Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #7,006 of 22,945

NO I didn't at all. It was tongue and cheek ... Lots of coffee today and had lunch with an individual mocking people who pay what they do for a Porsche (specifically the 918)... I would never pay that. (Because everybody has a spare $1millon Cause if you did you might)

The concept of supply demand no gun to their head LOST on them. Like talking to someone form the President's Economic Council

To many something is only excellent if it is free or as near to as might as well be free.

Got to walk the dogs.. Losing light

No worries, I got what you meant. And dags? I like dags. :) 

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #7,007 of 22,945
  No worries, I got what you meant. And dags? I like dags. :) 

If dags don't eat poop I got a dog I am willing to swap one lightly/gently used dogs for it : )

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #7,009 of 22,945
Thanks for replying moedawg. The ting is, the Hugo is hissing without anything connected through it regardless of volume. I can turn the volum up and down and the hissing stay the same. I will visit my dealer and demo one of their units to see if it is only my Hugo that's hissing.

I had the same issue Eide with the Hugo/846 combo. I was told that I was hearing the noise floor of the Hugo since the 846 is so sensitive. Using the stock 846 volume attenuator completely eliminated the hissing but I found that this changes the SQ somewhat. In contrast, I don't get any hissing with the 846 in balanced mode with the AK120ii and AK240.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #7,010 of 22,945

I had the same issue Eide with the Hugo/846 combo. I was told that I was hearing the noise floor of the Hugo since the 846 is so sensitive. Using the stock 846 volume attenuator completely eliminated the hissing but I found that this changes the SQ somewhat. In contrast, I don't get any hissing with the 846 in balanced mode with the AK120ii and AK240.

You can also get a good quality impedence wire... I have one. Does change the SQ somewhat but quality is still good.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #7,011 of 22,945
Hi all i am quite new to this so please help me out ?:) .. i have recently bought a shure 846 and use my iPod classic 5th gen as a player..when theres no songs playing, i can hear a hissing sound, but when the songs plays, it disappears. I also use my HTC one m7 as a player, the hissing sound on this is less and disappears after awhile. The hissing can also be heard on my macbook pro 2012 15 retina, but it only happens on and off.. 

i have heard that it could be due to the impedance or something like that? would using an amp fix this ? if so, can you recommend me a portable amp bellow 100 ? cos i am on a tight budget after getting the 846... 

BTW they still sound amazing on my players, but i feel like the sound could be better as its either too loud or soft.

ps: i am using my shure 425 wires on this as my stock cables went missing :/ , can the cable cause this ? 

thank you in advance for your advice :D 

cheers!:D

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #7,012 of 22,945
  Hi all i am quite new to this so please help me out ?:) .. i have recently bought a shure 846 and use my iPod classic 5th gen as a player..when theres no songs playing, i can hear a hissing sound, but when the songs plays, it disappears. I also use my HTC one m7 as a player, the hissing sound on this is less and disappears after awhile. The hissing can also be heard on my macbook pro 2012 15 retina, but it only happens on and off.. 

i have heard that it could be due to the impedance or something like that? would using an amp fix this ? if so, can you recommend me a portable amp bellow 100 ? cos i am on a tight budget after getting the 846... 

BTW they still sound amazing on my players, but i feel like the sound could be better as its either too loud or soft.

ps: i am using my shure 425 wires on this as my stock cables went missing :/ , can the cable cause this ? 

Amps can also cause a hissing problem, even thousand dollars ones. I know that someone suggested that an amp can fix your issue, but because of the 846's sensitivity, I doubt any of the cheaper amps would rid of the hissing. I could be wrong though. As I've stated before, the 846 does not hiss on the iPhone 6. You can go to an Apple store and test the IEMs on one of their showroom iPhone 6s to make sure that it isn't an issue with the cable, though I doubt it is. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #7,013 of 22,945
Quote:

It's unlikely to be caused by the cable. As Dinerenblanc said above, many amps have this type of hiss due to the 846s being so low impedance and high sensitivity. An upgraded cable can make them even more sensitive, but the stock 425 cable should create roughly the same sensitivity as (or slightly lower than) the stock 846 cable.

The reason the hiss comes and goes could be multiple things - noise from a circuit that's not always active (e.g. a hard drive) or it could be that the sound of your music masks the lower volume hiss once the music is playing.

There's no real solution other than trying different sources or adding an amp which has a lower noise floor

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #7,014 of 22,945
  Quote:

It's unlikely to be caused by the cable. As Dinerenblanc said above, many amps have this type of hiss due to the 846s being so low impedance and high sensitivity. An upgraded cable can make them even more sensitive, but the stock 425 cable should create roughly the same sensitivity as (or slightly lower than) the stock 846 cable.

The reason the hiss comes and goes could be multiple things - noise from a circuit that's not always active (e.g. a hard drive) or it could be that the sound of your music masks the lower volume hiss once the music is playing.

There's no real solution other than trying different sources or adding an amp which has a lower noise floor

alright thank you :) i will take note, know of any good amps that has a low noise floor so i can try it out ? :p

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #7,015 of 22,945
  Amps can also cause a hissing problem, even thousand dollars ones. I know that someone suggested that an amp can fix your issue, but because of the 846's sensitivity, I doubt any of the cheaper amps would rid of the hissing. I could be wrong though. As I've stated before, the 846 does not hiss on the iPhone 6. You can go to an Apple store and test the IEMs on one of their showroom iPhone 6s to make sure that it isn't an issue with the cable, though I doubt it is. 

hmm i see, i will try that :) hahaha thank you very much for your response :D

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #7,017 of 22,945

alright thank you :) i will take note, know of any good amps that has a low noise floor so i can try it out ? :p

There are lots of quality ones out there. The Ray Samuels amps have a good reputation here with the 8s and I can vouch for the Fiio E12A based on my experiences with the E12DIY and direct comparisons between the DIY and the 12A. I'm sure others can chime in with more suggestions

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #7,018 of 22,945

There are lots of quality ones out there. The Ray Samuels amps have a good reputation here with the 8s and I can vouch for the Fiio E12A based on my experiences with the E12DIY and direct comparisons between the DIY and the 12A. I'm sure others can chime in with more suggestions

If you're going to carry an external device anyway, I'd suggest you go for a DAP instead. Plenty of quality DAPs out there now, most tuned for IEMs so have 'low noise floors'. With the iPhone, getting quality sound to an amp requires buying extra cables as well, and just ends up being pretty chunky...

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #7,019 of 22,945
  If you're going to carry an external device anyway, I'd suggest you go for a DAP instead. Plenty of quality DAPs out there now, most tuned for IEMs so have 'low noise floors'. With the iPhone, getting quality sound to an amp requires buying extra cables as well, and just ends up being pretty chunky...

In fact, I have a new one coming that I'm quite excited about and will be posting thoughts next weekend I hope (delivery willing)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back