Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 29, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #6,436 of 41,454
Sonett with tubes from the late 80s and late 60s
Sony CD player from 2001 
HD 700 from 2012

Tubes from various places in time

In rotation CDs from all over the map

Long live the CD!  And records.

And hopefully my tubes.

beerchug.gif

May 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #6,440 of 41,454
Here's the bedroom rig I cobbled together around the D5000 after removing the RA150/HE-6:

The old 12" Powerbook is still running strong, with Pure Music pumping ALAC into a DAC WOW that is in the back amongst the wires. Then on to the tube stage and x-head. And yes, that's a fully-functional 1G iPod, with a firewire interface (no dock connector), mechanical click wheel and 5GB of storage.

May 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #6,441 of 41,454
Quote:
Here's the bedroom rig I cobbled together around the D5000 after removing the RA150/HE-6:

The old 12" Powerbook is still running strong, with Pure Music pumping ALAC into a DAC WOW that is in the back amongst the wires. Then on to the tube stage and x-head. And yes, that's a fully-functional 1G iPod, with a firewire interface (no dock connector), mechanical click wheel and 5GB of storage.

Yummy.

How do you like your D5000 with the tubes? Is the extension compromised at all?

May 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #6,442 of 41,454
I would say no, but I haven't tried the DAC WOW without the tubes yet. I like that combo better than the Devilsound DAC cable, which I preferred without the tube stage. The next step is to roll some different tubes in, this is only the second pair...

May 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #6,443 of 41,454
Finally found my camera hiding under a bookshelf, so I can finally post here.

rig is
Kenwood dp-730
Akai Am-2350
KEF C40's
And Shure Srh-940's

The whole rig was free, except for the Shures and the speakers which were bought used for around US$100

Oh, and in the spirit of the media rant on here.  I purchase CD's, I pay alot for shipping, I buy new, used, from major chains, independent stores, and online, from record labels, the artist themselves, and amazon. 
Music to me is very important, so I'm happy paying whatever it costs to get. I don't feel anyone on this forum should try to justify stealing music. Suck it up and pay for it. Nothing in life is free, taking something for free comes at the expense of others, even if it is indirect.  You don't steal your headphones. The music you listen to should easily outweigh the cost of the medium you use to listen to it with. Got a problem with it, don't bring it here, PM me, or start a new thread and send me a link to it.
The internet could  be a beautiful opportunity for sharing knowledge and information, yet it's tainted with illegal activity and general disregard for others.

May 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #6,444 of 41,454
The internet is just a reflection of society at large, which is and has always been generally tainted with illegal activity and disregard for others. The added enabling bonus is anonymity :cool:

May 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #6,445 of 41,454
Here's brighter shot for you guys. Kinda bad shot but it's the best I can take in an attic...

May 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #6,446 of 41,454
Quote:
Here's brighter shot for you guys. Kinda bad shot but it's the best I can take in an attic...

OMG. I wish I had an attic stuffed with stuff like yours. Nice! Especially like the X-CAN V8p.

May 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #6,447 of 41,454
You don't want an attic like this, trust me...

The X-CANV8P is quite rare and desirable now. It has one of the most pleasurable signatures I've heard on an amp. Totally liquid mids, silky highs, and robust yet tight bass. You have one don't you?

Also did you ever look into those Signature amps I told you about?

Quote:
OMG. I wish I had an attic stuffed with stuff like yours. Nice! Especially like the X-CAN V8p.

May 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #6,448 of 41,454
Quote:

Do you need to wear sun glasses to go change the settings on the Violectric DAC? 
biggrin.gif

And why so many amplifiers? Is it just a temporary situation to find what you like best, or are you actually using them all?

May 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #6,450 of 41,454
Quote:
You don't want an attic like this, trust me...

The X-CANV8P is quite rare and desirable now. It has one of the most pleasurable signatures I've heard on an amp. Totally liquid mids, silky highs, and robust yet tight bass. You have one don't you?

Also did you ever look into those Signature amps I told you about?

Yes! It was my very first headphone amp. I got it in 2009. I am just using it with the wall wart it came with, though. Any idea where I can get a decent power supply?

I have never swapped out the tubes in my X-CANV8P. Never had to (don't know how either). Which tubes are you using in your X-CAN?

Those Signature amps are really nice looking amps. I've never seen one nor have I ever heard one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back