Since they are now official: Nano 4G and iPod Touch 2G Sound Quality Thread
Oct 18, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #422 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, mine works fine for ages as long as you don't unplug it midway through.

BTW, I'm using an adapter that I got off ebay.

Hmmmmm...... wonder why mine keeps dropping out then, I got mine from "awwan" on eBay.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #423 of 461
I just starting using an line out IC (made by Lil Knight, a very fine piece of gear) with my Touch 2G and no shutdown problems using the line out. I am not using the dock, just the cable, which is very different, of course. But wanted you to get my take on it. And, I have to say, the line out IC that Lil Knight made for me is worth every penny. Wow, it really smooths out the Touch sound, which was pretty good to begin with. I am going to be using the IC when I am at home or sitting (planes, etc) from this point on, it's that good.

Oct 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #424 of 461
Hi tstarn06
So the cable definitely by-passes the internal amp and volume control in the Touch 2G and is a true line out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just starting using an line out IC (made by Lil Knight, a very fine piece of gear) with my Touch 2G and no shutdown problems using the line out. I am not using the dock, just the cable, which is very different, of course. But wanted you to get my take on it. And, I have to say, the line out IC that Lil Knight made for me is worth every penny. Wow, it really smooths out the Touch sound, which was pretty good to begin with. I am going to be using the IC when I am at home or sitting (planes, etc) from this point on, it's that good.

Oct 20, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #426 of 461
Quote:

Bit confused, any photos?

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #427 of 461
I mean, I am not using one of those inexpensive iPod "line out" docks that require a mini to mini cable to work. Mine is a plug/cable/mini IC that goes directly into the line-out of the Touch, much like you'd see at ALO or those types of vendors. Just the connector, the cable and the mini-plug. And when it is plugged in, yes, it bypasses the HP and volume control circuit. I am using it with the MiniboxE+, which is a very nice amp (if you can find one).

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #428 of 461
Quote:

I mean, I am not using one of those inexpensive iPod "line out" docks that require a mini to mini cable to work. Mine is a plug/cable/mini IC that goes directly into the line-out of the Touch, much like you'd see at ALO or those types of vendors. Just the connector, the cable and the mini-plug. And when it is plugged in, yes, it bypasses the HP and volume control circuit. I am using it with the MiniboxE+, which is a very nice amp (if you can find one).

Oh, Ok thats what I thought but was a bit unsure when you said you weren't using a dock.

Got the MiniBox-E+ as well and agree it is a great amp.

Quote:

So the cable definitely by-passes the internal amp and volume control in the Touch 2G and is a true line out

?

Not sure it by-passes the internal amp as the EQ settings still have an effect through the lineout.

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #429 of 461
You are right about EQ, but volume doesn't work. I found the initial use of the IC/MiniboxE+ much too bassy with my X10s. Then realized I had turned on the EQ's bass booster on my Touch for a friend who has an iPhone. He got some UEs (the ones made for iPhone) and felt they lacked bass. So I tried plugging his phones into my Touch, and used the bass boost, which helped, but not much. Man, do they, the UEs, lack bass (They are really thin compared to the Klipsch X10s). Anyway, when I felt the bass was too much, I checked EQ settings and sure enough, I had forgotten to turn off the EQ. With the new IC, I don't even need to use the MiniboxE+ bass boost with the X10s. Now, the sound is magnificent. Anyway, mine played way past 10 minutes, no problem.

The issue of whether or not the IC bypasses the internal amp has generated much speculation, but Lil Knight seems to know his stuff. Either way, it's a very nice incremental improvement to the already pretty good Touch SQ. At least it is to me.

As for my iPhone friend, he is pondering sending back the UE's and buying some X10s. His only hesitation is no mic on the cable (I use the Griffin iTalk on my X10s, and it works fine). Sorry for his wallet.

Oct 21, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #430 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by tadad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure it by-passes the internal amp as the EQ settings still have an effect through the lineout.

The EQ is digital, it's not amped.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #431 of 461
I own both the 1G and 2G 32GB Touch -- as far as SQ, the 2G is better (more treble, sharper -- using Atrio M8) but not enough to justify the upgrade.

I would say that the sound signature of the 2G touch is more pleasing with classical music -- probably due to superior separation of instruments and more clarity and detail.

The 1G, while more veiled, is a bit less shrill to the ears. The 1G seems to fill in the mid range better but the trade off is a much lower treble ceiling. This is probably due to the source music not the 2G touch's ability to reproduce the mids.

Nor does the battery life seem to be vastly superior. Not sure why but app store apps seem to burn time faster than listening to music. Hope they fix this over time.

I also notice that wifi seems to take longer to initialize with teh 2G touch. Some times I have to pwr cycle the 2G touch to get the wifi up.

Build quality and material quality seem about the same with perhaps a slight edge to the 1G touch.

If given the choice between the two I'd go for the 2G touch, but that's primarily based on my preference for more treble.

I can't really comment on bass as I don't listen to rap or rock but it does seem to be more punchy as previously reported -- but this again is based on the quality of the source and its presence in the source recording whereas the 1G touch seemed to smooth things out more to a BOSE'ish mediocrity -- meaning it made everything sound the same to a degree -- i don't know if this is the "warm" quality that's been reported but I do know that it seemed to fill and equalize recordings better when teh source wasn't so hot, not reveal the lack.

I guess this is more of an agreement that the 2G is more audiophile grade in that it better reveals poor quality source files -- I had a nice audiophile Eclipse + Soundstream car setup 2000 watts, blah blah in a BMW back in 2005 and it was very disappointing in the sense that most CDs were shown to be poor recordings and I found myself buying stuff that was a good recording but not something I would normally listen too.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #432 of 461
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwallace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the 1G and 2G 32GB Touch -- as far as SQ, the 2G is better (more treble, sharper -- using Atrio M6) but not enough to justify the upgrade.

I would say that the sound signature of the 2G touch is more pleasing with classical music -- probably due to superior separation of instruments and more clarity and detail.

The 1G, while more veiled, is a bit less shrill to the ears. The 1G seems to fill in the mid range better but the trade off is a much lower treble ceiling. This is probably due to the source music not the 2G touch's ability to reproduce the mids.

Nor does the battery life seem to be vastly superior. Not sure why but app store apps seem to burn time faster than listening to music. Hope they fix this over time.

I also notice that wifi seems to take longer to initialize with teh 2G touch. Some times I have to pwr cycle the 2G touch to get the wifi up.

Build quality and material quality seem about the same with perhaps a slight edge to the 1G touch.

If given the choice between the two I'd go for the 2G touch, but that's primarily based on my preference for more treble.

I can't really comment on bass as I don't listen to rap or rock but it does seem to be more punchy as previously reported -- but this again is based on the quality of the source and its presence in the source recording whereas the 1G touch seemed to smooth things out more to a BOSE'ish mediocrity -- meaning it made everything sound the same to a degree -- i don't know if this is the "warm" quality that's been reported but I do know that it seemed to fill and equalize recordings better when teh source wasn't so hot, not reveal the lack.

I guess this is more of an agreement that the 2G is more audiophile grade in that it better reveals poor quality source files -- I had a nice audiophile Eclipse + Soundstream car setup 2000 watts, blah blah in a BMW back in 2005 and it was very disappointing in the sense that most CDs were shown to be poor recordings and I found myself buying stuff that was a good recording but not something I would normally listen too.

It's nice to know I 'm not the only one who has to engage the wifi twice sometimes
smile.gif
11O% agree with you're sound assessment between the 1st and 2nd gen touch.

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #433 of 461
One other plus about the 2G Touch is that it's noticeably lighter which makes for easier reading in bed while in a horizontal position. This seems like a small issue until you swap back and forth and notice the extra weight has an ergonomic impact on your reading enjoyment.

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #434 of 461
I recently got back into the iPod 'upgrade' game - with a 16GB Nano (black).

So far, so good - but I only listened to the newest Nano with Denon C351 IEM's (purchased the same day as the new iPod), Koss KSC-75 clips and Sony CD2000 headphones. This iPod will definitely displace both of my older iPods (a 4G 20GB 'regular' iPod and a 1G 4GB Nano) for everyday listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back