Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,486 of 22,945
This is very subjective depending how deep you are in this hobby. If you are new and just starting out this journey, I would advise you to stay away from cables until you have the skills and experience of what you like in a sound. Most people who starts out this hobby can't tell the differences let alone determining if they improve in what area.

For $400, you can have a brand new DX90 DAP with double [COLOR=333333]ESS Sabre32 ES9018K2M DAC chip per channel and that difference would be way more than cable improvement. Cables improvement are the very last refinement to squeeze out the last bit of potential and are for very experience audiophile who already knows exactly what is needed. [/COLOR]

As an owner of Headphone Lounge silver litz cables and interconnects and a firm believer in the sonic improvement that great aftermarket cables can bring, I agree with Audiowood.

Look to your DAP, amplifier(balanced is my suggestion) and quality of your music (ALAC/FLAC) before completing your rig with aftermarket cables. Even among believers in aftermarket cables, the question of silver vs. copper vs. a hybrid comes down to, as Audiowood correctly points out, experience knowing what you expect and want out of the cables.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #4,487 of 22,945
Price Japan is currently selling the SE846 at $946.  mrhizzo, doing a quick search on fleabay shows new for $829, and used for as low as $729.99 OBO.  Make sure you can get the warranty with whichever vendor/seller you go with.  I got mine from fleabay, and loving the 'savings' as a result.

I got mine new about $807 in HongKong

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #4,490 of 22,945
  I found this interesting on youtube. What do you guys think? 128k AAC vs lossless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrfX-g8auc8&list=UUG-kL1LRqw6Akq0ktl9da1g

Lol...experts consider 256kbps AAC equivalent to 320kbps MP3, I can't see how 128kbps can stand up against a lossless format even compressed under 500kbps , the lossless file will always be superior to even 320kbps AAC .

Lossy codecs (MP3/AAC/M4A/OGG/WMA) loose information, whereas lossless codecs (FLAC/APE/ALAC) compress information and act like zip that can be uncompressed into a raw format (WAV/AIFF/UNCOMPRESSED FLAC)

Compairing a lossy codec with a lossless codec is like compairing an ipod with a Hi-res dap

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #4,492 of 22,945
tl;dr - Trying to figure out What is going on with codecs is friggin' impossible for us mortals. Listen around, see what tickles your ear best, don't stress over it past that.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4,493 of 22,945
Jul 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #4,494 of 22,945
Jul 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #4,495 of 22,945
I just called Sensaphonics. My molds got to them today and they apparently bumped me up in the queue thanks to the mailing snafu from before (yeesh, it's been almost a month :frowning2: ), so according to the woman who answered my call they should be back at my audiologist by next week.

Fingers crossed that they fit, LOL. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #4,496 of 22,945
Yeah, got mine for even less.
wink.gif

I got mine for $775 shipped.  If you ask around nicely to the Shure authorized retailers, you can probably find one who will give you a good deal.  Mine came new, factory sealed, with a full 2 year warranty.

You just have to work a bit.  In my case, working a bit saved me $225, so it was well worth it to me.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #4,497 of 22,945
Has anyone ever had an issue with their IEM's unplugging on their own from the cable? I sometimes have to unplug mine and I leave it dangling but I always am scared I'll loose one. Any tips or suggestions on easing my woes?

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,499 of 22,945
Has anyone ever had an issue with their IEM's unplugging on their own from the cable? I sometimes have to unplug mine and I leave it dangling but I always am scared I'll loose one. Any tips or suggestions on easing my woes?

Nope, mine is attached so tight, it needs a great deal of force to pull it apart.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #4,500 of 22,945
I just got the SE846 yesterday, and I'm extremely disappointed. Not because of the headphones, but because of my audio source.

I'm using a Galaxy S4 (at&t version) to power these, and there's this very obnoxious popping sound occurring ALL THE TIME. I know it's not the earphones because the same files play with no issue from my laptop. And my SE535s play these files perfectly fine from the S4. I tried updating my phone to the newest ROM (Android 4.4.4) but it didn't solve the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone here running these IEMs with a Galaxy S4? If so, what ROM are you using?

I tried PowerAmp as well as other music players, and so far it keeps happening, but only on the SE846. I know they are more sensitive or something,  but this just IS NOT FAIR!!! Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back