Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4,126 of 4,593
It's also worth nothing that the HP1000 and Audio Technica Pro700 are the same headphone. Not too sure if that's the mk2 however.

Reference: http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/reviews/at_athpro700.php

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4,127 of 4,593
  It's also worth nothing that the HP1000 and Audio Technica Pro700 are the same headphone. Not too sure if that's the mk2 however.

Reference: http://www.djworx.com/skratchworx/reviews/at_athpro700.php

Yeah, good point. I've read that before but forgot to mention it. Thanks!

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #4,128 of 4,593

hi, i am going to buy a pair of headphones mainly for gaming, but also for music (50/% tehcno, 50% anything XD) and some movies.

there is almost no limit in price range.

i was between ath-m50 and vmoda 100. 

plz recommend me smthg

ps: i am mor inclined for the vmoda, mainly cause opf the detachable cable

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #4,129 of 4,593

hi, i am going to buy a pair of headphones mainly for gaming, but also for music (50/% tehcno, 50% anything XD) and some movies.

there is almost no limit in price range.

i was between ath-m50 and vmoda 100. 

plz recommend me smthg

ps: i am mor inclined for the vmoda, mainly cause opf the detachable cable

I don't do much gaming and I haven't tried the M-100. The ATH-M50 should be fine for electronic music, though, and is plenty durable as far as I know. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #4,130 of 4,593
After purchasing a pair of CAL!s for my desktop PC, I wanted to obtain a portable set of cans as well (CAL!s are way too delicate).  After some searching I discovered the JVC HA-S500, which has received many positive reviews from fellow Head-Fiers;  I liked what I read in their multi-thousand post appreciation thread, so I decided to pull the trigger.  Honestly, I'm not hearing what all of the forum hype is about.

Compared to the CAL!s, the JVC's bass overshadows its mids, and the upper mid-range / lower treble is almost nonexistent.  Sure, the bass hits harder and has a bit more texture than the CAL!s, but the mids are just so veiled...I hope that the burn-in process will bring the mids a few steps forward, else I will use the 5-band equalizer on my Sansa.

I will note that the JVCs are VERY easy to drive...to get to my listening levels, they require roughly half the power that the CAL!s do.

I am no professional audiophile, so the S500s may actually have the more neutral sound signature...but not to my ears, not by far.  That said, I look forward to reading Joker's opinion of the set.    :)

And Joker, thank you for the time and effort you have put into this shootout / guide...I refer to it almost daily, and link it to anyone who is looking for headphone-purchasing guidance.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4,131 of 4,593
  After purchasing a pair of CAL!s for my desktop PC, I wanted to obtain a portable set of cans as well (CAL!s are way too delicate).  After some searching I discovered the JVC HA-S500, which has received many positive reviews from fellow Head-Fiers;  I liked what I read in their multi-thousand post appreciation thread, so I decided to pull the trigger.  Honestly, I'm not hearing what all of the forum hype is about.

Compared to the CAL!s, the JVC's bass overshadows its mids, and the upper mid-range / lower treble is almost nonexistent.  Sure, the bass hits harder and has a bit more texture than the CAL!s, but the mids are just so veiled...I hope that the burn-in process will bring the mids a few steps forward, else I will use the 5-band equalizer on my Sansa.

I will note that the JVCs are VERY easy to drive...to get to my listening levels, they require roughly half the power that the CAL!s do.

I am no professional audiophile, so the S500s may actually have the more neutral sound signature...but not to my ears, not by far.  That said, I look forward to reading Joker's opinion of the set.    :)

And Joker, thank you for the time and effort you have put into this shootout / guide...I refer to it almost daily, and link it to anyone who is looking for headphone-purchasing guidance.

Unfortunately I've never heard the JVCs but the CAL!s are very special :)

Glad the thread has been helpful!

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #4,134 of 4,593
I own both.  The CAL's sound signature is better in literally every way.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4,136 of 4,593
That one I'm not sure about.  I will note that I have seen a lot of individuals who purchased both the AT M50 ($150 cans) and the CAL! ($60 cans on sale) and returned the M50s.  I haven't seen anything about the Superlux being chosen over the M50s.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #4,137 of 4,593
  ue6000 or mdr1r , i just want some bass , forward mids and sparkling highs .

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4,140 of 4,593
Parts Express Minis may sound horrible, but their headband is perfect for the KSC75 headband mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back