So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Dec 11, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #2,236 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about that. The conversion factor given, (3 $US / PLN), and a 500 PLN budget led me to believe that an amp in the $1500 US price range was being asked about. If the conversion factor is ( 3 PLN / $US), then an Amphora is WAY over the intended budget of more like $170 US. XE just gave me a conversion of about $177 US for 500 PLN.

At about $160 US ($159 + shipping at Whiplash Audio) I use my AMP3, a DAP with a built-in Class A amplifier, with my 780's. The 780's sound really great straight out of the AMP3 - very nearly as good as my favorite rig with the 780's: the AMP3 as the source, amped by the Amphora. The AMP3, all by itself, brings out of the 780's all of the sonic qualities that I bought and love them for. The AMP3 can also be used with another source as just an amp. I do not use the AMP3 in that way, so I cannot say from experience how that will sound with the 780's.

I would have guessed the AMP3 would be a good choice with a re-cabled HFI-780, based on my previous experience with the HFI-780, but I'd worry it would be bright or sibilant with the stock cable. I have not tried this since I traded the phones for a guitar.

The Travagans Red with AD743 opamps is a good desktop amp for a recabled HFI-780, but it might sound better with the OPA627 opamps with the stock cable (less bright).

I also reviewed some USB DAC/amps using my re-cabled HFI-780 while I still had them, and commented on what worked: UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #2,239 of 2,328
Hey I'm highly considering picking up a pair of these but I have to ask how they do with rock - more specifically post rock/post metal/sludge/downtempo kind of stuff. I've heard that these do well with "rock" Is the lack of mids going to be a problem?

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #2,240 of 2,328
They don't really lack mids, it's just that they have a reasonable amount of bass and treble, where other phones are less matched to a human equal-loudness contour.

For my taste they work just fine with Isis, Pelican, Clutch, Sleep, Earth, Big Lazy, Explosions In The Sky, Jesu, Red Sparowes, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2,241 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by OUTRO 13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I'm highly considering picking up a pair of these but I have to ask how they do with rock - more specifically post rock/post metal/sludge/downtempo kind of stuff. I've heard that these do well with "rock" Is the lack of mids going to be a problem?

Check my music in my signature (Last.fm). I love them.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #2,242 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For my taste they work just fine with Isis, Pelican, Clutch, Sleep, Earth, Big Lazy, Explosions In The Sky, Jesu, Red Sparowes, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

You pretty much hit the nail right on the head with that one. I listen to that and more (mostly a little more agressive, like isis and pelican)
L3000.gif

I'm pretty much sold on these because I listen to a bit of trance/industrial/shoegaze/ebm too. Occasionally some lighter hip hop as well so the bass should help in that department too.

I also wanted something for gaming and home theater and these do that as well. I'm diggin it! Thanks for the clarification!

These headphones seem to be able to do everything fairly well.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #2,244 of 2,328
I got to listen to both, and I thought the S2 cable was very competitive to the ALO, and actually less microphonic.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #2,245 of 2,328
Warrior05 still does the recables right? I think I'm gonna have to get one, because I'm having a really hard time standing this treble. Also, there isn't much instrument separation. It's kind of a messy blend of bass and treble. Even with the recable, it seems like you didn't like them much in comparison to other headphones, though, right skylab? I'm kinda regretting getting them now. Thanks for your advice btw

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #2,246 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warrior05 still does the recables right? I think I'm gonna have to get one, because I'm having a really hard time standing this treble. Also, there isn't much instrument separation. It's kind of a messy blend of bass and treble. Even with the recable, it seems like you didn't like them much in comparison to other headphones, though, right skylab? I'm kinda regretting getting them now. Thanks for your advice btw

Yes, I do believe Scott is still re-cabling these. He re-cabled my HFI-580s and HFI-680s. Yes, Rob (Skylab) loved these, he just loved his Beyers better...
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

I have two pairs (one Blue Dragon & one Black Dragon) and love these. The re-cable made everything tighter and tamed the highs. That being said, I love the Ultrasone sound, though. Do you still like their sound sig? Remember, a re-cable on these is not going to transform them into something different?

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #2,247 of 2,328
Quote:

The Ultrasone has a sound that you like or hate, can't stress that enough. For the price, I can't believe the amount of detail Ultrasone reveal in their highs and lows. For some people that are adjusted to a more neutral headphone, the Ultrasone sound will come as a shock, and many times as a disliking.

People that listen to their music are at various levels of appreciating music, and of many different genres. I've switched from hip-hop/rap to electronica. I've even become more appreciative of vocals and classical music. Though, I may upgrade to that genre later, I really do enjoy my electronica. I actually found vocals in music to be overused and overrated, but after listening to more songs involving them and taking a chance with more variety in headphones, I've began to appreciate that aspect of music more. Audiphilism (if that's a word) is a journey. I've personally found it to be more about appreciating music than the amount spent on headphones, though they are quite correlated for me.

Ultrasones sound different, and to different people sound good or bad. Someone that likes them now, may love them in years to come. That is all to blame to the appreciation of certain kinds of music. Not everyone gravitates toward neutrality in headphones. The best advice anyone can give, is to simply experiment. Right now, I love the Ultrasone sound. It gets me involved into the music I listen, better than any headphone I've tried. You should open what ever budget you have into comparing the Ultrasones to other brands.

Personally, I've have not listened to a recabledd headphone. However, from my research, the recabling will not convert a dislike into a liking of a particular headphone. Take what you like and dislike about the headphone, and apply that to your new search for a headphone. That's what the "sorry about your wallet" is all about
biggrin.gif

I've personally found that spending what ever budget you have into acquiring lower end headphones, helps in tracking down what you really want in a headphone. Reviews can only do so much! Good luck! Find friends that share similar interests as you and maybe you can save a buck or two
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #2,248 of 2,328
Quote:

I liked them generally, but they were not quite comfortable enough for me, and I never did really learn to like the treble, even with the recable. But in general I think they are good cans, although today I would buy the Shure 840 (which I have kept) instead if you want a closed can in this price range.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #2,250 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I do believe Scott is still re-cabling these. He re-cabled my HFI-580s and HFI-680s. Yes, Rob (Skylab) loved these, he just loved his Beyers better...
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

I have two pairs (one Blue Dragon & one Black Dragon) and love these. The re-cable made everything tighter and tamed the highs. That being said, I love the Ultrasone sound, though. Do you still like their sound sig? Remember, a re-cable on these is not going to transform them into something different?

The sound sig is fine, but I just feel like a recable would help a lot. From what I read in the ALO thread, a new cable makes it MUCH better than stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back