So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Jan 27, 2008 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,328

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
I guess no one has heard them at all? I haven't seen a peep on here, and a search didn't yield anything useful. I have never tried Ultrasones, and would kind of like to add another closed can to the stable.

Anyone?

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 2,328
I think you might be better off giving the refreshed Pro 750 a shot. I really like my open 2500's, but sometimes i miss the isolation.

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by lt.milo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
skylab doesn't have enough closed cans!
haha anyhow, I would also like to see a review.

Yeah, my listening situations are such that I mostly need closed headphones. The more the merrier!
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 2,328
Careless Headphones has a frequency measurement up as well as some impressions.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careless Headphones has a frequency measurement up as well as some impressions.

???

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 2,328
From Headwize:

"3 new models from Ultrasone: HFI580, HFI680, HFI780 and revised specs for the DJ1. All are closed back and foldable, and feature Ultrasone's S-Logic driver arrangement for a natural sound perspective and mu-metal shielding to reduce exposure to magnetic fields."

"The polar-silver-colored HFI-780 is specifically designed for DVD and gaming. It projects a speaker-like sound image valued by gamers. The low frequency ranges are tuned to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like Dolby Headphone and Yamaha's Silent Cinema."

I really liked a lot of the qualities of the PL750 and PL2500, but the S Logic just ruined the overall presentation of the music to me by making the mids shouty.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 2,328
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 2,328
i really want to hear skylab's impressions if he gets any ultrasones. i know he's a bass fan, and likes the beyer sound sig, so i have a feeling he'd enjoy the prolines as well. btw why not just go straight for the pro750 or 2500?

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 2,328
Well, if they all incorporate S-Logic, I will be taking a pass, I think. Maybe there will be versions without that? I need to read up on it more, but in general I don't like that sort of thing.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(from Headwize) "The polar-silver-colored HFI-780 is specifically designed for DVD and gaming. It projects a speaker-like sound image valued by gamers. The low frequency ranges are tuned to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like Dolby Headphone and Yamaha's Silent Cinema."

The Ultrasones geared for movies tend to be pretty bass-heavy, in a boomy way (unlike the Proline's very extended, textured bass). Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand
I really liked a lot of the qualities of the PL750 and PL2500, but the S Logic just ruined the overall presentation of the music to me by making the mids shouty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if they all incorporate S-Logic, I will be taking a pass, I think. Maybe there will be versions without that? I need to read up on it more, but in general I don't like that sort of thing.

I never found the S-Logic to make the midrange shouty on either the PL750's or the 2500's. Although, if I were to identify their main weakness, it is in the midrange.

Sky, it'd be a shame to dismiss the top Ultrasones based on such a bias before hearing them. As a closed headphone fan, you really owe it to yourself to spend some quality time with the Proline 750 and/or Edition9's.

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not only do the 780s have S-Logic but "S-Logic Plus" for extra bass.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 2,328
I am not going to dismiss them, I promise. Once available I will go over to Music Direct and listen to a pair of 780's.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 2,328
i think u should go for the pro750s instead for a little bit more money. it has the best bass i've ever heard and that's coming from the dt990s. the s-logic effect is just a fancy name for offset drivers, and it's very subtle. most people couldn't even tell a difference. i can tell, but i don't disagree that it's subtle. it just makes the the soundstage more circular around my head. i prefer the dt990s soundstage over it. it's larger and more airy. but in bass extension, tightness, slam, they beat the dt990s hands down, while matching the beyer's midrange and high quality.

i found the dt990s to have peaky treble that i needed to eq a lot to get rid of, the prolines have a near perfect tonal balance after burn-in that requires no eq. my friends confirmed this as well.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #15 of 2,328
Hmmmm...OK, maybe I will try the Pro750...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back