Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #22,621 of 22,954
I’ve been quite happy with the red filter in my gen1s these past few months, but I found a filter mod thread for the 535s and replacing the stock filter with a Knowles brown filter transformed them.
So I found another thread on 846s and found myself going down a rabbit hole, trying different Knowles screens in different positions, kinda broke my white filter tubes in the process.

But… what I have now blows the red filter away, and it’s simple - my white filter tubes now just have knowles green screens at the iem end. Totally opened up the sound and no sibilance or fatiguing harsh treble.

I posted on the filter mod thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-17

Attachments

• IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 31, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #22,622 of 22,954
Westone Silicone Star tips are still IMO the best fit for the SE846.
hi xSDMx, can you please share the link for the Westone Silicone Star. I found them on amazon but don't know which ones as there are so many specs. thanks.

Jun 5, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #22,624 of 22,954
>But… what I have now blows the red filter away, and it’s simple - my white filter tubes now just have knowles green screens at the iem end. Totally opened up the sound and no sibilance or fatiguing harsh treble.

Could you share where you bought the filters from? I see options on aliexpress but not sure if they are the correct ones. My location is EU.
Thanks.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #22,625 of 22,954
Could you share where you bought the filters from? I see options on aliexpress but not sure if they are the correct ones. My location is EU.
Thanks.
I got them from here:
AliExpress. US $2.35 19% Off | 2PCS Balanced Armature Damping Damper Plugs filters Knowles Acoustic Dampers for Shure Se215 se315 se425 se535 Se846 TF10 LM5144

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtLacvm

I believe also the 1.78mm screens are the same, but not installed in the SS ring.

These dampers are really small and fiddly, you can lose them quite easily. So given their price and that you pay shipping, many people buy at least 2 pairs of each color they’re interested in. So I’d say at least 2 sets of greens.

If you also have SE535 then get 2 of the browns too!

For SE846 I recommend these in the SS ring because you can line up the ring and the Shure filter in your finger and thumb and use a blunt toothpick to push the green screen from the SS ring directly into the filter.

Try it out. Install one side first and do a comparison with your preferred filter in the other ear piece; how is the sound in the green filter side?

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #22,626 of 22,954
These dampers are really small and fiddly, you can lose them quite easily. So given their price and that you pay shipping, many people buy at least 2 pairs of each color they’re interested in. So I’d say at least 2 sets of greens.
Thanks a ton. I am ordering 2 sets of green soon :)
>For SE846 I recommend these in the SS ring because you can line up the ring and the Shure filter in your finger and thumb and use a blunt toothpick to push the green screen from the SS ring directly into the filter.
Could you please tell me what you meant by SS ring? Is it the top portion of filter with the red O-ring?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #22,628 of 22,954
No I mean the Knowles filter itself, comes as a SS ring with the screen inside it.
Okay. I understand it now. I will try like that (as in your picture). Will update you once I have them.

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #22,629 of 22,954
But I have the TW2 and Fiio UTWS5 and the Shures are better in every way - except max volume is higher for the Fiios. It’s just the Bluetooth limitation I think, not a fault of the TW2s.

I now run with my 535s hooked up to the TW2s instead because I can eq them, and have brown Knowles filters which transform the 535s.

Bluetooth makes the music sound like it’s playing at half speed through the 846s compared to wired.

Has anyone tried taking Knowles filter pieces and putting them inside the white filter? I ask because they really do make the 535s so much better.
I use an iphone 14 and the samsung flip neither of which have high res codecs. I read somewhere here that i could use a creative bt dongle with an iphone using a lighting to usb camera dongle. it works like a charm on the se846 gen2 and i’m getting fantastic resolution. i didn’t get the tw2 becuase it didn’t support the higher res. im using it right now with the hiby rs8.
im really looking forward to the igi go dongle

Jun 21, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #22,630 of 22,954
Hey, I got the filters. I am not able to slide it to the filter, and I ****ed up :/
I broke the filter while trying to get the green filter in with the SS housing. Am I doing it all wrong?

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #22,631 of 22,954
Hey, I got the filters. I am not able to slide it to the filter, and I ****ed up :/
I broke the filter while trying to get the green filter in with the SS housing. Am I doing it all wrong?
You need to transfer the green screen from the SS housing into your white filter tube.
I know the filter mod thread talks about getting the SS housing in too but I found it better to just have the green screen by itself.

FWIW my white filter tubes are pretty beaten up because I was trying to insert the SS housing into either end and the ear end has split! But my final setup sounds great anyway.

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #22,632 of 22,954
You need to transfer the green screen from the SS housing into your white filter tube.
Thanks a lot. I spend quite some time trying to get SS inside the tube, and the end result was pretty laughable.
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-22 at 09.36.50.jpeg

FWIW my white filter tubes are pretty beaten up because I was trying to insert the SS housing into either end and the ear end has split! But my final setup sounds great anyway.
This is reassuring, I was feeling down that I tore the tube. Will update!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #22,633 of 22,954
Thanks a lot. I spend quite some time trying to get SS inside the tube, and the end result was pretty laughable.
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-22 at 09.36.50.jpeg

This is reassuring, I was a feeling down that I tore the tube. Will update!
Yep - I hear you!
Make sure to just replace the existing brown screen with the green screen - at the iem end with the o-ring.
I popped the existing screen out using a blunt needle from the other end, then used a blunt toothpick the push the green screen out of its SS housing straight into the white tube.

Jun 22, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #22,634 of 22,954
Make sure to just replace the existing brown screen with the green screen - at the iem end with the o-ring.
Thanks for this. I wouldn't have otherwise. Should I push the filter high up till the O-ring end? I now have it like this, green at the center, similar to the picture in this thread.
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-22 at 10.14.56.jpeg

Update:
I was struggling a bit with moving the filter inside from O-ring side. So pushed it up from the bigger bore end till the maximum upward position. Now testing the sound. First impression - I love it!!!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #22,635 of 22,954
Thanks for this. I wouldn't have otherwise. Should I push the filter high up till the O-ring end? I now have it like this, green at the center, similar to the picture in this thread.
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-22 at 10.14.56.jpeg
Update:
I was struggling a bit with moving the filter inside from O-ring side. So pushed it up from the bigger bore end till the maximum upward position. Now testing the sound. First impression - I love it!!!
Mine are at the other end by the o-ring. I did try at either end and prefer it this way. It’s basically where the original brown screen was.
Perhaps you need to open up that end with something - mine were opened up because I was trying to fit the whole SS housing in there before!
The white tube is narrower around 3mm inside which prevents you getting that screen all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back