SMSL Sanskrit 24bit 192kHz USB DAC
Dec 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #91 of 156
  Hi, can  you give an example of "wooly", "dark", etc sounds. I am trying to associate the lingo with actual sounds to determine a preference myself. Thanks.

Very difficult to describe, because it's subjective. Which headphones do you own, or have tried? Maybe I could link the description to their sound. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #92 of 156
What about pairing them with studio monitors designed for a flat accurate response, like PreSonus E4.5/E5

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #93 of 156
Has anyone put the S.M.S.L Sanskrit 6th gen. side to side with the Gustard U12 XMOS USB DAC?, Which is better?

I currently have a S.M.S.L Sanskrit 6th gen. with a Little Dot I+. They look good to gether because they are the same size. It looks like they where made to be together.

But I wonder if the Gustard U12 XMOS USB DAC would be an upgrade in sound. I am also waiting for a Little Dot mk II to arrive.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #94 of 156
I own the x12 and used to own the 5th gen Sanskrit. The x12 is a lot better and has better functionalities and connectivity options.
The Sanskrit is a nice DAC for the price. You can also upgrade it with a linear power supply for better results.

Hope this helps!

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #95 of 156
  Has anyone put the S.M.S.L Sanskrit 6th gen. side to side with the Gustard U12 XMOS USB DAC?, Which is better?

I currently have a S.M.S.L Sanskrit 6th gen. with a Little Dot I+. They look good to gether because they are the same size. It looks like they where made to be together.

But I wonder if the Gustard U12 XMOS USB DAC would be an upgrade in sound. I am also waiting for a Little Dot mk II to arrive.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Very nice picture you took. It looks like a good combo. I had the Sanskrit and the M8 from SMSL, I would tell you that both sounded great to my ears. I upgraded after a couple months, but I miss them. The M8 sounded really nice to my ears (with that glare in treble of course) and the Sanskrit sounds relaxing.

For my impression on the Sanskrit, I think it is a relaxing sound and good enough for everything. Very clean sound (for the 6th version). But it lacks imaging/soundstage and the last few 'bits' of resolution. So I will recommend it to you if you don't need soundstage.

Value-wise, it is on par with Modi 2 series, and ODAC. Buy any of those and you will be happy on the DAC for a while.

I can't speak for the Gustard, I believe it could be a good investment too.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #96 of 156
Very nice picture you took. It looks like a good combo. I had the Sanskrit and the M8 from SMSL, I would tell you that both sounded great to my ears. I upgraded after a couple months, but I miss them. The M8 sounded really nice to my ears (with that glare in treble of course) and the Sanskrit sounds relaxing.

For my impression on the Sanskrit, I think it is a relaxing sound and good enough for everything. Very clean sound (for the 6th version). But it lacks imaging/soundstage and the last few 'bits' of resolution. So I will recommend it to you if you don't need soundstage.

Value-wise, it is on par with Modi 2 series, and ODAC. Buy any of those and you will be happy on the DAC for a while.

I can't speak for the Gustard, I believe it could be a good investment too.

How does it compare image wise against the odac? Did you conect them using anything between the dacs and the computer?

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #99 of 156
I'd recommend going Mimby at this point, as linear isn't cheap

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #102 of 156
Anyone looking for a linear power supply for their Sanskrit might want to check this out: http://ebay.to/2m4KhS0

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #103 of 156
I have a Sanskrit DAC and looking for an Upgrade.

I don't know which version it is. I guess one of the first. Like 5 years old.

Is 6th generation better? Looking for a dac which opens up the soundstage and better in lower frequencys.

On my list

Topping D30
Smsl Sanskrit Pro B (always nice to have Bluetooth) and
Smsl M8 or M8a
Schiit Modi2
Fx audio muse 03

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #104 of 156
I have a Sanskrit DAC and looking for an Upgrade.

I don't know which version it is. I guess one of the first. Like 5 years old.

Is 6th generation better? Looking for a dac which opens up the soundstage and better in lower frequencys.

On my list

Topping D30
Smsl Sanskrit Pro B (always nice to have Bluetooth) and
Smsl M8 or M8a
Schiit Modi2
Fx audio muse 03
Sanskrit 6th has huge soundstage, but only when used with an external linear power supply. Nice wooly bass, but less resolving in the treble. Sounds warm but a little bit veiled.
Schiit Modi2Uber has somewhat congested soundstage and not enough sub-bass.
You can get now M8 quite cheap, since M8A is around. It has better resolution, the bass is tight but somewhat lean. It is however better with linear power supply. Still it is more happy on the treble side, like all dacs with the Sabre chip.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #105 of 156
Sanskrit 6th has huge soundstage, but only when used with an external linear power supply. Nice wooly bass, but less resolving in the treble. Sounds warm but a little bit veiled.
Schiit Modi2Uber has somewhat congested soundstage and not enough sub-bass.
You can get now M8 quite cheap, since M8A is around. It has better resolution, the bass is tight but somewhat lean. It is however better with linear power supply. Still it is more happy on the treble side, like all dacs with the Sabre chip.

Thanks for your recommendations.... As we most think newer is better.

Can i conclude in your swerve that the M8 is nicer sounding than the M8a?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back