Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #1,066 of 22,954
  Actually $300 cheaper. I am interested in the universal model.

Someone pull me into buying the 846 over the Roxanne Siren Universal! Give me some reasons! other than the 73 pages I've read! :)

One reason for me to choose 846 is that universal Roxanne is huge.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,067 of 22,954
  really loving my SE846 so far, running them unamped from a Sony DAP at the moment and loving every single minute of it! will be following up by ordering the silver iem cable from headphonelounge soon (as soon as my pockets allow :D)

by the way, do i lose alot by not amping these babies? would appreciate some honest feedback from other more experienced headfiers here. portability is a big big plus for me as my commute is often long and unforgiving. with these though, sometimes i dont want my commute to end :p

I don't have experience with your player, but can only comment on an iPhone 5S vs. JDS Labs C5D.  The sound coming out of the former is far less controlled in the bass region, which somewhat muddies the entire sound spectrum, but it's passable.  The iPhone is also less precise overall.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,068 of 22,954
  Either way in time you will end up buying both. 846 - sub bass. ease of inserting and removing the earpiece, built Shures last a long long time. great meds and freer highs, filter. Customs have their pluses especially if you use them at home compared to on the go.

That is not what I wanted to hear! I want to only buy one, but somehow I feel you can read the future, haha. I think I will try the 846 as it has been getting decent reviews. I am slightly concerned about the driver issues though. Is there anyway to assure that I can buy the newest models from a seller? 

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,070 of 22,954
That is not what I wanted to hear! I want to only buy one, but somehow I feel you can read the future, haha. I think I will try the 846 as it has been getting decent reviews. I am slightly concerned about the driver issues though. Is there anyway to assure that I can buy the newest models from a seller? 

I agree with Truck, Shure has great service. If you are really concerned ask the seller like Earphone Solutions what is the production date of their current inventory. But again, I would not worry as if something does go wrong you will get a replacement very quickly.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,073 of 22,954
I agree with Truck, Shure has great service. If you are really concerned ask the seller like Earphone Solutions what is the production date of their current inventory. But again, I would not worry as if something does go wrong you will get a replacement very quickly.

Thank you Sir. I will try my best to wait till Earphone Solutions puts out a coupon/promo code for the 846...hopefully soon!

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,077 of 22,954
SE535 is the most mid-centric IEM I have ever heard.  Is SE846 the same in this regard?  Or does the added bass make the mids seem not as forward. I take it the treble is the same?

Feb 14, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #1,080 of 22,954
  SE535 is the most mid-centric IEM I have ever heard.  Is SE846 the same in this regard?  Or does the added bass make the mids seem not as forward. I take it the treble is the same?

Similar mid through treble response with the bright filter in place with a smidge more extension but still nose dives after ~13KHz like most iems.  Bass is a little over emphasized which makes for a quite warm presentation with a tonal balance that makes kick drums and bass guitar stand out.  It's a pretty forgiving iem but unlike say the Westone UM30/W4, isn't distant or muddy.  Last thing, though the response is similar to the 535 the new BAs used are quite nice and any veil, compression or grain the 535 might have had... gone.  Basically sounds like it measures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back