Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,081 of 22,954

It's a pretty forgiving iem but unlike say the Westone line, isn't distant or muddy. 

Well, that's kinda unfair. All the Shures basically sound the same where all the Westone's sound different.  There is no such thing as a Westone "house sound."  For example the W3 is distant where the UMPro30 is very upfront and intimate.  The UM2 could be considered muddy but the W2 is as clear as an ER4P with more bass.  And from a technical standpoint I'd say the Pro30 walks all over the SE535.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,082 of 22,954
this is kind of off topic, but does anyone know where i can get the shure hard case? my set only came with the square semi-hard pouch and i would like more protection for these when they go in my bag.

any other hard case suggestions welcome as well!

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,083 of 22,954
  this is kind of off topic, but does anyone know where i can get the shure hard case? my set only came with the square semi-hard pouch and i would like more protection for these when they go in my bag.

any other hard case suggestions welcome as well!

I know where Shure got the case. The website is printed on the case itself, It's--www.s3cases.com.  I don't know if they will sell you a Shure branded case, however. Another (far less elegant) option is a similar sized hard plastic case made by Steriite and can be found at Dollar Tree (in the U.S.) for $1. It's utilitarian. It will protect the earphone soft case in a travel bag.  The Shure case looks and feels a lot nicer.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,084 of 22,954
  For example the W3 is distant where the UMPro30 is very upfront and intimate.

If you don't find the UM30/UM3X a distant, veiled, bloated mess then the 846 is going to sound super aggressive and thin.  Just saying :p

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,085 of 22,954
After almost six months, my SE846 finally joined the illustrious company of almost all of the early adopters and died on Sunday night. In all honesty, I was quite sanguine about it as I have been expecting it, I felt I was living on borrowed time.

On Monday, I called Shure service and after a brief conversation, I was off to the post office to overnight the IEMs back. As an aside, Shure service said to send back just the non functioning IEM. To avoid having the right IEM die later, I ignored that piece of advice and sent both back.

I called Shure again on Wednesday to confirm they had received my 846s and to tell them I would be happy to pay for overnight return shipping. As a further aside, I had foolishly given my SE535-J to my wife and all my other IEMs are in my home in Arizona not in my apartment in DC so I was left with the Apple EarPods which are God awful.

My new SE846s shipped yesterday from Niles and for those who may not know the entire Eastern United States received a combination snow and ice storm yesterday. As of midnight UPS was not delivering to DC (nor anywhere else pretty much from Georgia to Maine) so my hopes were dimming but my IEMs were not to be deterred, they were the little train that could. At 11am today my new SE846s arrived to great fanfare and joyous celebration (okay that might be a bit of an exaggeration).

I post this not in anyway to deter anyone from purchasing what I consider the greatest UIEM and one of the best IEM in existence but to point out if anything does go wrong with your 846 in the years to come you should know that Shure will be there with its service and repairs. A special thank you to Michelle, Tom and all of the wonderful people at Shure service. It is because of the impeccable service from the them that what could have been a nightmare was actually painless.

Now let the burn in begin again. As a final aside, Truck my friend I now feel your pain when yours died.

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,086 of 22,954
Sorry to hear that Spook. I thought you had made it pass the "hump" (so to speak). The good news is you got a new one inside of a work week's time frame (5 days). That is some comforting customer service. Did you get a new case and everything?

How does the new one sound to you?

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,087 of 22,954
Sorry to hear that Spook. I thought you had made it pass the "hump" (so to speak). The good news is you got a new one inside of a work week's time frame (5 days). That is some comforting customer service. Did you get a new case and everything?

How does the new one sound to you?

I received the new 846s in the zippered pouch not the whole black box but now I have two Shure pouches.

As for the sound, I feel the way you did that the bass is a little light. However, I am using the white filters and they do sound like I remember my first 846s did out of the box back in August.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,089 of 22,954
I received the new 846s in the zippered pouch not the whole black box but now I have two Shure pouches.

As for the sound, I feel the way you did that the bass is a little light. However, I am using the white filters and they do sound like I remember my first 846s did out of the box back in August.

Didn't you get yours from Earphone Solutions back in August/September time frame?  We might be from the same batch.  Wonder if mine are just waiting to go!

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,090 of 22,954
Frank,

Unfortunately, yes I did receive mine from Earphone Solutions back in August so to my knowledge you are the last first batch owner left on Head-Fi. But again, I would not worry as Shure has your back.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #1,091 of 22,954
Frank,

Unfortunately, yes I did receive mine from Earphone Solutions back in August so to my knowledge you are the last first batch owner left on Head-Fi. But again, I would not worry as Shure has your back.

Actually, I do feel confident that Shure will stand behind the product.  Everyone seems to have had a good experience so far with their customer service.

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #1,092 of 22,954
Shure should not be getting congratulated for releasing a faulty iem. It's shambolic that everyone on this site who bought the first run of a headphone at $1k have had their product fail.
What if all the replacements fail as we'll?

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,093 of 22,954
Shure should not be getting congratulated for releasing a faulty iem. It's shambolic that everyone on this site who bought the first run of a headphone at $1k have had their product fail.
What if all the replacements fail as we'll?

That's a false premise. Shure is not being "congratulated" for a faulty IEM but rather for stepping up quickly to replace it and not have its customers go without for long periods of time (see Roxanne thread).

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,094 of 22,954
Bought my SE535 last year and i really like them. But i'm still finding the lack of sub bass a little frustrating., How does the SE535 compare to the SE846?
The SE846 i 3 times the price of a pair of SE535 here in Norway, so an expensive upgrade.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,095 of 22,954
Didn't you get yours from Earphone Solutions back in August/September time frame?  We might be from the same batch.  Wonder if mine are just waiting to go!

That's a false premise. Shure is not being "congratulated" for a faulty IEM but rather for stepping up quickly to replace it and not have its customers go without for long periods of time (see Roxanne thread).

EXACTLY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back