Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jun 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4,066 of 4,593
Quote:
No, I haven't. I was told that one would be shipped to me but it never materialized. 

That's a shame, would've been great to see a comparison to the highly praised M-80, thanks anyway!

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #4,067 of 4,593
Quote:
No, I haven't. I was told that one would be shipped to me but it never materialized. 

Were you supposed to get them from a user or a demo unit from V-Moda?

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4,068 of 4,593
Quote:

Were you supposed to get them from a user or a demo unit from V-Moda?

V-Moda. No biggie, though - I got busy with the IEM thread soon after. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #4,069 of 4,593
Quote:
Same here ^^

Hope you get a pair, would love to see how they compare in your opinion to the M-80, ES10, M50 etc.

I haven't heard the ES10, but between the M80, M-100, ESW9a and M50... I would pick in this order: M80, ESW9a, M50, M-100

The only thing I liked about the M100 was the build quality. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #4,070 of 4,593
Wow, M50 over M-100? How come? I love the M-80 but I wish it had a bit more sparkle up top at times.

Hope you get to try the ES10. If it had better isolation I would've kept those. Maybe I'll pick them up again with a different set of pads that helps more with isolation. Very fast-sounding, very dynamic and detailed and punchy, impactful and deep bass. Highs are nice and crispy. Mids are slightly laidback but I wouldn't call them recessed. Overall it's very smiley-shaped.

BTW, have you been able to try the Momentum, Yamaha PRO 500, or the 1R?

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4,071 of 4,593
There was just something odd in the M-100 that bugged me. Good bass, but that's about it. The midrange felt kinda hollow to me, and there was something fuzzy in the top end too which I also feel from the M80 but it's more pronounced with the M-100. 

I haven't tried the Yamaha or Sony yet. I did try out a Momentum at a store display... it was fairly comfortable, but for the life of me I couldn't get a good fit/seal so couldn't really get a listen out of it.

I'm still curious to try the ESW10, though with a self-imposed lock on my wallet (yeah yeah, I know) I can only try and trade for it. I think I'm more curious to try a Philips Fidelio can at this point in time.

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #4,072 of 4,593
Quote:

I haven't heard the ES10, but between the M80, M-100, ESW9a and M50... I would pick in this order: M80, ESW9a, M50, M-100

The only thing I liked about the M100 was the build quality. 

Wow, that's surprising. I love my M-80 (though I also prefer more sparkle). Personally, I expected the M-100 to more of the same (M-80, that is) since the on-ear got such positive reviews. 

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #4,073 of 4,593
I was too, and I went in with a bias of expecting to like it 
size]
 Still, everyone hears things differently, ymmv, etc etc

I'm still wondering if I can transplant some T50rp drivers into the M-100... 

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,074 of 4,593
Quote:

Wow, that's surprising. I love my M-80 (though I also prefer more sparkle). Personally, I expected the M-100 to more of the same (M-80, that is) since the on-ear got such positive reviews. 

The M-100 has more of a dramatic V shaped curve. The mids aren't very recessed but they still are. The bass is more exaggerated than on the M-80s and the treble is the same. It is definitely a "Fun" sound signature.

It isn't perfect and needs EQ to suit all my needs, but it is thus far the best portable circumaural that I've come across. 

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,075 of 4,593
Should I go for ATH-M30 or Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones? I listen mostly to Piano renditions, rock, and pop-punk? I would use it for my walks to Uni and on long flights. I don't mind other headphones =) preferably less than 100 USD =)

Thank you for the help! Love this forum for all the expertise here!

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #4,076 of 4,593
Quote:
Should I go for ATH-M30 or Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones? I listen mostly to Piano renditions, rock, and pop-punk? I would use it for my walks to Uni and on long flights. I don't mind other headphones =) preferably less than 100 USD =)

Thank you for the help! Love this forum for all the expertise here!

Wouldn't you want something with a bit more isolation for flights? You can't enjoy the CAL! on a plane - I've tried. The M30 is better but I would probably go for at least a Sony MDR-V6. It's not super well-isolating but at least it'll be usable on a plane. It still sounds good and is usable on the move, as long as you don't mind the long cord (which the ATH-M30 also has). 

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #4,077 of 4,593
Quote:
Wouldn't you want something with a bit more isolation for flights? You can't enjoy the CAL! on a plane - I've tried. The M30 is better but I would probably go for at least a Sony MDR-V6. It's not super well-isolating but at least it'll be usable on a plane. It still sounds good and is usable on the move, as long as you don't mind the long cord (which the ATH-M30 also has). 

You are right. I think I will scrap the flight requirement, I only fly twice a year on long-haul flights, but walk to UNI 3/4 times a week which is 3 km from my house. I think that aspect is more important. What do you think I should go for?
Thank you.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #4,078 of 4,593
Quote:
You are right. I think I will scrap the flight requirement, I only fly twice a year on long-haul flights, but walk to UNI 3/4 times a week which is 3 km from my house. I think that aspect is more important. What do you think I should go for?
Thank you.

I would go for the CAL! then if you don't mind its size. 

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #4,079 of 4,593
Quote:
I would go for the CAL! then if you don't mind its size. 

Thanks, have also been looking at the px200 as they can easily be stored in a backpack, what do you think about them and a big price creep, the Sennheiser Amperior are sold here for 190 USD on a specials, really thinking about them! Any advice, sorry for changing things.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #4,080 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks, have also been looking at the px200 as they can easily be stored in a backpack, what do you think about them and a big price creep, the Sennheiser Amperior are sold here for 190 USD on a specials, really thinking about them! Any advice, sorry for changing things.

I don't think the PX200 sounds as good as the CAL! but if you want something that's convenient to store there's no beating it. Great small headphone. 

The Amperior doesn't fold but it's sturdy enough to just throw in a backpack (which I wouldn't recommend doing with the CAL!). As to whether it's worth it to you to spend that much more money, I can't answer that. Should be a great headphone if you don't mind the slightly v-shaped signature (going off what my older HD25-1 II sounds like).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back