Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Nov 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,586 of 4,593
I've been doing some research on the net on what portable headphones to buy, and this is the best article I found! Congratulations.

My question: my music source will be a last generation Ipod Classic..

Which of the following headphones would be recommended for use WITHOUT an amplifier? 

Sennheiser H25
Audio Technica ATH-M50
V-Moda M-80

(specially regarding the ATH-M50. Many say you need and amp, many see you don't)

Thanks for your replies!!!!

Daniel

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,587 of 4,593
HD25
M80
Add the Beyerdynamic T50p to your list if you don't mind getting a used one.  Excellent headphone.
No idea about the M50.  I see people amping it in photos, some people not amping it.

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #3,588 of 4,593
Quote:
I've been doing some research on the net on what portable headphones to buy, and this is the best article I found! Congratulations.

My question: my music source will be a last generation Ipod Classic..

Which of the following headphones would be recommended for use WITHOUT an amplifier? 

Sennheiser H25
Audio Technica ATH-M50
V-Moda M-80

(specially regarding the ATH-M50. Many say you need and amp, many see you don't)

Thanks for your replies!!!!

Daniel

Strictly speaking I don't think any of them require an amp. In my experience the M-80 is the easiest to drive while the M50 improves the most with amplification but still sounds good straight from a portable player. The iPod classic has plenty of driving power, too. I would pick based on form factor and sound signature, not the limitations of the iPod classic. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,589 of 4,593
Quote:
HD25
M80
Add the Beyerdynamic T50p to your list if you don't mind getting a used one.  Excellent headphone.
No idea about the M50.  I see people amping it in photos, some people not amping it.

Hi,

just got M-80s last month. Really good, and you're in luck cause i've tried them on a friends ipod Classic and they sound much better than my laptop. If you can, then you should test them out at a store before you get them. My only complaint was that during the first week of usage, they were a bit painful after 4-6 hours of use. But now i can wear them for more than half a day.

regards

CyborgKommandant

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #3,590 of 4,593
Edit: derp

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3,594 of 4,593
Hi Joker,

I bought the Panasonics HTF-600 after reading your review and other threads here on head-fi. It's a really great headphone with strong bass and still have great clarity and good soundstage. If I were to buy the ath-m50, would that be a worthwile upgrade? It's 4 times the price of the Pana's in Europe. What would you say about the bass, mids, treble and soundstage compared to the HTF-600's? Is it a significant upgrade in sound for the price?

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3,595 of 4,593
Quote:
How so? My impression was that they were designed to be portable headphones..

Maybe he's concerned that they do not fold up.  They are quite comfortable when simply left around the neck, more than HD25 at that.  They even take up a bit less space than HD25 without their case.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #3,596 of 4,593
Yeah the cups are smaller than the HD25-1 II's, even the headband is slimmer. I don't think you'd gain much (as far as space saving) from being able to rotate the cups, they aren't very wide. If they were collapsible like the larger M-100 you'd obviously gain some space back, but even as they are I think they're perfectly portable with or without case; they're tough enough you can throw them in something like a laptop bag without much care.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3,597 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi Joker,

I bought the Panasonics HTF-600 after reading your review and other threads here on head-fi. It's a really great headphone with strong bass and still have great clarity and good soundstage. If I were to buy the ath-m50, would that be a worthwile upgrade? It's 4 times the price of the Pana's in Europe. What would you say about the bass, mids, treble and soundstage compared to the HTF-600's? Is it a significant upgrade in sound for the price?

Thanks.

Really depends on what you are looking to see improved over the HTF600. The biggest difference would be isolation.

Sound-wise the M50 is a little clearer, the bass is deeper, and the treble is a bit less grainy but don't expect huge gains in areas like impact and soundstaging - the HTF600 is already punchy and spacious and has the advantage of being semi-open in design.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #3,598 of 4,593
Well, with the case and all, the M80 seems a little bit bulky (at least for my laptop bag).
And being 50, I'm not about to go around an airport, with the headphones on my neck
(for that, I would get a pair of Beats...........)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back