Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #6,992 of 22,945
I've been listening to my 8s mostly from my Chord Hugo, but I'm not quite satisified with this setup. The Chord has a low, but distinct hissing sound with my 8s. From my AK120 the background is completely black. No hissing at all. Problem is that the Hugo is MUCH better in every other way, except for the hissing sound and it's driving me insane! Hehe.. I know it sounds like the biggest first world problem of them all. It's such a pity that the 8s are s damn senseitive. My IE800 didn't hiss and I'm starting to regret that I sold them.

I'm just writing this in case any of you are planning to buy the Hugo for your 8s. If you listen to really quiet music, like piano and cello, I don't think it's a good combination.

I have not experienced hiss when I listened to the Hugo (albeit I do not own one), and a Head-Fi member that I know owns a Hugo for his SE846 has not mentioned hiss at all.  May I suggest hooking it up via other output(s) to find out if it is an issue with the specific cable or output on the Hugo?  I used the Lightning to CCK to a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable (Noble Audio's Hugo and cables) to drive my iPhone 5 with glorious results.  If you are still experiencing hiss after trying out different cables (MMCX as well) and outputs, Chord support should be able to help you out.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #6,993 of 22,945
I don't feel good about it, but it is what it is... Not going to lose sleep over it. I want something, the price is the price, not much can be done about it.

I hope you will be able to hear a difference with the AK120II and AK240, because I personally heard a distinct difference.
normal_smile .gif
  It all comes down to what type of sound signature you are going for, as both sound great, but will not say that one is better over the other regarding strictly sound quality.  With this said, if you do not hear a difference between the two, you will have saved yourself some money by going with the "more affordable" AK. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #6,994 of 22,945
Thanks for replying moedawg. The ting is, the Hugo is hissing without anything connected through it regardless of volume. I can turn the volum up and down and the hissing stay the same. I will visit my dealer and demo one of their units to see if it is only my Hugo that's hissing.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #6,995 of 22,945
Thanks for replying moedawg. The ting is, the Hugo is hissing without anything connected through it regardless of volume. I can turn the volum up and down and the hissing stay the same. I will visit my dealer and demo one of their units to see if it is only my Hugo that's hissing.

Sorry to hear that, Eide.  Hopefully there will be a satisfactory resolution for you soon. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #6,996 of 22,945
Thanks Moe. I'm keeping the 240,regardless. If I don't, it'd be the second AK device I returned to this person, and I just feel guilty doing that to him as he has been very nice to me and offered me a significant discount.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #6,997 of 22,945
Shoot, for those prices, I would not feel bad at all about returning DAPs/amps, etc., especially if the returns are within their specific returns/exchanges policy.  On the other hand, significant discounts are delightful.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #6,999 of 22,945
Nov 1, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #7,000 of 22,945
8s are very sensitive and I've been able to drive them with every source I've had... One of my favorite things about them.

I also finally decided, sorry Monty, but I'm ordering an ak240. It's just going to drive me nuts knowing there is a "better" AK than mine... I seriously doubt I will hear any difference... But I will have both units at the same time for at least a few days.

Say it ain't so. ...the 240 is bulky and it's Ugly!... Ok I can't sway you. Still are you going to Redwine the 240 I can still piggyback on the benefits of that (You have a strong back and I am lean.)

That leaves you with a lot of AKs....

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #7,002 of 22,945
If you like a slightly warm, resolving sound (compared to the AK120II), I am sure that you will adore the AK240.  

Love warm... So if it's warmer, I'll be very happy.

Say it ain't so. ...the 240 is bulky and it's Ugly!... Ok I can't sway you. Still are you going to Redwine the 240 I can still piggyback on the benefits of that (You have a strong back and I am lean.)

That leaves you with a lot of AKs....

LMAO... Sorry Monty, I truly am... Yes, I am sending to Vinnie for sure. The ak240 will be my only AK, unless I find it too bulky for the gym... Then I may get ak100ii for the gym.

The important question is, will he be dual wielding them? 

Lol. Funny.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #7,003 of 22,945
No, almost everyone on this forum has been suckered. They've convinced all of us to pay a premium for headphones and feel good about it. Haha

Not true. If we were Suckered the 8s would be nothing more than The Emperor's New Clothes. One thing that is not in dispute even by those who prefer the SQ or Sig of other IEMs is that where the 8s are concerned SHURE Delivered.

AK too We can choose to quibble over the price or premium. BUT Capitalism at it's core is buyer and seller agreeing on value and price.

No one forces us to buy we can walk away  (can't say that of taxes and  in that regard I know I am not getting value for money.)

Nor is Price an objective standard like Horsepower or Torque. A myriad of subjective factors abound.
Aesthetics and the value one places upon them and the pure aesthetic of personal taste.

Function - What I want from a thing and how I want that delivered.

And the intangible. Paying for a car option (especially back in the 70s and 80s) so you didn't have to see that cap where the switch went. (Pure marketing)

In Caddy Shack terms that "cap" is a company saying to your "I got a pool and a pond. You are more of a pond kind of a guy... manipulative but not dishonest as to some it is worth the price not to see that metaphorical cap.

I am one of those people. IF I did not find the 240 Aesthetically displeasing and the 120ii very aesthetically pleasing I would pay up for the 240 AND get it modded by Redwine.

Top of the line Benz Tuned by AMG  For the record I am not a Benz fan but everybody knows who AMG is and what they do to MB.

I applaud AK and Shure for commanding a premium a getting it. If they couldn't get that premium it just an asking price.

The beauty of Capitalism is that no price is set in stone everything is negotiable. Its just a question of time and price supply and demand.... And with that mechanism we highly evolved primate have gone from a glade at the edge of a forest to Rome and then back to the Dark Ages in 50,000.

From the Dark Ages to the Age of Enlightenment  in 300 - 400 years depending on where you makr the eras.

And from there to the 8s in a mere 300+/- 50 years.

If we are suckers at least we are not languishing in the Dark Ages suckered by the Theocratic Paradigm....

I kind strayed there But I assure you there is a point in all of that somewhere -- Ah sweet caffine

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #7,004 of 22,945

Not true. If we were Suckered the 8s would be nothing more than The Emperor's New Clothes. One thing that is not in dispute even by those who prefer the SQ or Sig of other IEMs is that where the 8s are concerned SHURE Delivered.

AK too We can choose to quibble over the price or premium. BUT Capitalism at it's core is buyer and seller agreeing on value and price.

No one forces us to buy we can walk away  (can't say that of taxes and  in that regard I know I am not getting value for money.)

Nor is Price an objective standard like Horsepower or Torque. A myriad of subjective factors abound.
Aesthetics and the value one places upon them and the pure aesthetic of personal taste.

Function - What I want from a thing and how I want that delivered.

And the intangible. Paying for a car option (especially back in the 70s and 80s) so you didn't have to see that cap where the switch went. (Pure marketing)

In Caddy Shack terms that "cap" is a company saying to your "I got a pool and a pond. You are more of a pond kind of a guy... manipulative but not dishonest as to some it is worth the price not to see that metaphorical cap.

I am one of those people. IF I did not find the 240 Aesthetically displeasing and the 120ii very aesthetically pleasing I would pay up for the 240 AND get it modded by Redwine.

Top of the line Benz Tuned by AMG  For the record I am not a Benz fan but everybody knows who AMG is and what they do to MB.

I applaud AK and Shure for commanding a premium a getting it. If they couldn't get that premium it just an asking price.

The beauty of Capitalism is that no price is set in stone everything is negotiable. Its just a question of time and price supply and demand.... And with that mechanism we highly evolved primate have gone from a glade at the edge of a forest to Rome and then back to the Dark Ages in 50,000.

From the Dark Ages to the Age of Enlightenment  in 300 - 400 years depending on where you makr the eras.

And from there to the 8s in a mere 300+/- 50 years.

If we are suckers at least we are not languishing in the Dark Ages suckered by the Theocratic Paradigm....

I kind strayed there But I assure you there is a point in all of that somewhere -- Ah sweet caffine

I was using the term "sucker" lightly to make a joke. Don't take things too seriously. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #7,005 of 22,945
  I was using the term "sucker" lightly to make a joke. Don't take things too seriously. 

NO I didn't at all. It was tongue and cheek ... Lots of coffee today and had lunch with an individual mocking people who pay what they do for a Porsche (specifically the 918)...A lot of  I would never pay that. (Because everybody has a spare $1millon Cause if you did you might. in his case spare $ -  no. You got to have some to have some to spare )

The concept of supply demand no gun to their head LOST on them. Like talking to someone form the President's Economic Council

To many something is only excellent if it is free or as near to as might as well be free.

Got to walk the dogs.. Losing light

Users who are viewing this thread

Back