Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Mar 1, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #481 of 493
  I just listened to what a ribbon microphone sounds like on youtube, and it doesn't sound too good... I mean it's not bad, but modern mics have better record quality.

Ribbon mics are revered for their smoothness and lack of grain.  Watching a YouTube of it isn't going to convey that.  You have to hear it for yourself.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #483 of 493
There are modern ribbon mics, and they're making a comeback.

And that recording sounded fine.  If you didn't like it, then the Shure 1540s are not for you at all.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #484 of 493
  I just listened to what a ribbon microphone sounds like on youtube, and it doesn't sound too good... I mean it's not bad, but modern mics have better record quality.

On you-tube, huh? Now that's a high resolution format
rolleyes.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #486 of 493
I'm just gonna say that these headphones were made for Dire Straits.  Seriously, their entire catalog has never sounded better.  Everything is done just right.  I'm probably not going to get to bed any time soon tonight.  Right now, I've got Telegraph Road playing.  It is wonderful.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #489 of 493
I've put several more hours over several listening sessions on these, so my opinion is even more locked in.  My overall opinion has not changed at all, as these are the best headphones I've ever owned.  I think they surpass the mighty HD600s.

Anyway, I started to really think about what makes these special.  I've come down to two major conclusions (no need to rehash all of the opinions about bass, mids, and treble, as those are pretty obvious at this point).

1) As I previously stated, they have a ribbon mic presence to them.  That's very pleasing.

2) They have a room quality sound to them.  In natural rooms with loudspeakers, bass tends to come forward and highs are a little subdued.  I had a chance to listed to a really nice speaker system this weekend (not mine, as mine isn't very good), and my opinion was confirmed.  These Shures are tuned in a similar manner than I hear in room settings.

Then, I read about the new NAD VISO HP50, which are tuned to have "room feel."  When I compared their freq resp, bingo.  Behold.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #490 of 493
Thanks for the input, Jay. You're slowly selling me on these with each post... :)

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #493 of 493
After owning these and using them every day for about a year now, I must post a couple things about them.

1. I do really like them. If there is any other headphone I would rather have that suits my sound signature preference, it would be HD650, but I need a closed phone.

2. I have ran into a couple comfort issues with them.

a. The pads are slightly too small for my ears. I tried the Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K702 and a meet and found that the pads of these headphones in a comparable price range fit all the way around my ears, and thus were much more comfortable for me.

b. The headband is a very poor design in my opinion. Why have two strips across the top instead of just one piece? This railroad track digs into my cranium after extended periods of time wearing them. I think Shure must have thought that they could save weight or something this way. What was Shure thinking!?

c. The cable is only six feet. A ten foot (3 meter) cable would be so much better for desktop use in my opinion. A hanging cable just puts more weight/pressure on the phones. I easily fixed this with a six foot extension cable.

Lately I've been back to my DT770 - 80 ohms because the small comfort gripes were getting to me. All in all, great headphones though. I'll probably rotate them back again after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back