Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2,536 of 3,855
Quote:
Any chance for u guys to compare these with Brainwavz B2? Do they sound any similar?

I've heard the UE700 and CK10 and yes their signature is slightly in common with the SRH-940, at least in the bass and treble, the 940 is more accentuated and layered in the mids, IIRC.

Quote:
Hi,

I am considering the 940 (and the 840) for a new pair of headphones. My sources are 320kbps MP3, FLAC, and 24/96 downloads. My music tastes are alternative and hard rock, metal, and grunge primarily (Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth, Pearl Jam, 311, etc). I need a closed headphone for the home and office and on-the-go. In my demos of headphones I found the Denon 1001/5000 and B&W P5 to be too mids and bass-centric, but I did enjoy my audition of the Grado SR225.

I see lots of discussion about the elevated treble with some peolpe describing it as overbearing. The headphone graphs over at Headroom seem to suggest the 940 actually has less treble tilt than the SR225s except above ~15k, so I'm wondering if I liked the SR225 if the 940 would be a good fit. Overall, I want a headphone with better balance than the headphones I've auditioned- more detail and "quality over quantity" bass for sure. For my (primarily rock) uses, do you think the 940 would be a good choice, or is the 840 more recommended? Am I looking in the completely wrong direction and should look at another brand of headphones?

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback!
-Tyler

If you thought the SR225's were fine, I think you will like the SRH-940.

Personally, I really enjoyed both the 940 and the SR325, and the 940 doesn't have any of the screaming cat sibilance in the SR325's.

Indeed, the P5 is very mid-centric, I liked it, but I prefer the 940's, they are slightly mid-centric too, but have really high-quality bass and treble at the same time, female vocals, instrument tone and layering all sounds pretty top notch for a ~$250 headphone, competing with the more elite models out there.

The 840 doesn't have the same sound quality imho, however Shure's IEM's like the SE425 are pretty good.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #2,537 of 3,855

Quote:
I caught a cold recently, so I do not listen much now to music. However I'm waiting for bcasey impressions.
My last statement regarding the srh940 : balanced and enough bass to enjoy a wide range of music. And this after noticing that the sound I get from these headphone is sensitive to the placement on the ears, which sucks a bit somehow.

I shall receive them in a few days.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #2,539 of 3,855
Shure probably released their first headphones for cheap to attract the headphone enthusiasts. Now that they have a good reputation it's time to go all out on price.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2,540 of 3,855
We still have no idea what the SRH-1840/1440 will go for here in the US.

All this speculation of gigantic prices (relative to Shure anyways) is not going to help.

Let's just see.

Although it is my understanding that their pricing is available in Asia... I just feel like it can't be the same here

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #2,541 of 3,855
Shure products tend to get a little to much praise sometimes. The shure se215 got huge praise and became a flavor of the month here. I bought a pair and i have to say i'm disappointed in shure. They sound muddy and the vocals sound off. For $99 i expected more.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2,544 of 3,855

Quote:
But they look so cool...
Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Off topic, but is anyone else annoyed with those sent using Tapatalk signatures?  If one is using his or her cell phone can that signature be turned off?  Not a big deal, but I feel it's a bit unnecessary.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #2,545 of 3,855
Quote:
But they look so cool...
Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Off topic, but is anyone else annoyed with those sent using Tapatalk signatures?  If one is using his or her cell phone can that signature be turned off?  Not a big deal, but I feel it's a bit unnecessary.

I thought that was nice, my bad.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #2,546 of 3,855

Quote:

Agreed.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2,547 of 3,855
Kiteki, thanks for your feedback. After auditioning some headphones I wanted to see if anyone else had some insight on this, so I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I think the 940's may turn out to be the headphone I am looking for. Thanks again!

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,548 of 3,855

Quote:
I thought that was nice, my bad.

No worries, just one of my pet peeves.
wink.gif
  Carry on.

Dec 8, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #2,549 of 3,855
Sorry to sound like a broken record here but how neutral are these cans? I am on a quest for fidelity and a neutral frequency response is very important to me. Furthermore, I am concerned that the treble has been boosted as to fake detail. Any thoughts on these matters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back