Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #436 of 461
Hmmm, I don't think it sucks, compared to 5.5g or the other DAPs I own. Besides, saying it sucks really doesn't say much. Maybe it's your phones. Not sure. But while it may not equal that of the Zune80 on balance, it's doesn't send me running for the exits either. There seem to be other iPod owners who posted here who think it's pretty decent. It was my first iPod (the 5.5g belonged to a family member), but I find it to be fine. Guess you will be sending yours back.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #437 of 461
Yup, mine sounds terrific. Did a lot of comparisons with my Headsix out of line-out vs. the Touch's HP out and was "too close to call".

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #438 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I don't think it sucks, compared to 5.5g or the other DAPs I own. Besides, saying it sucks really doesn't say much. Maybe it's your phones. Not sure. But while it may not equal that of the Zune80 on balance, it's doesn't send me running for the exits either. There seem to be other iPod owners who posted here who think it's pretty decent. It was my first iPod (the 5.5g belonged to a family member), but I find it to be fine. Guess you will be sending yours back.

So you're saying Etys ER4S suck. Interesting. Lol. And no, I won't be sending it back. Just waiting for my LOD parts to arrive so I can plug it with an amp.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #439 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're saying Etys ER4S suck. Interesting. Lol. And no, I won't be sending it back. Just waiting for my LOD parts to arrive so I can plug it with an amp.

I don't think that the Ety ER4S sucks. In fact, it's more like the ER4S is a poor match with an unamped portable player to begin with. In other words, synergy between source, amp and transducers is very important (or, in this particular case, it just painfully reveals how gutless the headphone outs on portable audio players really are). The ER4S requires a lot of amplifier power - something that no portable player of any type can reliably deliver - just to perform adequately. Without a dedicated headphone amp, the ER4S directly out of a portable player's headphone jack will sound dull and lifeless even if the player's output is loud enough (and yes, I did try my ER4S with my 4G Nano once, with the same hammered, gutless sound that I had previously gotten with the ER4S from most of my other portable players directly out of their headphone jacks).

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #441 of 461
Yeah I know the Etys ER4S need an amp. Was just testing how reliable the Touch's internal amp was. Because IIRC the iPod 5.5G's HP out did fairly decent with my ER4S. On the Touch, treble's were harsh and bass was muddy on decent listening levels.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #442 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I know the Etys ER4S need an amp. Was just testing how reliable the Touch's internal amp was. Because IIRC the iPod 5.5G's HP out did fairly decent with my ER4S. On the Touch, treble's were harsh and bass was muddy on decent listening levels.

This might have been because the headphone outs on earlier iPods, including the 5.5G Video, actually roll off both ends of the audible frequency spectrum rather sharply. I tried a 5.5G once (with really bassy headphones), only to discover somewhat weaker-than-normal bass and treble levels - the same as my old 4G monochrome iPod. (But then again, the impedance mismatch between the ultra-low-impedance fart cannons and the 5.5G's jack might also have contributed to the 5.5G's weak-kneed sound.)

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #443 of 461
Questions please, sorry if these were already answered (most likely) but after looking through 15 pages of pretty much pure speculation, I just decided to ask for myself.

Do all of Apple's current lineup have the same SQ? (Nano 4G, Touch 2G, Classic 120)

The sound style is just neutral right?

And... How do they compare to the iPod Video 5.5

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #444 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do all of Apple's current lineup have the same SQ? (Nano 4G, Touch 2G, Classic 120)

The Classic 120 does not sound the same as either the Touch 2G or the Nano 4G. This is because the Classic 120 uses a different audio processor chip than either the Touch or the Nano.

And the Video 5.5G does not sound the same as any of the current iPods - again, because the 5.5G uses a different processor chip than the current iPods.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #446 of 461
Having recently a-b'd the ipod touch 2g/nano with my sony, I was blown away by the difference. Most notably, the separation/soundstage of the ipods made the sony seem like mono vs surround sound. The sound in general from the ipods was cleaner, crisper and the bass seemed fuller and deeper. This was all done without eq.
Now, I was waiting for the Cowon s9, but having heard the ipod's, the only question left is ipod touch or nano? Even if the cowon somehow betters the sq slightly, the UI (judging by past products) is going to fall far short of the ipod UI.
So interms of sq, id pick one of these ipods over sony or sansa anyday.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #447 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by siresmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having recently a-b'd the ipod touch 2g/nano with my sony, I was blown away by the difference. Most notably, the separation/soundstage of the ipods made the sony seem like mono vs surround sound. The sound in general from the ipods was cleaner, crisper and the bass seemed fuller and deeper. This was all done without eq.
Now, I was waiting for the Cowon s9, but having heard the ipod's, the only question left is ipod touch or nano? Even if the cowon somehow betters the sq slightly, the UI (judging by past products) is going to fall far short of the ipod UI.
So interms of sq, id pick one of these ipods over sony or sansa anyday.

Which sony model?

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #449 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by siresmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sony 610, the small rounded one.

I cannot comment on this one but the new Sony S638F sounds on par with the new iPod Touch 2G/Nano 4G. The main difference is the little bass emphasis of the Sony.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #450 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot comment on this one but the new Sony S638F sounds on par with the new iPod Touch 2G/Nano 4G. The main difference is the little bass emphasis of the Sony.

Interesting.

There is such a wide variety of opinions on the iPod Touch 2G sound quality that I don't know who to believe. Ahh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back