Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #4,501 of 22,945
Sort of a dumb question, but have you tried using the SE535 cable on your SE846? Maybe you got a bum cable. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #4,503 of 22,945
  Sort of a dumb question, but have you tried using the SE535 cable on your SE846? Maybe you got a bum cable. 

Definitely not a dumb question, but I tried both cables that came with the SE846, and they both have the same problem. It's only with my S4 though. They work smoothly through  my laptop.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #4,504 of 22,945
Hello everyone,

I started a thread yesterday concerning the se846 and DAPS. Basically, I purchased a pair of 846s a couple weeks ago and absolutely LOVING them, but am currently using my IPhone 5s as a source and would like to upgrade to something better. Originally, I was thinking of getting the Fiio x5 and being done with it, but after reading quite a bit here on head-fi about various different DAPS (such as the hm901) I was thinking that maybe the Fiio x5 wouldn't quite do the Shures justice? I'm also planning on ordering a silver litz reference cable from headphone lounge but am waiting until I sort a couple things out (such as if I ended up buying the hm901, and wanted to run balanced out) before I buy it. I listen to about 60% classical music and 40% assorted other genres (rock, folk, some pop, etc) and my music library is about half mp3s and half flac (including a fair bit of 96/24). Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Olisim

P.S. Please tell me if I'm breaking any cross thread posting rules or anything of the like, and I sincerely apologize if I do, I'm brand new to Head-Fi (just joined yesterday)
smily_headphones1.gif

P.P.S. It's an awesome community you guys are running here (and an awesome group of people in that community!)

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,505 of 22,945
^ I listening to my 846 right now off an X5 and I will say I am quite satisfied.  As reference, my home set up is HD800 driven by Woo audio WA22. 
846+X5 combo puts a smile on my face every time.   I highly recommend it.  Also, I love having 256GB of DSD/HD and FLAC tracks on the go.  UI could be better but as a software engineer, I manage.

gs1000.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4,506 of 22,945
I just got the SE846 yesterday, and I'm extremely disappointed. Not because of the headphones, but because of my audio source.

I'm using a Galaxy S4 (at&t version) to power these, and there's this very obnoxious popping sound occurring ALL THE TIME. I know it's not the earphones because the same files play with no issue from my laptop. And my SE535s play these files perfectly fine from the S4. I tried updating my phone to the newest ROM (Android 4.4.4) but it didn't solve the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone here running these IEMs with a Galaxy S4? If so, what ROM are you using?

I tried PowerAmp as well as other music players, and so far it keeps happening, but only on the SE846. I know they are more sensitive or something,  but this just IS NOT FAIR!!! Any advice?

I had issues with a specific flat album but they are fine with other sources. Is it specific to mp3s or streaming?

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #4,507 of 22,945
Just got the 846 and listening to a few tracks. I was a little hesitant buying these, because of the price. Worth every penny. I'm thinking about playing with the filters, the bass seems to be bleeding a little. Maybe I need some time to adjust my ears. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #4,508 of 22,945
Just got the 846 and listening to a few tracks. I was a little hesitant buying these, because of the price. Worth every penny. I'm thinking about playing with the filters, the bass seems to be bleeding a little. Maybe I need some time to adjust my ears. 

That was exactly my initial reaction to the 8s when I first started listening to them. The first day I switched to the white filters but give them a day or so of brain burn in and you will hear the magic.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #4,509 of 22,945
  I just got the SE846 yesterday, and I'm extremely disappointed. Not because of the headphones, but because of my audio source.

I'm using a Galaxy S4 (at&t version) to power these, and there's this very obnoxious popping sound occurring ALL THE TIME. I know it's not the earphones because the same files play with no issue from my laptop. And my SE535s play these files perfectly fine from the S4. I tried updating my phone to the newest ROM (Android 4.4.4) but it didn't solve the issue. Has anyone else experienced this? Is anyone here running these IEMs with a Galaxy S4? If so, what ROM are you using?

I tried PowerAmp as well as other music players, and so far it keeps happening, but only on the SE846. I know they are more sensitive or something,  but this just IS NOT FAIR!!! Any advice?

Try putting the phone on airplane mode, disable wifi/bluetooth.  Sensitive iems pick EMI easily. 
A cheap DAP like, Fiio X3/DX 50 are much much better than phones for a portable source.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4,510 of 22,945
  I got mine for $775 shipped.  If you ask around nicely to the Shure authorized retailers, you can probably find one who will give you a good deal.  Mine came new, factory sealed, with a full 2 year warranty.

You just have to work a bit.  In my case, working a bit saved me $225, so it was well worth it to me.

I ordered mine brand NEW for $735, yesterday. I was making offers on the used one, but looks like the seller was having a sale this week.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #4,511 of 22,945
I got a big smile on right now.
gs1000.gif

Right now I'm using my Galaxy S5, trying to find the right DAP. I've been checking a few under 600, and most of them have a lot of firmware issues. I might just get 7th gen iPod classic. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4,512 of 22,945
  ^ I listening to my 846 right now off an X5 and I will say I am quite satisfied.  As reference, my home set up is HD800 driven by Woo audio WA22. 
846+X5 combo puts a smile on my face every time.   I highly recommend it.  Also, I love having 256GB of DSD/HD and FLAC tracks on the go.  UI could be better but as a software engineer, I manage.

gs1000.gif

+1 for X5, especially at the price.

Sure, there's still room for a little improvement if you try the X5's line-out with an external amp, but the X5 on it's own is a great performer (and more sonically accurate than my RWAK100 which costs about double)

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4,513 of 22,945
  I got a big smile on right now.
gs1000.gif

Right now I'm using my Galaxy S5, trying to find the right DAP. I've been checking a few under 600, and most of them have a lot of firmware issues. I might just get 7th gen iPod classic. 

Once you listen to your 846 on a DAP, you won't go back to iPod. 
biggrin.gif
  What's on your DAP shopping list?

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #4,514 of 22,945
My cousin has been trying to get a pair of these from hong kong for me for the past month and they're out of stock everywhere ... at a good price anyway. 

They've come down in price as well even having such high demand for them. Mine are on order for HKD$6300 .. which is around US$812. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #4,515 of 22,945

gs1000.gif

+1 for X5, especially at the price.

Sure, there's still room for a little improvement if you try the X5's line-out with an external amp, but the X5 on it's own is a great performer (and more sonically accurate than my RWAK100 which costs about double)

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm feeling a little bit hopeful now that my wallet may not be taking quite as large a hit as I had dreaded......... If only I could demo the HM901 (I can demo the X5 at a local shop, which I haven't done yet.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back