SMSL Sanskrit 24bit 192kHz USB DAC
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #121 of 156
I'd avoid the 10th iteration,

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-smsl-sanskrit-10th-dac.5702/

As indicated here, performance is not good. SMSL SU-8 can be had for $170 brand new. Used in the 140 range. Easy decision at that price. Best part is that both XLR and SE can output simultaneously and a remote is included. You can use it with powered monitors and a headphone amp with ease and no cable switching.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #122 of 156
mmm
at the end it says:

"EDIT: with input from SMSL engineers, the USB port is under powered. Using an external power supply restores full performance. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-smsl-sanskrit-10th-dac.5702/post-127278. Assuming that you use an external power supply with Sanskrit 10th, I can now recommend it."

I have several 9th generation ones with the linear power supply, very happy.

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #123 of 156
Nice thanks for pointing that out! Looks like this one performs admirably for what it is.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #126 of 156
I've not had experience with the SMSL THX, how warm does it run? After several hours of course.
After my experience with the older Sanskrit and the SU-8&DA-8 I do enjoy their products. Topping is also exceptional, maybe even a notch above.

May 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #132 of 156
I've upgraded to a Beresford Caiman Seg Dac but the SMSL is going on my Hifi downstairs as I don't use the Hifi as often as I do the headphone setup upstairs but it will be a good upgrade from the Fiio Taishan I'm currently running downstairs.

May 19, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #133 of 156
SMSL Sanskrit 10th anniversary Mk2 DAC arrived in my PC 'work at home' headphones system this morning. It replaces a 5-yr old Audiophonics DAC PCM5102 (on battery).

So, now the setup is: HP Spectre W10 laptop running Roon remote->SMSL via USB->Trilogy 931->Sennheiser HD800. See pic.

I've done a quick comparison with my main speaker system's Chord Qutest, temporarily brought into this headphones system. 3hrs each. On first impressions, the SMSL isn't far off, for 1/10th of the cost. I might take the SMSL into the main speaker system later, though I can already feel the Qutest blushing slightly.

As widely reported, this SMSL DAC benefits hugely from aux power, rather than just USB power. For now, I'm really enjoying this cheap little blue box. Bargain.

SMSLSanskrit10thMk2.jpg

May 20, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #134 of 156
.... As widely reported, this SMSL DAC benefits hugely from aux power, rather than just USB power. For now, I'm really enjoying this cheap little blue box. Bargain.
Hi ! thanks for the very interesting review. Please share your opinions in case you will try any external power supply.
When i see an audio device relying on usb bus voltage for power i am surprised The 1st think i learned is how weak and noisy is usb bus voltage.
Thanks a lot, gino

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #135 of 156
Please share your opinions in case you will try any external power supply.
When i see an audio device relying on usb bus voltage for power i am surprised The 1st think i learned is how weak and noisy is usb bus voltage.

See below pic, which shows the two micro USB ports on the back of the DAC.

In short, if possible, both ports should be used for best performance; one for data, the other for power. I think it would be a gross injustice to the designer(s) to assume that this DAC relies on USB power. I suspect the problem is down to communication issues and limited user guidance.

Purely out of interest, I first tried the DAC with only the PC connected to IN1/POWER via a cheap USB cable, so both power & data were provided from the PC using just one USB cable. The DAC worked in this configuration but the sound was congested, dull and uninspiring. I was expecting that outcome though, due to my pre-purchase research. Look on audiosciencereview.com and elsewhere for explanations of the recommended power connections. The unit has been designed to benefit from a separate power supply for optimal performance.

So, I just connected an old 2A micro-USB 'phone charger to the AUX POWER socket. The SQ improved significantly. If and when I have more time, I might try a better power supply but for now I am very happy with the performance.

IMO, although this is far from the last word in DAC performance, the sound to pound ratio is truly impressive.
1589972098131.png

Attachments

• 1589970968349.png
    1589970968349.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back