Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #9,137 of 41,288
Quote:
I didn't use marker, it's painted. That was the only cheap alternative I had. But I still take suggestions.

I would say if you wanted to take the time to remove the paint and etch it in with a template that you could probably make yourself and then cover the areas not etched and stain the parts etched a darker color? I have no idea how to work with woods so I'm not sure if this is feasible or not.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #9,138 of 41,288
I actually like the paint. The font goes along with the wood an imparts more of a warm and inviting feel than a pure nameplate.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #9,139 of 41,288
I'll bet there's some place that sells pre-made lettering for cheap. Google, here I come. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #9,141 of 41,288
How about going to a local trophy shop and getting silver pates engraved that match the dials?  Shouldn't cost more than $30 for all three and would add a nice clean look...

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #9,142 of 41,288
Quote:
How about going to a local trophy shop and getting silver pates engraved that match the dials?  Shouldn't cost more than $30 for all three and would add a nice clean look...

Oh man, I never thought about using a trophy shop, but it's brilliant! I'll have to give it a try for my next build. Thanks for the idea. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #9,143 of 41,288
Or etch it in with a woodburning kit... though that's a skill that needs to be learned all its own. It'd look nice though. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #9,144 of 41,288

Haven't listened to one of these in a while... Looks like my Nakamichi BX-2 is still running strong after all these years! :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #9,145 of 41,288
Quote:

Really nice work. I would sand the lettering off and stain the wood with wood dye, and then varnish with wax. You could have a nice Rosewood or Mahogany colour to match yur LCD2's!

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #9,146 of 41,288
Quote:

This is a very enjoyable setup. I think I prefer Asus Xonar Essence One over Woo Audio WA6-SE and Grace Design m903 with the LCD-3s. More powah!

Nice!
Have you tried the xonar with HD 650?

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #9,147 of 41,288
Quote:

Oh man, I never thought about using a trophy shop, but it's brilliant! I'll have to give it a try for my next build. Thanks for the idea. 
beerchug.gif

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #9,148 of 41,288
Quote:
Nice!
Have you tried the xonar with HD 650?

Sure. I have tried it with LCD-2 r1, LCD-3, HD 600, HD 650, D7000, T1 and some others lower end cans, all of which I currently own. Here are some initial impressions of Asus Xonar Essence One. I've not yet started changing the opamps, but sure will. I feel the value of this product is really high, and find it weird that not more head-fiers have it or are talking about it. The biggest downside is that the volume knobs are cheap and there are imbalances on the lowest settings, but you can just turn down the volume in foobar and have a greater range with lower impedance and highly sensitive cans.

I'd say HD 650 and Essence One is a very good combo. HD 650 can be a bit too smooth, laidback and lacking in details, but with the stock Essence One it is more up front, controlled and detailed in my ears. I currently own Grace Design m903 and Woo Audio WA6-SE with a ton of tubes, and that's what I'm basing the statements on. It's hard to describe sound unless you have something to compare it with.

Here is a pdf file with a step by step tutorial for swapping the opamps, and also some opamp recommendations and sound descriptions.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #9,149 of 41,288
Quote:

Sure. I have tried it with LCD-2 r1, LCD-3, HD 600, HD 650, D7000, T1 and some others lower end cans, all of which I currently own. Here are some initial impressions of Asus Xonar Essence One. I've not yet started changing the opamps, but sure will. I feel the value of this product is really high, and find it weird that not more head-fiers have it or are talking about it. The biggest downside is that the volume knobs are cheap and there are imbalances on the lowest settings, but you can just turn down the volume in foobar and have a greater range with lower impedance and highly sensitive cans.

I'd say HD 650 and Essence One is a very good combo. HD 650 can be a bit too smooth, laidback and lacking in details, but with the stock Essence One it is more up front, controlled and detailed in my ears. I currently own Grace Design m903 and Woo Audio WA6-SE with a ton of tubes, and that's what I'm basing the statements on. It's hard to describe sound unless you have something to compare it with.

Here is a pdf file with a step by step tutorial for swapping the opamps, and also some opamp recommendations and sound descriptions.

Thanks a lot dude. From what you're saying, looks like we have some common in term of taste with the HD 650. I'll think when the essence one is available at my country, I'll buy it. Right now I'm still using some china-made value class DAC/AMP (Topping D2, in case if you ask), and I'm still not pretty much impressed by how it sounds. The Topping D2 has made the HD 650 sounds more forward and energetic than how it normally does, but I'm still not getting the "wow" factor. I think I'll try this essense one. Thanks for the information by the way.
beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9,150 of 41,288
I just have to be that grammar Nazi :) Shouldn't that be "balanced" and not "balance" :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back