Sinlgepower Silver or Black
Aug 22, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 116
Black or silver would be my choice. But in the end I think I would go with black.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 116
clear plastic or pink

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 116
Pink isn't going to happen.

I'm narrowing it down to black or chrome.

More importantly, what features would you incorporate into a reference, custom, cost-no-object SS amp?.... other than tubes, you tube freaks.

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #20 of 116
Wow!! Silver looks awesome!! (drool, drool)

Aug 22, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #21 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Pink isn't going to happen.

I'm narrowing it down to black or chrome.

More importantly, what features would you incorporate into a reference, custom, cost-no-object SS amp?.... other than tubes, you tube freaks.

I especially like having a loop out so you can drive both headphone amps off your best source. I would add preamp outputs on the amp too. The cost would not be much more and then you would have a state of the art SS preamp too. If you are going to switch between various headphones I would get a high/ low gain switch .... and this is a good option to have if the amp will be doing preamp duty so you can get a good gain match with your power amp. Stepped attenuators for precise channel matching would be helpful when running balanced .... especially if you are going to have dual volume controls. A remote for volume and/ or input switching would be very cool too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I especially like having a loop out so you can drive both headphone amps off your best source. I would add preamp outputs on the amp too. The cost would not be much more and then you would have a state of the art SS preamp too. If you are going to switch between various headphones I would get a high/ low gain switch .... and this is a good option to have if the amp will be doing preamp duty so you can get a good gain match with your power amp. Stepped attenuators for precise channel matching would be helpful when running balanced .... especially if you are going to have dual volume controls. A remote for volume and/ or input switching would be very cool too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. I think I have most of that covered. Since I'm going to have 4 mono channels, I'm thinking about making one pair have an option for a little bass boost.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 116
I like the silver for the SS, and you already have the black for the tubed. I agree with the earlier poster that the silver really brings the look of the corners out.

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #25 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I like the silver for the SS, and you already have the black for the tubed. I agree with the earlier poster that the silver really brings the look of the corners out.

Thats a good point. I have a silver GS-1 and it looks good. I am changing my vote.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 116
I think it depends on how the room is decorated. I think the silver would look fabulous if the room was kinda futuristic looking like a chic modern hotel room or lounge. Especially with the k701 to compliment.

Aug 23, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 116
Two Words....

Tie Die

Now seriously, I'd go with silver personally. I've only seen pictures of the SDS chassis, but I haven't been a huge fan of it. I don't like the corners, I'd prefer a nice simple rounded edge like Classe audio hardware. Really who cares. A system that fancy and all senses other than hearing are goign to shut down.

Aug 23, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #28 of 116
Mikhail can definitely do gold, I saw a half-built MPX3 (I think it was an MPX3) in gold when I visited. And another in silver, but that's beside the point.

Aug 23, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #29 of 116
Either gold or silver plating (even copper) will make a better ground plane than the stock aluminum. The silver or copper will tarnish, though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back