Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #4,111 of 4,593
Same here, if you ever listened to the Aviators, I would really much like your take on them, street price is low enough now that it's in my budget.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #4,112 of 4,593
  Have you guys used the Headrush headphones? I currently own these, they sound fairly good to me but I'm not an very informed on audio so I wont comment on that but they are pretty comfortable and cheap, I wear them for hours every day. 

www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Full+Size+Headphones&product=8003762

Never heard of this brand.

hey joker , i need some help , can you help me chose between srh440 , skullcandy aviator and ath-pro500 mk2 , all i need is the best sq between these 3 .

That would be hard considering of the three I've only heard the Aviator, and didn't particularly like it. I would say go for one of the other two 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #4,113 of 4,593

Never heard of this brand.

That would be hard considering of the three I've only heard the Aviator, and didn't particularly like it. I would say go for one of the other two 
wink.gif

i hope you will do the ath-pro500 mk2 one day , im kind of sold , they look as robust as me .

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #4,114 of 4,593
Hi, Joker.

Have you listened to the sennheiser amperiors? I know you haven't done an official review but I want to know the differences with the HD25-1 II. It seems like a remake of them. They're currently cheaper on amazon so I was wondering how they compared against each other. If you haven't heard them, can anyone else who has help me?

Also, the DT1350's are $200 right now on Amazon. I know in your review you valued at 8/10 but with the new price point, would that value go up? If so, how would you rate it?

EDIT: Also, are the Sennheiser HD25-1 II still your primary portables? It seems in your review you slightly gave the advantage to the DT1350's, why not use them as your primary portable?

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #4,116 of 4,593
wink.gif

Having heard all three, I might lean towards the Aviator actually.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #4,118 of 4,593
Sep 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #4,119 of 4,593
  Hi, Joker.

Have you listened to the sennheiser amperiors? I know you haven't done an official review but I want to know the differences with the HD25-1 II. It seems like a remake of them. They're currently cheaper on amazon so I was wondering how they compared against each other. If you haven't heard them, can anyone else who has help me?

Also, the DT1350's are $200 right now on Amazon. I know in your review you valued at 8/10 but with the new price point, would that value go up? If so, how would you rate it?

EDIT: Also, are the Sennheiser HD25-1 II still your primary portables? It seems in your review you slightly gave the advantage to the DT1350's, why not use them as your primary portable?

I have not heard the Amperiors. I don't have the DT1350 - the unit I reviewed was a loan from a fellow head-fier. I typically use the HD25 or V-Moda M-80 when I need a portable headphone. I personally wouldn't choose the DT1350 over the HD25 anyway - the HD25 is more my sound signature.

I don't know about the value. 8.5 or 9 maybe. Don't get too hung up on the numbers - just make sure whatever you get matches the type of sound you like 
beerchug.gif

Having heard all three, I might lean towards the Aviator actually.

That doesn't say much for the others 
size]
. I have the Navigator now and it also sounds pretty mediocre to me. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #4,120 of 4,593
The Shure 440 is ok, but I would put the Sony V6 ahead of it in nearly every category. Sometimes the V6 has a tizzy treble (some do, some don't, I think it varies heavily on the pad), but the bass extension is better than the SRH440.

The Pro500mk2 I only heard very briefly. It was okay, not as bassy as the Pro700mk2. Similar relationship like the 440 has with the 840. I might choose the Pro500 over the 440, but I'd still pick the V6 over both.

The Aviator is okay, kinda hollow in the midrange, loose in the bass, but I found the overall sound very easy going and the treble is turned down. The technical chops aren't there, but it's a fun relaxed sound which is pleasing to my ear if I'm not doing critical listening. Isolation is laughably bad though. Construction/durability is also the least of everything mentioned so far. It's not bad really, but the others are definitely more durable.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #4,121 of 4,593
The amperior is better than the HD25, but not by much. The sound is really quite similar except there's more of a midbass hump which warms everything up. The bigger difference is in the pads and the slightly narrower headband, which for me feel better (but I have a funny shaped head) and thus affects my enjoyment of music. Comfort is highly dependent on the person though. Those with a larger/rounder face would probably prefer the regular HD25 headband.

The Amperior is lower impedance than the HD25, so it gets louder more easily, but it's also more sensitive to amps with higher output impedance.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #4,122 of 4,593
So Joker, maybe you can describe the Aviator sound signature a little bit?
And isolation is also important to me, using your rating as reference, what score will the Aviator get in sound isolation?

My favorite IEM is the FXT90, does the sig match the Aviator's?

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #4,123 of 4,593
  So Joker, maybe you can describe the Aviator sound signature a little bit?
And isolation is also important to me, using your rating as reference, what score will the Aviator get in sound isolation?

My favorite IEM is the FXT90, does the sig match the Aviator's?

Sorry, I only heard it briefly next to the Mix Master. All I can say is that the Mix Master (reviewed in this thread) sounded better to me - clearer, better bandwidth, tighter bass, etc. So the aviator wouldn't score even as well as the Mix Master on my scale. The Navigator I have now also sounds a little boomy in the bass region and lacks treble energy.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #4,124 of 4,593

Sorry, I only heard it briefly next to the Mix Master. All I can say is that the Mix Master (reviewed in this thread) sounded better to me - clearer, better bandwidth, tighter bass, etc. So the aviator wouldn't score even as well as the Mix Master on my scale. The Navigator I have now also sounds a little boomy in the bass region and lacks treble energy.

lacking treble means its dead to me .

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #4,125 of 4,593
Added Denon DN-HP1000. Been sitting on this one for a while but since this thread has already been bumped might as well add it. 

Quote:

(A22) Denon DN-HP1000: Flagship DJ headphone from Denon, priced to compete with DJ heavy hitters such as the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and Pioneer HDJ-1000

Build Quality (8.5/10): Built like a typical DJ headphone, the HP1000 is made mostly out of hard and heavy plastic with the exception of the grilles, which are metal inserts. The outside of the earcups is rubberized. Like most DJ headphones in its price range, the HP1000 is both flat-folding and collapsible and comes with a long and thick coiled cord. The construction feels solid and should be nearly bulletproof in consumer applications but fails to match the ATH-M50 and some of the pricier DJ headphones out there in fit and finish.

Comfort (8/10): The Denons clamp very lightly but stay on securely due to their weight and circumaural fit. Padding on the headband is mediocre and doesn’t provide the long-term comfort of other DJ headphones. The earcup pads also feel a bit flat compared to those of the M50, bottoming out on my ears. Fortunately the low clamping force prevents this from severely diminishing comfort and also stops the HP1000 from becoming overly sweaty during lengthy listening sessions.

Isolation (7/10): Isolation is decent but not great for a large circumaural DJ headphone due to the stiff pads and low clamping force. They will tone down some outside noise but I wouldn’t use them on a plane. Leakage is minimal.

Sound (7.75/10): Expecting an upgrade to the rather well-balanced and extremely clear-sounding DN-HP700 model, I was surprised to find a rather bass-heavy and oftentimes muddy headphone in the DN-HP1000. The bass of the HP1000 is boosted and can become boomy and overbearing on some recordings. Worse than that, it lacks the resolution necessary for proper detailing and sounds loose and unrefined in comparison to similarly-priced sets such as the Audio-Technica M50 and Ultrasone HFI-780. The cheaper DN-HP700 model has lower bass quantity and much better control for a tighter, cleaner low end. Bassheads will be better served by Denon’s consumer-oriented D1100 model, which has similar bass depth but greater impact than the HP1000 and boasts a warmer tonal character.

The midrange of the HP1000 offers up good clarity and detail levels to match the lower-end HP700 model, but only when the bass stays out of the way. Bass bleed is minimized by the forwardness of the midrange - the Ultrasone HFI-780, for example, has tighter, more accurate bass and cleaner, more resolving mids but sounds rather mid-recessed in comparison to the HP1000. The upper mids remain reasonably smooth but don’t lose presence as those of the Ultrasone HFI-450 and Hercules G501 do. Treble extension is average but the top end is crisp without sounding grainy. Treble quantity lags slightly behind the HFI-780 and Sennheiser HD25, allowing the HP1000 to be a touch more forgiving of sibilance as a result. Soundstaging is above average, making the supraaural Sennheiser HD25-1 sound congested and severely lacking in depth in comparison. The muddy bass doesn’t do the HP1000 any favors but overall the presentation is dynamic enough to get by.  

Value (6.5/10). (MSRP: $199.99; Street Price: $159) The DN-HP1000 retains the slightly sub-par ergonomics of the lower-end DN-HP700 model and manages to lose a chunk of the audio quality of the cheaper headphone. The bass is the biggest transgressor, sounding noticeably boomy and uncontrolled. Those looking for heavy bass will want to consider Denon’s consumer-oriented D1100 model in place of the HP1000. For everyone else, the cheaper and more accurate HP700 retains my recommendation.

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response: 5-33,000 Hz
Impedance: 36 Ω
Sensitivity: 105 dB SPL/1mW
Cord: 3.91ft (1.2m) single-sided, coiled; Straight Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism: Flat-folding, collapsible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back