Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #1,112 of 22,954
It's all about the sound. 

I've owned the UM3X as my one and only iem for three to four years now.  I think it's safe to say I know what it sounds like.  But since it was used exclusively as a commute iem, I didn't care that it sounded awful on the big rig.  

That said if you run the UM3X out of something with a very high output impedance the bass levels out.  Doesn't fix the scoop out though.  In other news, the ER-4 has it's own set of problems.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,113 of 22,954
Wow. 6 hours of "burn in" and the bass is as deep and impactful as my old SE846.

Truck, is it my ears or does the "new" 846 have slightly better imaging and a touch more shimmer at the top? First serious listening of my new 846s and to me they sound slightly better than the old and I loved the old. Of course it could be "new" toy syndrome.

I was looking for your response to my question about where you drive 120 mph and I ran across this question you asked me.....

Spook, when I got my new 846, I considered calling Shure to see if this was a re-tuned version. I then remembered that I didn't write the guy's name down who finally gave me a good sounding answer on the whole 535 red "limited" and "special" edition confusion.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,114 of 22,954
New toy syndrome is a powerful drug.  Just ask the people in the JHAudio Roxanne thread....

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,115 of 22,954
I was looking for your response to my question about where you drive 120 mph and I ran across this question you asked me.....

Spook, when I got my new 846, I considered calling Shure to see if this was a re-tuned version. I then remembered that I didn't write the guy's name down who finally gave me a good sounding answer on the whole 535 red "limited" and "special" edition confusion.

Truck in case you did not spot it. Alligator Alley is a four lane divided highway about 70 miles long between Ft. Lauderdale and Naples Florida. Perfect for hi speed driving. It is almost perfectly flat with little curves it cuts right through the Everglades. I will be honest, I got the Porsche to 125mph (200kph) but did not have the courage or I had too much good sense to hold that speed for long. It was fun while it lasted.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,117 of 22,954
Truck in case you did not spot it. Alligator Alley is a four lane divided highway about 70 miles long between Ft. Lauderdale and Naples Florida. Perfect for hi speed driving. It is almost perfectly flat with little curves it cuts right through the Everglades. I will be honest, I got the Porsche to 125mph (200kph) but did not have the courage or I had too much good sense to hold that speed for long. It was fun while it lasted.

Man, you were going so fast, you could've blown enough skin off of an alligator on the side  of the road to make boots and belts. I got up to 117 in a Datsun 280ZX Turbo (decades ago). But then the wind made it seem like it was floating a little,  so I backed out.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #1,118 of 22,954
I'm not sure what this has to do with headphones, but I got my Volvo 740 turbo and BMW M3 up to ~130mph and my CLK 500 maxed out at 155mph. Not sure I'm interested in doing that any more. I've gotten older and wiser. ha These days I get my thrills from 846's and rubies.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #1,120 of 22,954
HERE I COME 846! Just picked up a brand new pair for $850! 

Damn, where the heck did you pick up a brand new pair of these for $850? I've been searching all over for a month now looking for a deal and it's pretty consistently $1000 from what I've seen.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,121 of 22,954
HERE I COME 846! Just picked up a brand new pair for $850! 

Damn, where the heck did you pick up a brand new pair of these for $850? I've been searching all over for a month now looking for a deal and it's pretty consistently $1000 from what I've seen.

Directly contacting vendors usually works wonders :wink:

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #1,122 of 22,954
Hmmm....never tried that before, got any ideas of who to contact for me? I would otherwise just purchase them on Amazon...

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,124 of 22,954
The JHA Roxanne is something special I felt. Had already purchased my 846 when I tried it so I wasn't in the market + universal version is a bit of a difficult fit for me. But, the adjustable bass is very neat, you can get to the right amount for ones taste (or compensation for the DAP) and it didn't feel like a filter, more just like a loudness adjustment over the whole bass/low bass range.

For the mid/highs, from short listen, it seemed obvious the Roxanne was clearly extending higher in frequencies but keeping it all together with the rest, as typical of the house sound.

So, for me, I don't care much about the carbon thing, case, large size and price so am a happy camper with the 846. But, certainly, I wouldn't disregard the Roxanne from the short listen I had. I can't say the same of the 1+2, and other FitEars I tried, I must have the wrong ear canal shape for these!

Arnaud.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,125 of 22,954
  The JHA Roxanne is something special I felt. Had already purchased my 846 when I tried it so I wasn't in the market + universal version is a bit of a difficult fit for me. But, the adjustable bass is very neat, you can get to the right amount for ones taste (or compensation for the DAP) and it didn't feel like a filter, more just like a loudness adjustment over the whole bass/low bass range.

For the mid/highs, from short listen, it seemed obvious the Roxanne was clearly extending higher in frequencies but keeping it all together with the rest, as typical of the house sound.

So, for me, I don't care much about the carbon thing, case, large size and price so am a happy camper with the 846. But, certainly, I wouldn't disregard the Roxanne from the short listen I had. I can't say the same of the 1+2, and other FitEars I tried, I must have the wrong ear canal shape for these!

Arnaud.

I repped you for the great info and write up Arnaud. You are one of the few who has heard the big three for me. (846,1p2,Siren)

What would you rate each the "846" vs the "1p2" vs "Roxanne" on a percentage of:

1: Enjoyment scale?
2: Bass?
3: Soundstage?
4: Anything else you could mention regarding the 846 compared to any of your favorite headphones?

We would all LOVE to hear your comments and feedback Arnaud. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back