Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,567 of 3,855
It's kind of off topic from the current discussions, and it's been posted before by Baka? (I don't quite remember), but I took some photos of the 940's internals if anyone is interested at all. I wonder if the acoustic filter is the same one that the 1840 will have. I'm not entirely sure how the filter affects the sound of a headphone, but I've read numerous posts that adding cotton can dampen the sound waves and slightly increase the bass response (please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood).

Left earpiece

Left earpiece: close-up

Opened left earpiece

Opened left earpiece: second circuit for the detachable cable; what's the metal bar on the right-hand side of the housing for?

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,568 of 3,855

Quote:
> Maybe I am too "inside" the orchestra....the instruments are all over my head...

Isn't that the definition of a bad sound stage though somewhat? Good soundstage is supposed to sound like the music is coming from outside your head, whereas poor soundstage sounds like there are instruments lodged in your brain. That's what I thought, anyway.

Headphones and image (which soundstage is a part) are not (read:never) accurately portrayed by Headphones. The 800, with driver placement, cup geometry and a tailored frequency response manipulate an "image". I don't agree with the Sennheiser effect. It was pleasing with many orchestral recordings but wasn't natural (IMO). The effect didn't translate to a closed mic'd duo (as example). You have to find the least objectionable coloration and forge ahead.

So consistent "outside your head" comes from mostly "outside" sourcing. My Vandersteen 5A is the better of catching the gist of a full orchestra than any Headphone experience if have yet encountered. Most competent two channel will be....  It's a visceral experience that Headphones lack!

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,569 of 3,855

Quote:
For the millionth time, the soundstage is in the recording, not created by the headphones!!! With any headphone, if the drivers are matched, you will hear it correctly

Exactly. A-B'ing between a standard stereo recording and the binaural equivalent easily shows this.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2,570 of 3,855

Quote:
Exactly. A-B'ing between a standard stereo recording and the binaural equivalent easily shows this.

Trying to reset the industry and make binaural recordings as a norm....not likely. Unless Headphone-ing grows 8-10 times it's allotted size
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2,571 of 3,855

Quote:
For the millionth time, the soundstage is in the recording, not created by the headphones!!! With any headphone, if the drivers are matched, you will hear it correctly

This echoes my experience well. Even my ibuds can have an impressive sound stage if given the proper recording.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2,572 of 3,855

Quote:

Hm, I guess I'm confused now. Why is it a general consensus that an open-back headphone has a larger soundstage and better instrument separation than a closed-back headphone? Is it due to the enclosure of the drivers themselves?

*This sounds more like a Sound Science post than a Shure SRH 940 post...*

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #2,573 of 3,855
Just got off the phone with headphonebar. Really nice guy. He is sending me some new fiio e7 screen protectors and a rubber piece. I asked him why and he said he valued my patronage. So he gave me a tracking number and told me i should receive it by tuesday at the latest. For anyone looking to buy from a canadian dealer go with headphone bar. Fantastic service.

I will post immediate shure srh940 impressions once i receive them.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2,574 of 3,855

Quote:

Trying to reset the industry and make binaural recordings as a norm....not likely. Unless Headphone-ing grows 8-10 times it's allotted size
wink.gif

That's true. But with the growth of the headphone industry over the past few years, my fingers are crossed for more binaural recordings. I recently picked up an Ottmar Leibert album (Up Close) and it is indeed binaural and sounds GREAT!

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #2,575 of 3,855

Quote:
trottweiler should I buy the 6400 or the 8400?

Not sure why you're asking about the HRT MSII, that's an overpriced DAC.

Overpriced?! It's only $150! Considering how good it sounds, that's a fair price and was a nice upgrade for my Q701 and other headphones.
$150 for a DAC is cheap really. Please don't mentioned the E7, ugh. I was thinking the HRT would be perfect for the SRH-940 since it's a slightly warm sounding DAC.

Depends on what sound signature you want. I prefer the 6400 because it was better for vocals to me and gave me the impression of more forward mids. Ok, not really forward, but more so than the 8400. IMO it's like comparing the K601 to the K702. Fans of the K702 should get the 8400
biggrin.gif
People probably won't agree with what KRK is the one that's closest to neutral. Even I'm not sure! Can't really go by graphs either.

8400 would be best since it does come with memory foam pads and the 6400 doesn't.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #2,576 of 3,855
I got a new pair of 940's in the mail from Shure (new accessories and everything, no charge) on Monday after sending my original in for RMA due to a broken headband.  Apparently they've been revised at some point: The metal portions of the ear cups have been flattened and I'm pretty sure the headband was made more stiff, and a bit wider.  I'm unsure as to other changes, but I have some pics I'll post when I can get on an actual computer.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2,577 of 3,855

trottweiler Okay I guess $150 is pretty good, but it seems a bit basic.

I'm spoiled by a long DIY DAC project that resulted in a $100 DAC with the best components they could find, it's the best DAC I've heard.

Since it's only Coax in - RCA out, I recently bought the Musiland Monitor 01 USD for it, which I'm really looking forward to as well.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #2,578 of 3,855

Quote:
Hm, I guess I'm confused now. Why is it a general consensus that an open-back headphone has a larger soundstage and better instrument separation than a closed-back headphone? Is it due to the enclosure of the drivers themselves?

I guess some people think open headphones make a more open soundstage and closed ones...well you get my point. And some others feel that a headphone should make a great wide soundstage with a close-mic'd multi-tracked pop recording. If it ain't there to begin with, it should not be there during playback. If it does, it's exaggerated and distorted. A recording of an orchestra in a large venue with minimal miking should sound spacious using any headphone or loudspeaker.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2,579 of 3,855
It's kind of off topic from the current discussions, and it's been posted before by Baka? (I don't quite remember), but I took some photos of the 940's internals if anyone is interested at all. I wonder if the acoustic filter is the same one that the 1840 will have. I'm not entirely sure how the filter affects the sound of a headphone, but I've read numerous posts that adding cotton can dampen the sound waves and slightly increase the bass response (please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood).

Left earpiece

Left earpiece: close-up

Opened left earpiece

Opened left earpiece: second circuit for the detachable cable; what's the metal bar on the right-hand side of the housing for?

Cotton decreases bass volume, plumbers putty might increase bass I response, didn't for me, but Baka disagreed try it for yourself and tell us the results, also try in just one cup and both.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #2,580 of 3,855

Quote:
I got a new pair of 940's in the mail from Shure (new accessories and everything, no charge) on Monday after sending my original in for RMA due to a broken headband.  Apparently they've been revised at some point: The metal portions of the ear cups have been flattened and I'm pretty sure the headband was made more stiff, and a bit wider.  I'm unsure as to other changes, but I have some pics I'll post when I can get on an actual computer.

Really? If you don't mind, can you post a few photos of the new ear cups? I actually like the slight curvature of the metal faceplates. The headband stiffness might be beneficial to me. I find it a bit too loose when I lean my head forward (the headphones start to slide down my head). I might send mine pair in since the swivel mechanism makes a squeaking noise when they rotate (it's not a big deal, but it's slightly annoying).

Quote:
Cotton decreases bass volume, plumbers putty might increase bass I response, didn't for me, but Baka disagreed try it for yourself and tell us the results, also try in just one cup and both.

Ah, okay. I might try the putty mod if I get some putty...on another note, how on earth did my photos get enlarged in your quotation?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back