Show us your vintage headphones!
Jul 16, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,246 of 3,125
  Great thread, very enjoyable!
beerchug.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi and the Vintage HP thread, this is one of my favorite threads on the web 

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #1,248 of 3,125
Here's my latest contribution.

The Yamaha YH-1 and YHD-1.

EDIT: I stuck a TDS-5M headband onto the YH-1 because the stock one was really messed up.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,250 of 3,125
  I just looked at your pics again.  How do you pop the pins out? I took the screw on cover off (That was the easy part...)

Sorry, what do you mean?

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,253 of 3,125
For taking the pins out, I assume you have already got the arms off the sides of the cup by pulling both outwards and the cup is now loose?
 Then there should be a little slot in the end of each  cup pin you need to unscrew them using that slot. I just had a look at the AT-706 here should be the same it's the same housing.

Ahh that picture of the Philips N6315 what a great design. I had thought it was paper cone for some reason but it is a larger mylar thing then. Wish I realized that at the time.  really nice headphone there.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,254 of 3,125
nick
Oh, no I haven't.  I unscrewed the earpads and that's about all.  When you pull the arms off the side, are they like spring steel and will just go back into position or will there be some bending involved?  Sorry for so many questions, just didn't want to ruin a set of cans by doing something dumb.  Thanks for all the information.  I am not 100% ready to try to mod them, just surveying how difficult it will potentially be.
Thanks again!!!!
I guess I will have to post some pics though, seeing as how this is a pics thread.  I just got my Realistic Pro 50s in the mail and am listening to those now too.  Funny thing with them, it seems like whoever had them didn't like the word "Realistic" on the side badges and sanded them off.  Too bad.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,256 of 3,125

akg k240 sextett EP - from seventies... 40 years old beauties.... nice headphones, strong, well articulated bass and engaging trebles...
great for electro and jazz, just departing with them as my headphones depository started to look like a small shop :)
hope they will be happy in their new home. :)

akg k340 - also from seventies - pretty awesome headphones, my definite favourites for classical music - all strings sound like Stradivarius, they just ooze so much sweetness, their mids are simply eargasmic, and with tube amp they just sing and I just listen.
Cant imagine better mids for chamber music.
I salute you, AKG.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,257 of 3,125
  nick
Oh, no I haven't.  I unscrewed the earpads and that's about all.  When you pull the arms off the side, are they like spring steel and will just go back into position or will there be some bending involved?  Sorry for so many questions, just didn't want to ruin a set of cans by doing something dumb.  Thanks for all the information.  I am not 100% ready to try to mod them, just surveying how difficult it will potentially be.
Thanks again!!!!
I guess I will have to post some pics though, seeing as how this is a pics thread.  I just got my Realistic Pro 50s in the mail and am listening to those now too.  Funny thing with them, it seems like whoever had them didn't like the word "Realistic" on the side badges and sanded them off.  Too bad.

The arms will retain their shape so yes spring steel. You don't need to go crazy on pulling them just enough to let the cups drop off.

It's not difficult you can have everything in bits within 3 minutes. Just look  how you do it, if you are worried about replacing in order again , just do one at a time then use the other as a guide. Always  here to help.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,258 of 3,125
Cool, thanks!!! I tried pulling the arms and the came right out like you said.  Next I'll unscrew them to get to the insides.  I never would have thought to do this on my own.  This forum and thread is fantastic!

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,259 of 3,125

Philips N6315

Wow, I didn't know that can actually existed outside of old catalogs. 

I recognize those transducers. 55mm Fostex-made 32 ohm dynamics, if I'm not mistaken. They were OEM'd out a lot, and I've seen them show up in several different headphones. They can sound quite nice in the right implementation, though they have a bit of bass roll off and some distortion problems.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,260 of 3,125
Look at the interesting swivel on the arms.
Yeah I recall them being 55 or 57 mm also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back