Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,127 of 22,954
I was looking for your response to my question about where you drive 120 mph and I ran across this question you asked me.....

Spook, when I got my new 846, I considered calling Shure to see if this was a re-tuned version. I then remembered that I didn't write the guy's name down who finally gave me a good sounding answer on the whole 535 red "limited" and "special" edition confusion.

Truck,

I swear this SE846 has been retuned. With the white filters the clarity has improved, the overall tonal balance is better with greater treble presence and imaging.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,129 of 22,954
Truck,

I swear this SE846 has been retuned. With the white filters the clarity has improved, the overall tonal balance is better with greater treble presence and imaging.

You're a better judge than I.

I suspected as much myself, but I had a few things working against me. The first was I thought the old 846 had turned a corner (and was sounding better than ever) just a week before it died (brain burn or burn in?). So, it's hard for me to say with certainty that the new 846 sounded different than the old in its last days. Secondly, I use the E5c and 535 every day for 2 weeks before getting the new 846. My system was thrown off. After that, I'd really have to have the old and new side by side to tell for sure. If you throw in finding V4A (shortly thereafter) with its new level of clarity, transparency, added deep extension, and treble extension (the whole nine); and well,  I'm way off the path of knowing what's what.

One thing I can say is; It's all good!!

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #1,130 of 22,954
Just ordered myself a pair of SE846's!!! Should be here by the end of next week, will post impressions after I check them out.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #1,131 of 22,954
  My 846 out of the white box because I boght it in Asia is really bright at times. Much briter then my 535 ever reached along with the sub bass that the 535 never could produce. Interesting to read in the earlier pages that some said the 846 were not much brighter then their 535.

Often times, "bright", "warm", etc, are relative terms that are based on what you may be use to hearing in another earphone. I certainly wouldn't describe the 846 as bright compared to the 535, however. I think something may be wrong, if that is the case. I'd check my seal or try different tips.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,132 of 22,954

on tracks with a lot of highs I do get that and the bass is not as forwards. Example Van Halen 2 in flas. When I put on a Break track where bass is the focus point then it becomes  a bass monster and the bass is very present. I use shure foams that it came with. Also I am using the FIIO X3 which really pushes the bass hard.

Okay, I didn't like the 846 with the X3 (when I had it). I thought it was too strident (among other things...).

Regardless of source, it still shouldn't be brighter than the 535 with that same source. I don't think either earphone is bright per se, but the 846 is not as edgy as the 535. Perhaps the foam is not sealing on all sides. That happens to me, which is why I don't use them. Well, I do use the foam when I pull the center out and put the foam part on the stem of the triple-flanges.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,134 of 22,954
Won't the low impendence of 9 ohms cause alot of hiss if you don't use a very good amp?

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,136 of 22,954
How loud is the background hiss with the SE846 and M8?  Or do you have the IEM modded M8?  Glad to hear they sound good together, thanks for the info. 

M8 is dead quiet from volume zero to max. This is using the lowest impedence settings. U also need to like bass alot as the m8 output some really powerful bass even when bass is set at zero.. In direct comparison to the latest itouch.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,137 of 22,954
@Audiowood : I haven't used the white filter lately just the blue one since getting the new 846. Perhaps he was referring to a treble peak rather than an across the spectrum brightness.

My 846 sounds dead silent out of my old Galaxy S2 phone (which supposedly has ridiculously high output impedance). I'm hearing the very last note as songs taper off (like I've never heard before). That's with the S2 volume maxed out and controlling the volume with the Shure attenuator.

I sometimes vacillate between the Shure flagships. But, I know the 846 is the best in the truck. Plus, I don't think I've found the best matching source for the 846. Perhaps it will be the new Calyx M that's said to have an output impedance of “around zero”. Then again, that sounds like a recipe for a disastrous plug in. I might pass on that one. I had years to find good matches for the E5c and 535. I'm just getting started with the 846.

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,138 of 22,954

Man, you were going so fast, you could've blown enough skin off of an alligator on the side  of the road to make boots and belts. I got up to 117 in a Datsun 280ZX Turbo (decades ago). But then the wind made it seem like it was floating a little,  so I backed out.

The I-15 drive from LA to Vegas is a great stretch to get the lead out - that fastest I have gone was with my little 2000 Turbo Bug - almost got to 130 - but surprisingly it felt really stable at 125 - maybe the German engineering...

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,139 of 22,954
The I-15 drive from LA to Vegas is a great stretch to get the lead out - that fastest I have gone was with my little 2000 Turbo Bug - almost got to 130 - but surprisingly it felt really stable at 125 - maybe the German engineering...

Since Volkswagen owns Porcshe that is entirely possible. My car before the Porsche was the 2007 Jaguar SK Coupe and it shared about 80% of the components and engineering of the Aston Martin as that was the last year when Ford owned both brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back