Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
May 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4,051 of 4,593
Do you think you will ever review the HA-S500s? They are very well regarded, and I would love to see how they stack up in your books.

Edit: I'm useless and never use the search button. Sorry about that!

May 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #4,052 of 4,593
Quote:
Time for a new headphone buy. :p

I'm torn between DT 1350 and M80 from V-Moda. The street price of DT 1350 is currently $199 (100 bucks below the suggested). M80 on the other hand is only $130. This is Amazon's price btw. My question is do you think the difference in price is worth it for me to go straight with Beyer rather than M80? Would you say 1350 is convincingly more referenced-sounding than M-80? If not, then I might go with M80 first, then (very) later on 1350. If yes, then I'd rather save more and wait more, to get DT 1350. Although I heard that the units from Beyer DT1350 can sound very different from each other. Any thoughts on that? 

I can afford an amp too if needed, but is DT 1350 good sounding enough if I plug them straight into my iPod? Or does it lose some edge over M80 if to be used w/o an amp?

If it helps, my best sounding portable cans right now are ATH-M50 and ESW9.

I just got the M80 from Amazon as well, $185 shiped to Mexico, to be honest I kinda regret my purchase, for one they are kinda unconfortable, the band is too small and I have a small head (per hat size) they sound nice, but to my ears my IEMs like Brainwavz B2 sound better, they are well made and all though.

May 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,054 of 4,593
Please add the M100 and Momentum if possible!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #4,055 of 4,593
Just an excellent series reviewing so many HPs. Thank you for your time and efforts all of you. I'm cruising for the PX200ii or the HD25-ii....depending on how rich I feel at the time of purchase. Thank you again.  alejandro

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #4,056 of 4,593
Joker, can you think of any portable on-ear headphones that may compliment my GR07 BE, nicely? I also own (and love) the Fidelio X1 if that helps.

My only gripes are that it must isolate fairly well and have a detachable cable. I liked the Amperior a lot but was looking for more of a full sound rather than a U-shape sound. It was also a bit too congested for my taste.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #4,057 of 4,593
Ran out of time in terms of adding stuff to this thread. I'll try to make some time next month.

Quote:
Just an excellent series reviewing so many HPs. Thank you for your time and efforts all of you. I'm cruising for the PX200ii or the HD25-ii....depending on how rich I feel at the time of purchase. Thank you again.  alejandro

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Joker, can you think of any portable on-ear headphones that may compliment my GR07 BE, nicely? I also own (and love) the Fidelio X1 if that helps.

My only gripes are that it must isolate fairly well and have a detachable cable. I liked the Amperior a lot but was looking for more of a full sound rather than a U-shape sound. It was also a bit too congested for my taste.

DT1350? It's the only set that really isolates as well as the HD25 (that I've heard) and it has a less U-shaped sound. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4,058 of 4,593
Hi Joker,

Really struggling choosing a headset. Reason...not enough reviews from you on headphones.

Alot of the very popular headphones right now aren't reviewed by you. Really miss that,.

For example the JVC HA S400/HA S500, one of the chinese headphones like the Somic 493 or Takstar Pro 80 or the FA004/HM5.

These seems to be highly touted headphones right now, available for a great price.With loads of reviews...so why am i asking you for another review?
because I have read alot of your reviews and a i have a good idea how you rate and more importantly describe the headphones.

Anyway hope you can review these too give me a good idea about these headphones.

Jun 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #4,059 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker,

Really struggling choosing a headset. Reason...not enough reviews from you on headphones.

Alot of the very popular headphones right now aren't reviewed by you. Really miss that,.

For example the JVC HA S400/HA S500, one of the chinese headphones like the Somic 493 or Takstar Pro 80 or the FA004/HM5.

These seems to be highly touted headphones right now, available for a great price.With loads of reviews...so why am i asking you for another review?
because I have read alot of your reviews and a i have a good idea how you rate and more importantly describe the headphones.

Anyway hope you can review these too give me a good idea about these headphones.

Truthfully, there is not enough hours in the day to cover everything that's out there. I've been focusing on keeping the IEM thread up to date and even on that front I'm not doing too well. I just do the reviews here and over at InnerFidelity in my spare time, which I have less and less of these days.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4,060 of 4,593
hi, i need some headphones for my sansa clip+. I use glasses so i need them to be full size.
i will mainly use them at home and noisy library ( so need decent isolation )

I listen :
Punk rock ( bad religion, rise against, nofx, ramones, etc)
Rock (acdc, led zeppeli )
Reggea (bob)
Ska punk (ska-p)

I can only buy trough amazon, i was thinking on buying the sony mdr-v6.
Is there smthg better or smthg that suits me better in that price range (up to 85dlls) ?

ps: should i get a cheap portable amp in the future ? 

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #4,061 of 4,593
Quote:
For those genres I would go for the CAL!. It might not be open like the Koss and Grado but it has a good soundstage and will sound nice and rich with your music. 

Hi,

I got the CAL today, the best under $100 headphones I've heard - I have listen to Sennheiser, Akg, Koss and Grado. I prefer the CAL over the Grado 60i, yes the Grado detail and clarity jump out however the CAL sounds more balanced tonally and natural and still very detailed. It has that nice warm/rich musical natural sounding midband, has enough sparkle up top without been harsh and fairly solid bass. I am impressed with the detail to - hear the brushes on the drums, hihats, the twang of the guitars etc.

I even had a listen to a pair of $150 Sony's but prefered the CAL. Yes it has weaknesses, not the tightest bass, however I think I like the fullness of the bass and its still detailed. It probably still needs burning in, only 5 hours thus far. I am a happy lad . :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers

Steve.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4,062 of 4,593
Quote:
hi, i need some headphones for my sansa clip+. I use glasses so i need them to be full size.
i will mainly use them at home and noisy library ( so need decent isolation )

I listen :
Punk rock ( bad religion, rise against, nofx, ramones, etc)
Rock (acdc, led zeppeli )
Reggea (bob)
Ska punk (ska-p)

I can only buy trough amazon, i was thinking on buying the sony mdr-v6.
Is there smthg better or smthg that suits me better in that price range (up to 85dlls) ?

ps: should i get a cheap portable amp in the future ? 

The V6 would be good for the library, unless you want to spend more. It doesn't really need an amp.

Quote:
Hi,

I got the CAL today, the best under $100 headphones I've heard - I have listen to Sennheiser, Akg, Koss and Grado. I prefer the CAL over the Grado 60i, yes the Grado detail and clarity jump out however the CAL sounds more balanced tonally and natural and still very detailed. It has that nice warm/rich musical natural sounding midband, has enough sparkle up top without been harsh and fairly solid bass. I am impressed with the detail to - hear the brushes on the drums, hihats, the twang of the guitars etc.

I even had a listen to a pair of $150 Sony's but prefered the CAL. Yes it has weaknesses, not the tightest bass, however I think I like the fullness of the bass and its still detailed. It probably still needs burning in, only 5 hours thus far. I am a happy lad . :)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers

Steve.

Glad to hear you like them!

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #4,063 of 4,593
Joker, forgive me if this has been asked before, but have you got the chance to hear the V-Moda M-100? What's your opinion of them compared to the M-80?

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #4,064 of 4,593
Quote:
Joker, forgive me if this has been asked before, but have you got the chance to hear the V-Moda M-100? What's your opinion of them compared to the M-80?

No, I haven't. I was told that one would be shipped to me but it never materialized. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back