Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Nov 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #166 of 493
I received mine today as well. So I'll just post a few quick out of the box impressions since gelocks have pretty much nailed everything I hear right now. It's been a while since I owned the 840s, and also a couple of months since the last time I listened to the 1840s. But right off the bat I will say it sounds like a much more refined 840 with more bass quantity(and quality) with better extension at both ends. For me it has more in common sonically with the 840 than the 1840. So it's more of an evolution in that direction.

The bass is just a little bloated, and the highs are slightly subdued. But I will say the extension is there in the highs which is a good thing. The mids are fantastic...rich, full-bodied, and lush. There is just a slight hint of grain though. The bass extends deep, has good texture, and definition and fairly tight as well. I'm hoping the slight bloat, and I mean slight, goes away with burn in as well as the slight grain. 

But these are a very fun sounding set of cans. They have just enough of the technicalities to please even the most seasoned headfier, while being musically pleasing to listen to. I think these easily surpass the 1840. Instrument separation isn't quiet as good, but plenty good enough. Hopefully that will improve with burn in as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #168 of 493
  I have the Denons and the 1540 were much much better for the reasons you suspect: really amazing mids and highs.  Also, in my opinion, better bass.  

well the D2k has all that lovely Sub Bass, and a dampend wooden back should help bring the mids forward maybe... I really need to get the drivers dampend and un dampen the cup :/. Might be able to re pourpose the Dampening mat in the Cup to cover both drivers. I would think it would be more than enough honestly 

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #169 of 493
Well after 24 hours of burn in, things have improved. The bass has tightened up, the grain in the mids has reduced, and the treble is no longer subdued. The sound has really opened up. Very impressive closed headphone for the money. It beats most midfi open cans I've owned or listened to. That's a feat some 1000.00 and above closed cans I've heard couldn't do.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #170 of 493
Wild Shot: Can anyone compare these to the TH600's?

1.) Isolation? I used to listen to modded D2k's and they leaked enough to piss off the wife when she was trying to sleep (I'm a night owl, she's an early riser). The TH600's seem like they leak similarly, BUT that bass.
2.) That Bass: Just wondering how the bass compares. I'm a subbass whore. And I don't expect the Shures to be able to keep up with the TH600's, but are we talking same ball park or different area code?
3.) Are the TH600's worth the extra $300?

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #171 of 493
  Wild Shot: Can anyone compare these to the TH600's?

1.) Isolation? I used to listen to modded D2k's and they leaked enough to piss off the wife when she was trying to sleep (I'm a night owl, she's an early riser). The TH600's seem like they leak similarly, BUT that bass.
2.) That Bass: Just wondering how the bass compares. I'm a subbass whore. And I don't expect the Shures to be able to keep up with the TH600's, but are we talking same ball park or different area code?
3.) Are the TH600's worth the extra $300?

Lemme ask you, if you are worried about isolation and leakage, why ask if the TH600s are worth the extra $300 if they are NOT going to meet all your requirements anyway?!?!

ANyway, Good not great isolation for the SRH1540s. No sound leakage, at least from what my co-workers told me.
It does have good sub-bass but NOT D2000/D5000 basshead sub-bass (so the TH600s might beat them there...)

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #172 of 493
Excellent question/point. See, I WANT to get the TH600's. I'm trying to find a reason not to get them. I was hoping the Shures could give me an out. Not sure if that makes sense. Just looking for the best, real closed can (that doesn't leak). But alas, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #173 of 493
The shires come as close as you can get to a do it all closed can. Isolation is good, good sub bass, sound stage, imaging etc. It's not stellar at neither, but you get all could ask for in a closed can at a really good price.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #174 of 493
The shires come as close as you can get to a do it all closed can. Isolation is good, good sub bass, sound stage, imaging etc. It's not stellar at neither, but you get all could ask for in a closed can at a really good price.

an hopefully modding will take it to that next lvl maybe!

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #176 of 493
  Damn! Trying to buy these on amazon but the price is $649. Smh. How long do I have to wait to get these for $500? 

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-srh1540.html

Done.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #178 of 493
Moonaudio also have them for 500
smily_headphones1.gif

WOOT and those guys are a 3 hour drive from my house :D [I should TOTALLY go demo then :O] 

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #180 of 493
  These headphones seem to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for (closed, fun, velours).

I also own the Schiit Asgard 2 and I am curious if there you hear any noise floor running the SRH150's through it. At 46 ohm and 99 dB SPL I was a bit worried about my Asgard being too much for them.

Does the Asgard not have a Gain option? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back