Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #2,521 of 3,855

Quote:

I was joking, sorry.

SRH-940 is still a very good headphone, someone that runs 100M in 11 seconds doesn't become bad only because someone else runs it in 10.5.

Well, you could lop off the back, put on a screen and voila! If it sounds the same....

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #2,522 of 3,855
i have both the stock T50rp and 940 now A/Bing off the lehmann,..on low gain.
the T50 sounds like it has muffle on, the 940 is fine...finecomb-like even at lowgain.
With the amp on MID-gain, the T50 starts to wake up a notch but still "muffled" compared to the 940.
i suspect if u dun have an amp tat can give u some adjustment on the gain, then matching would be an issue.
this would apply to all cans of cos.

i ran thru a few orchestras again, raycharles, would say the 940 is very revealing/bright/clear.....a brightlights kind of sound.
tending towards a T5p..but with a wider soundstage.
if u dun like bright sounding presentation, then go the beyerdynamics, they are cooler in comparison.

as to which is more "accurate" "neutral"...."natural".. i shan't get into that...
i dun think there are any two concert halls that sound alike..true?

just buy the can and try it out...then sell it if u cant take it / dun like it...or like it but still wanna sell it.. ( like me..?? lol )

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,524 of 3,855
LOL.....yes yes sweet keteki, if u wanna throw in an open can.
i like to compare closed to closed, keeps my peabrain from overheating.
tongue_smile.gif

on a hunch i took out the dusty Littledot mk3, and i am a liking what i am hearing,
like olive oil over a sizzle...organic and lively sound on the 940...
tube does wonders to a bright sound.
ok everyone, attention attention ...go and buy that cheap LDMK3.
lolz

=======

i am cycling thru some acoustic music now...armik / liebert / oscar lopez...scintillating and the bass arent weak at all..
those latin drums..palpable..some air pressure on my ears...thumthumthum...lovely.
switching over to fourplay...the thummm is there, i dun think nonbasshead will be disappointed if u are with me now.
joyce cooling...rocking this can.

==================

cycling thru seiji ozawa 's new year bash, yanni at the acropolis, ashkenazy's rachmaninoff....livelike..very enjoyable, doesnt sound brightish...on the littledot, this 940 is brilliant.  Coming to tears listening to trainchia...she has such a lovely vocal. i am in love with this woman...even on an mp3 she is adorable.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,525 of 3,855

Quote:

SRH-940 sounds like HD800, not T5p.

Not even close...sorry no way to my ears.

Maybe if someone did something silly like powering them from an iPod (or some low-fi amp/dac)
tongue.gif
, they might have some familiar traits. But run them on a fantastic rig and the gap grows into the Grand Canyon.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #2,528 of 3,855
i have no doubt the hd800 can go exceedingly beyondddd...once i shore up my cash, and take title to my OWN soundchamber,
i will revisit this beast of a beauty!! I PROMISE !!  
( i had a little taste of its beauty when it was hooked to a hybrid amp the EF5, there is slam there is no sibilance...beautiful within a low budget.)

my softspot in beyer goes to the dt770/600...it has given me countless pleasure on a cold austrian night, the orchestra playing under the stars.
i like to crank up the volume on this can, the cool sig dun torment my eardrums tat much.

==========

as of now...i would say the 940 on a littledot is a steal of sound...airy lively clear warm organic..a scaled down version of....*****.( i dun wanna mention the name of the beast, sacrileagg...how do u spell that word...hmmm where is my dict. )
deadhorse.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,529 of 3,855

Quote:
i have no doubt the hd800 can go exceedingly beyondddd...once i shore up my cash, and take title to my OWN soundchamber,
i will revisit this beast of a beauty!! I PROMISE !!  
( i had a little taste of its beauty when it was hooked to a hybrid amp the EF5, there is slam there is no sibilance...beautiful within a low budget.)

my softspot in beyer goes to the dt770/600...it has given me countless pleasure on a cold austrian night, the orchestra playing under the stars.
i like to crank up the volume on this can, the cool sig dun torment my eardrums tat much.

I was a big fan of the DT770/600 when I owned it. Fantastic sound quality, comfort (about one of the very best) and great sound isolation....all for under $200. A lost gem of a closed headphone IMO.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,530 of 3,855
guys, if u like old fashion burt bacharach..in an orchestra, and a lovely voice belting out with emotion ...(apart from dion warwick )
then go get the trainchia cd above.  i highly recommend it.

beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2,531 of 3,855
Uhhh just went on FL Studio to make a make a deep bass sound to test the 940, turned it up loud which didn't fatigue because there was no treble in the sound, these things got to shaking my head like my XB's do amp'd, and it still sounded good and detailed. Now im not so sure that these don't respond well to bass boost EQ's.
Going to try EQing them now.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #2,532 of 3,855
So would you guys say the Shure 940 is neutral/accurate (by this I mean representative of fidelity with no emphasis placed on any area of the frequency spectrum by the producer of the headphone itself, likewise, that there is nothing detracting from the sonic fidelity regarding sound stage, instrument placement, etc)?

Reading about the more present treble makes me wonder if they are trying to fake detail. Though, on this I am just inquiring and not suggesting by any means considering I have never heard the headphones themselves. I will be heading over to Bay Bloor Radio soon to test out some cans and these are pretty high on my list. 

Edit: Think these can be sufficiently driven (without detracting from fidelity in any way) with the Clip+? That is currently my source as of now. I have a PA2V2 but as of recent I've discovered that I am double amping (the Clip+ does not have a line out) and as such may be detracting from fidelity.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #2,534 of 3,855
Hi,

I am considering the 940 (and the 840) for a new pair of headphones. My sources are 320kbps MP3, FLAC, and 24/96 downloads. My music tastes are alternative and hard rock, metal, and grunge primarily (Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth, Pearl Jam, 311, etc). I need a closed headphone for the home and office and on-the-go. In my demos of headphones I found the Denon 1001/5000 and B&W P5 to be too mids and bass-centric, but I did enjoy my audition of the Grado SR225.

I see lots of discussion about the elevated treble with some peolpe describing it as overbearing. The headphone graphs over at Headroom seem to suggest the 940 actually has less treble tilt than the SR225s except above ~15k, so I'm wondering if I liked the SR225 if the 940 would be a good fit. Overall, I want a headphone with better balance than the headphones I've auditioned- more detail and "quality over quantity" bass for sure. For my (primarily rock) uses, do you think the 940 would be a good choice, or is the 840 more recommended? Am I looking in the completely wrong direction and should look at another brand of headphones?

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback!
-Tyler

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2,535 of 3,855
I caught a cold recently, so I do not listen much now to music. However I'm waiting for bcasey impressions.

My last statement regarding the srh940 : balanced and enough bass to enjoy a wide range of music. And this after noticing that the sound I get from these headphone is sensitive to the placement on the ears, which sucks a bit somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back