Shozy Zero IEMs
May 20, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #811 of 1,545
Have you got the XB90EX by any chance? If so what are your impressions compared to the Zeros?

Yes, two pairs actually, just in case something happens to them. First the Zero and the 90ex are not even in the same category when it comes to bass impact or refinement.

The Zero doesn't sound any different when amping. The 90ex benefits a lot from amping and scales up well with nicer amps. Weaker sources will be better with the Zero but if you have at least 150-200mW you can get serious sub bass with the 90ex.

Just personal preference but I find the 90ex to have clearer & more balanced mids and treble  as well. Most of my listening is done with Aurisonics ASG 2.5 or Yamaha HS8 monitors so that is what I have as a frame of reference. Some people love the 90ex fit, some people don't, there is no disputing the Zero is very comfy and fits well. I will always prefer the xb90ex though.

If you're all about the bass, just get the xb90ex. If you listen to stuff that's got very heavy 60hz and lower or you amp you may be underwhelmed with the zero.

Vapeman , you should have burned them in longer on higher volume using bass heavy music:sunglasses:. The midrange is clean full and never stuffy.

I respectfully disagree. For the record I used extremely bass heavy music at normal listening volume. When I got mine the recommended burn in time was 60 hours so I did 120. Now it's at 200 and I already sent mine off. That extra 80 hours of burn in will never change a headphone's sound that drastically.

May 20, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #812 of 1,545
@vapman, zero is cleary not a basshead iem, it is intended mostly for acoustic, vocal. Tight bass cannot handle sub freq well.

just my 2cent. cheers.

May 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #813 of 1,545
  @vapman, zero is cleary not a basshead iem, it is intended mostly for acoustic, vocal. Tight bass cannot handle sub freq well.

just my 2cent. cheers.

I am in full agreement. No argument here.

beerchug.gif

May 21, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #817 of 1,545
cool.gif
Geez Vapman, you truly ARE a Basshead, After a little over 100 hours on the Zeros the Bass has opened up nicely. For me there is PLENTY of Bass here. I don't find the Mids Bloated, just forward, and like NLNH said concerning early roll offs, with the Rolled off highs, (which I absolutely LOVE), it just accentuates the Mids that much more. I'm liking these Very much. I find them a nice Full non-fatiguing listen. As far as sounding "Airy" I simply wouldn't expect that from a closed-back IEM or Headphone. I think some of the Hybrid Designs can "Approximate" that Airy signature that a single DD cannot. JMHO

100+ and I'm really liking this little Guy.

Vapman you want all Bass all the Time, and good Quality I'd suggest the TK12 unless you need a mic.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

May 21, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #818 of 1,545
I know the zero is a great iem and that is why I was happy to pay it forward instead of letting them sit in the drawer. Sorry to take it off topic. I actually have tk13 in the mail, they were accepted today by China post.

If shozy ever makes a zero like iem with a 14mm or bigger driver I would so love to hear what they could do. Bet you shozy could pull off something sweet with that kind of spec. I still rec the zero to non bassheads.

May 21, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #819 of 1,545
I know the zero is a great iem and that is why I was happy to pay it forward instead of letting them sit in the drawer. Sorry to take it off topic. I actually have tk13 in the mail, they were accepted today by China post.

If shozy ever makes a zero like iem with a 14mm or bigger driver I would so love to hear what they could do. Bet you shozy could pull off something sweet with that kind of spec. I still rec the zero to non bassheads.

yes definitely for non bassheads!

May 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #820 of 1,545
I would lean more towards slight product variation over burn in differences personally.

Over my time here I have heard a few occasions the same model IEM sounding slightly different.

Even from the well known Westone brand being one of them. 

May 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #821 of 1,545
I've burned Zero in for quite some time now...

Listening to SOUNDAWARE Esther Analog -> Shozy Zero IEM last night and again this morning. Very nice, warm mid-centric sound without getting too syrupy. Bass is lacking lunch with this setup but otherwise a very nice, relaxing listen. I'll try with other DAPs that I know add more punch and thin out the mids a bit and report back. I'll also try with my iPhone on NLNH's suggestion.

One thing I'll say is that I find the stock tips and I don't get along. Hard to get a seal in my picky right ear and vacuum pressure in my left ear. Switched to some short-ish wide-bore double-flange tips and am getting a better deal with fewer vacuum issues.

May 21, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #822 of 1,545
I've burned Zero in for quite some time now...

Listening to SOUNDAWARE Esther Analog -> Shozy Zero IEM last night and again this morning. Very nice, warm mid-centric sound without getting too syrupy. Bass is lacking lunch with this setup but otherwise a very nice, relaxing listen. I'll try with other DAPs that I know add more punch and thin out the mids a bit and report back. I'll also try with my iPhone on @NLNH's suggestion.

One thing I'll say is that I find the stock tips and I don't get along. Hard to get a seal in my picky right ear and vacuum pressure in my left ear. Switched to some short-ish wide-bore double-flange tips and am getting a better deal with fewer vacuum issues.

Do you have Cayin N5 you can try? That's my holy temple with candles for Zero.

May 21, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #823 of 1,545
Do you have Cayin N5 you can try? That's my holy temple with candles for Zero.

How did you know which DAP I was moving to next? :wink_face:

But seriously, after hearing Zero out of a more mid-centric source I can see just what Zero need to gain a little excitement, and I was thinking N5 will add punch to the bass, lean up the mids a bit, and provide nice sparkle up top. Esther Analog is giving very nice soundstage, so I'm not expecting that to improve too much but I could be surprised.

Funny thing is I thought of that this morning when I threw them back in my ears but had totally forgotten about your holy mission to convert the world to N5 -> Zero, lol :p

Oh yeah, TwinACStacks you can totally get airy sound in IEM IMHO. Just gotta find the right IEM + source.

May 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #824 of 1,545
How did you know which DAP I was moving to next?
wink_face.gif

But seriously, after hearing Zero out of a more mid-centric source I can see just what Zero need to gain a little excitement, and I was thinking N5 will add punch to the bass, lean up the mids a bit, and provide nice sparkle up top. Esther Analog is giving very nice soundstage, so I'm not expecting that to improve too much but I could be surprised.

Funny thing is I thought of that this morning when I threw them back in my ears but had totally forgotten about your holy mission to convert the world to N5 -> Zero, lol
tongue.gif

Oh yeah, @TwinACStacks you can totally get airy sound in IEM IMHO. Just gotta find the right IEM + source.

actually interested in m5 and zero hehe

May 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #825 of 1,545
I was pretty skeptical at first from reading a review, but hitting the 200hr mark on burn in for these really do help in my experience as well. Much smoother, opens up, bass settles in much better. Initial 100 hours didn't sound that smooth, it was still fatiguing to me. 200 hours and imo fatigue free now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back