deeper), the slam (if the recable doesn't affect in a negative form); and the highs are lifelike as your DT990 (both versions) or even better??
If you can give more impressions, it will be very good
Thank you
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the 325 but I have sr225 as well as a few other what I consider Rock Can's like the DT990, older 2003 version not the new one. And consider the 780's as the better Rock Can as well. Oh I have the alo-780 as well but when I was using stock I still thought they were a bit better.

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #984 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilashort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rickio, for you is there a real improvement (not a little if no almost double or near...) between your stock headphone and the ALO-780 to justify $250 extra??.
I am deciding to buy the ALO-780 if the improvement is really substantial. Yes, the most important is the soundstage. For you, how much is the increase in the depth in the stock vs the ALO-780 and whick of the two is faster overall??
If you can give more impressions, it will be very good
Thank you

I just got the ALO-780 yesterday. I can't say to much more then this for now. From the start with no burn-in the Alo mod version has tamed and smoothed out the treble which I thought was a bit shrill before. That by itself is something that makes me appreciate it more.

I think everyones ears or hearing is a bit different but for me well....I loved the sound of these before but found long sessions fatiguing. Now with tamed highs and more correct I would add, I can enjoy them more. So for me I think they are worth it. But I can't say if that is the case for everyone. As many don't seem to be bothered by the upper end of these headphones.

Just a little more comments. Bass seems more controlled and tighter as well and I loved the bass already but the sound is just better in everything and this is just one day of burn in...

More burn in is needed to make more comments.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #985 of 2,328
Ok so I left these this morning to go to work at 4:30am (I work 12.5 shifts) and they didn't sound too bad but this afternoon hours later they are muddy and the bass is slow. Burn-in is amusing in a way, all the ups and downs. Years ago I would never have believed it but now. . . well I hear it all the time. Looking forward to them coming back. 780's where are you?? :^)

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #986 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so I left these this morning to go to work at 4:30am (I work 12.5 shifts) and they didn't sound too bad but this afternoon hours later they are muddy and the bass is slow. Burn-in is amusing in a way, all the ups and downs. Years ago I would never have believed it but now. . . well I hear it all the time. Looking forward to them coming back. 780's where are you?? :^)

I totally agree John. After a night of burning these in alternating between pink noise, digital silence, Supermassive Black Hole (by Muse), Rachmaninov Concerto, digital silence, my 780's have gotten boomy. Going to continue the burn-in now! I only have 120 hours though so I'm not worried at all.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #987 of 2,328
Just curious... has anyone experimented with the amp settings? I have been playing around with my Tomahawk, and I think these tend to sound better on the low-gain setting. Has anyone else experienced this?

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #988 of 2,328
I'm going to get my 780's recabled by Scott (warrior05) from S2 Audio, and I'm contemplating on whether or not to tell him to remove the diode board or not. I'm mostly getting a recable for a better cable than the stock one and to get rid of a bit of microphonics, but not necessarily to change the sound at all since I love the stocks. I know HeadphoneAddict and jamato already said they would rather remove it, but guys, what if I don't want the sound to change? It won't be that big of a difference will it? Let me know.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #989 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to get my 780's recabled by Scott (warrior05) from S2 Audio, and I'm contemplating on whether or not to tell him to remove the diode board or not. I'm mostly getting a recable for a better cable than the stock one and to get rid of a bit of microphonics, but not necessarily to change the sound at all since I love the stocks. I know HeadphoneAddict and jamato already said they would rather remove it, but guys, what if I don't want the sound to change? It won't be that big of a difference will it? Let me know.

Go for it..and not look back..I enjoyed the stock version as well. My primary point in re-cabling was the same as yours and now enjoy even a bit better sound as you will after getting this done. I can't say whether to remove the diode board or not this is for you to determine yourself. That board can save your drivers if you are not all ways careful with the volume control.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #990 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for it..and not look back..I enjoyed the stock version as well. My primary point in re-cabling was the same as yours and now enjoy even a bit better sound as you will after getting this done. I can't say whether to remove the diode board or not this is for you to determine yourself. That board can save your drivers if you are not all ways careful with the volume control.

Do you have any idea if it affects the sound? I'd rather be safe than sorry although I have never had that problem before. Do many headphones like Grado's or Senn's even have the diode board? If not, I might as well remove it since none of my other headphones have it either
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back