Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #6,946 of 22,945
I own the SE846s and also have LCD 2s. To me, the only real comparison I can offer is that the bass quality on the SE846 is comparable (tight, punchy, clean and deep) with the LCD 2s. Personally, I don't find the TH-900s to be even close to the SE846s in overall performance as I find their bass a bit loose and their top end slightly metallic sounding.

The LCD 2s would make a great alternative to the HD800s (which I'm about to buy myself) because they have a rich, organic sound that's more intimate than the HD800s so you can have 2 very distinct, but very enjoyable sounds to choose from.

You do realise that if you have SE846, LCD 2 and HD800 that then you'll need an IEM like the HD800 so that you've got the full quartet?? Might I suggest the Noble 4?
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #6,947 of 22,945
  I own the SE846s and also have LCD 2s. To me, the only real comparison I can offer is that the bass quality on the SE846 is comparable (tight, punchy, clean and deep) with the LCD 2s. Personally, I don't find the TH-900s to be even close to the SE846s in overall performance as I find their bass a bit loose and their top end slightly metallic sounding.

The LCD 2s would make a great alternative to the HD800s (which I'm about to buy myself) because they have a rich, organic sound that's more intimate than the HD800s so you can have 2 very distinct, but very enjoyable sounds to choose from.

You do realise that if you have SE846, LCD 2 and HD800 that then you'll need an IEM like the HD800 so that you've got the full quartet?? Might I suggest the Noble 4?
tongue_smile.gif

Nah, if you're going to do that, I'd go with the K10.  Incidentally, I've got the LCD2, SE846, and K10.  HD800 eventually will be a part of that setup, but for now I'm covered.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6,954 of 22,945
I'm currently using the 8s with blue filters and silver litz cable. I find the white filters too bright with the silver cable even though it's smoother than the stock cable.

I'm wondering if anyone is using a quality pure copper cable with their 8s and how you find the sound with it compared to the stock cable and with which filters.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #6,955 of 22,945
I'm currently using the 8s with blue filters and silver litz cable. I find the white filters too bright with the silver cable even though it's smoother than the stock cable.

I'm wondering if anyone is using a quality pure copper cable with their 8s and how you find the sound with it compared to the stock cable and with which filters.

I've recently bought a good quality silver cable for my 8's. The mids and highs become much more detailed, the soundstage widens up, and the music sounds more layered. But the little downside is the lows seem to become less prominent (although still goes as deep), some may find the sound loses a bit of warmth. So I decided to change the blue filters to black filters....to me, that solves the problem. As a result, the music is now more complete, I can listen to all kinds of genre in great details without losing the bass. Maybe you can try that too?!

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #6,958 of 22,945
  ^Which cables did you get? 

It's not a branded cable. I had it custom-made with high quality pure silver, not 'silver-plated' cables which are generally available on the market.
In fact, I also bought a Bronze/gold cable too (which is more focused on bass when I just wanna listen to RnB and jazz).
Overall though, the silver cable is a winner all round.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #6,960 of 22,945
I've recently bought a good quality silver cable for my 8's. The mids and highs become much more detailed, the soundstage widens up, and the music sounds more layered. But the little downside is the lows seem to become less prominent (although still goes as deep), some may find the sound loses a bit of warmth. So I decided to change the blue filters to black filters....to me, that solves the problem. As a result, the music is now more complete, I can listen to all kinds of genre in great details without losing the bass. Maybe you can try that too?!

Thanks. I've had a similar experience where I went from whites + stock cable to the silver litz cable and stepped back to the blue filter. I then went back to white (with silver cable) for a while, but the treble was too forward on some recordings (perfect on others) so I'm back on blue filters which sound brilliant with the silver cable, but I'm wondering if I'd prefer white + copper more than blue + silver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back