Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #6,961 of 22,945

Thanks. I've had a similar experience where I went from whites + stock cable to the silver litz cable and stepped back to the blue filter. I then went back to white (with silver cable) for a while, but the treble was too forward on some recordings (perfect on others) so I'm back on blue filters which sound brilliant with the silver cable, but I'm wondering if I'd prefer white + copper more than blue + silver...

Why don't you purchase some copper cables and tell us. :)

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #6,962 of 22,945
Thanks. I've had a similar experience where I went from whites + stock cable to the silver litz cable and stepped back to the blue filter. I then went back to white (with silver cable) for a while, but the treble was too forward on some recordings (perfect on others) so I'm back on blue filters which sound brilliant with the silver cable, but I'm wondering if I'd prefer white + copper more than blue + silver...

I think it really depends on the quality of the cables and what sound preferences you personally have. The make of the cables determines the quality of the different frequencies you hear, but changing the filters in effect only changes the emphasis on the different ranges of frequencies.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #6,963 of 22,945
  Why don't you purchase some copper cables and tell us. :)

I would gladly, but I'm trying to save $$$ for some HD800s - I may yet be able to do both... we'll see

I think it really depends on the quality of the cables and what sound preferences you personally have. The make of the cables determines the quality of the different frequencies you hear, but changing the filters in effect only changes the emphasis on the different ranges of frequencies.

Agree. I'm trying to compare apples to apples with say a copper litz versus a silver litz. I have a great copper litz DHC cable, but it's a 2-pin termination, not MMCX so I can't A/B the 2. What I'm really trying to understand is if a high quality copper cable can smooth out / pull back the treble just a touch so I can enjoy the opennes of the white filter sound without the fatigue I sometimes experience

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #6,964 of 22,945
I would gladly, but I'm trying to save $$$ for some HD800s - I may yet be able to do both... we'll see

Agree. I'm trying to compare apples to apples with say a copper litz versus a silver litz. I have a great copper litz DHC cable, but it's a 2-pin termination, not MMCX so I can't A/B the 2. What I'm really trying to understand is if a high quality copper cable can smooth out / pull back the treble just a touch so I can enjoy the opennes of the white filter sound without the fatigue I sometimes experience

To simplify the situation, trying to compare apple to apple,ignoring most factors, YES it does.
But i think you may lose a bit of details changing from silver to copper details.
Like I mentioned earlier, have you tried changing from blue to black filters with your silver cable first? This may help :)

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #6,965 of 22,945
To simplify the situation, trying to compare apple to apple,ignoring most factors, YES it does.
But i think you may lose a bit of details changing from silver to copper details.
Like I mentioned earlier, have you tried changing from blue to black filters with your silver cable first? This may help
smily_headphones1.gif

MoeDawg modded his filters to get the sound he wanted. I'm not suggesting Loquah should do that, but it's an option. I haven't a clue on what you should do if you decided to mod it, but Moe might know. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #6,966 of 22,945
Like I mentioned earlier, have you tried changing from blue to black filters with your silver cable first? This may help
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, I forgot to say - yes, I tried the blacks yesterday, but reverted to the blues as the sweet spot with my setup (although I really like the blacks with the stock cable)

MoeDawg modded his filters to get the sound he wanted. I'm not suggesting Loquah should do that, but it's an option. I haven't a clue on what you should do if you decided to mod it, but Moe might know. 

Having been through each of the mods (white+foam plus blue and black without foam) I came back to the stock configurations each time, but maybe I should try the modded black again now that I have the silver cable.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #6,967 of 22,945

Sorry, I forgot to say - yes, I tried the blacks yesterday, but reverted to the blues as the sweet spot with my setup (although I really like the blacks with the stock cable)

Having been through each of the mods (white+foam plus blue and black without foam) I came back to the stock configurations each time, but maybe I should try the modded black again now that I have the silver cable.

Quick question, since you have the silver litz cable, how does it affect that amount of bass with stock filters? Although I love its performance in that regard, I would prefer just a touch less punch. Thanks.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #6,968 of 22,945
  Quick question, since you have the silver litz cable, how does it affect that amount of bass with stock filters? Although I love its performance in that regard, I would prefer just a touch less punch. Thanks.

I think you've found your perfect match as I feel the punch is slightly reduced by the silver, but extension remains excellent

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #6,969 of 22,945
I've recently bought a good quality silver cable for my 8's. The mids and highs become much more detailed, the soundstage widens up, and the music sounds more layered. But the little downside is the lows seem to become less prominent (although still goes as deep), some may find the sound loses a bit of warmth. So I decided to change the blue filters to black filters....to me, that solves the problem. As a result, the music is now more complete, I can listen to all kinds of genre in great details without losing the bass. Maybe you can try that too?!

Exactly my experience. I like good details, and strong quality (not quantity) of bass. With silver cables I find the 846s amazing. I prefer blue filter to black though.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #6,971 of 22,945

Have you used copper before? Copper is typically described as warmer; silver is more detailed and faster. That speed may be why you thought the white treble was forward. I personally have silver in all my setups- I prefer more detail not less :)

The good thing about the Shures is that you can roll the filters (unlike other IEMs), so I'd just go with the type of cable you like and roll filters from there.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #6,972 of 22,945
  I own the SE846s and also have LCD 2s. To me, the only real comparison I can offer is that the bass quality on the SE846 is comparable (tight, punchy, clean and deep) with the LCD 2s. Personally, I don't find the TH-900s to be even close to the SE846s in overall performance as I find their bass a bit loose and their top end slightly metallic sounding.

The LCD 2s would make a great alternative to the HD800s (which I'm about to buy myself) because they have a rich, organic sound that's more intimate than the HD800s so you can have 2 very distinct, but very enjoyable sounds to choose from.

You do realise that if you have SE846, LCD 2 and HD800 that then you'll need an IEM like the HD800 so that you've got the full quartet?? Might I suggest the Noble 4?
tongue_smile.gif

So it isn't a waste to own both the Shure SE846 and LCD-2 at the same time? 

I think I'm personally done with buying headphones and IEM at the moment, since the HD800 and Shure SE846 seems to cover everything so far. But who knows, maybe I'll end up buying the LCD-2 and the Nobel 4 
dt880smile.png

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #6,973 of 22,945

So it isn't a waste to own both the Shure SE846 and LCD-2 at the same time? 

I think I'm personally done with buying headphones and IEM at the moment, since the HD800 and Shure SE846 seems to cover everything so far. But who knows, maybe I'll end up buying the LCD-2 and the Nobel 4 
dt880smile.png

You always think you're done, but then something new releases and they pull you back in. 
gs1000.gif

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #6,974 of 22,945
Just compared my 846 to the Roxanne, the Fitear Parterre and TG334.

To my ears, the Roxanne was the most veiled and darkest of the lot. I was frankly shocked at the sound, given that I own and love a pair of JH13s. Not my taste at all. It was just a wall of sound to me...

I then moved on to the TG334. My first thought was similar to what I've read- the tg334 and 846 are quite similar. It sounded tremendous. The vocals are every bit as good as my 846, but smoother. Oh so smooth. If you ever thought, "the vocals on the 846 sometimes feels a bit sharp", then the tg334 is your answer. However I also noticed that the vocals lacked sparkle compared to the 846. The tg334 are very emotive, but not as fun.

The bass on the 846 is deeper and more textured. The 334 has reasonable punch and depth quantity, but the 846 certainly has it beat here. Really, the 334 is good, but the "subwoofer effect" is lacking. The 334 is also warmer (my shures are silver cabled, with the white filter), so mid bass is a bit more enveloping on the Fitear. Comes across as a bit more veiled.

Finally I tried the parterre. It's like the 334 without the magically smooth vocals. Didn't spend too long here.

Would be interesting to try the Fitear with a silver cable, but for double the price of the 846 and no chance to roll filters, i'll be staying put with what I got. Price and filters aside, I also prefer the sound of the shures. The Fitear is a more non-fatiguing sound, but the shures are more fun. The 846 bass is truly something special. I remember my quest to find an iem like that previously, and the 846 is the only one that has ever fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back