Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 27, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2,387 of 4,593
Looking For Around $20 Earbuds. Please Help!

I'm looking for a neutral sound, some-what noise canceling, decent bass, and I'm going to be using the Sansa Clip+ with it.

I found this on Amazon....good buy?

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #2,388 of 4,593

Quote:
Looking For Around $20 Earbuds. Please Help!

I'm looking for a neutral sound, some-what noise canceling, decent bass, and I'm going to be using the Sansa Clip+ with it.

I found this on Amazon....good buy?

Right person wrong thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-197-iems-compared-bowers-wilkins-c5-atrio-mg7-added-9-24-11

That should help you decide. The one you ask about is apparently a good buy, gaining a 7.5 rating in value from ljokerl, but there are better for around the same price. Read his reviews, especially on the sound, and try to find one that you think will suit your sound preferences.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,389 of 4,593
The idea of upgrading my M50 has started creeping into my mind as my FA-011 and VSonic GR07 seems to have left them somewhat behind. What would be a good upgrade from the M50 for on the go that are still portable and preferably foldable (not a must though)? So far I've considered the HD25-1, Pro 900 and DT1350 but it doesn't have to be any of those.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2,390 of 4,593
Thanks joker, your thread convinced me to purchase the HD25 when it was on sale for $130 (I got the last one too :D).

So glad I did. It sounds absolutely amazing. I don't notice any sibilance or harshness in the upper regions actually.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #2,391 of 4,593

Quote:
Thanks joker, your thread convinced me to purchase the HD25 when it was on sale for $130 (I got the last one too :D).

So glad I did. It sounds absolutely amazing. I don't notice any sibilance or harshness in the upper regions actually.

Another happy HD25 owner thanks to Joker, we should make a clan or something like "Joker helped me to find the HD25"

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #2,392 of 4,593

Quote:

Good deal 
wink.gif
. As for sibilance and harshness, the HD25 is mild enough to be a slight issue for some and completely pleasant for others. There are many variables such as personal tolerance & hearing curve, fit, source/amp synergies, source material, and so forth. I find some headphones and IEMs to be violently sibilant but the HD25 I can use for hours on end.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #2,393 of 4,593

Quote:

Good deal 
wink.gif
. As for sibilance and harshness, the HD25 is mild enough to be a slight issue for some and completely pleasant for others. There are many variables such as personal tolerance & hearing curve, fit, source/amp synergies, source material, and so forth. I find some headphones and IEMs to be violently sibilant but the HD25 I can use for hours on end.

It's funny though, I'm usually really sensitive to sibilance. The EX600 had sibilance that pierced the heavens. I notice sibilance with my MC5s, SRH440s, and HD600s. Even with the SE215, despite literally having no treble whatsoever, sounded sibilant with some tracks that the HD25 makes love to.

With the HD25s, unless I'm looking for it, I can't hear any sibilance. Amazing :)

I must say I'm not a fan of how it looks, though all is forgiven when they start pumping sweet music to my ears.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,394 of 4,593
I can hear two primary treble peaks in the HD25-1-ii, but the valley in between them isn't as deep which I think actually makes them less sibilant. As an interesting comparison, the HD25-13-ii (the 600 ohm version) notches down the peaks so it doesn't quite have the same sparkle but I find it does have better clarity.

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #2,396 of 4,593

Quote:
Thread Starter, could you give me a quick a dirty rating of the JVC HARX700 if you've ever tried them? As detailed in this post I'm trying to look for a pair of headphones and it's one of the options I'm considering.

It's been years since I've heard an RX700. I remember this question being asked a long time ago and I estimated a sound score of ~7/10 for it back then, but I couldn't give you the justification for that now. It was not included in this thread because it is not the least bit portable. Very big, long cable, ridiculous-looking, etc.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,397 of 4,593
'Spent the last few days reading through (parts of!) this thread, as part of my mission to convince myself not to by a pair of Beats Solo HDs, because I know that if I bought them, there will be a day in the future where I stop thinking "The sound of this bass is slightly erotic" and think "Wasn't there some treble on this track?" or maybe just "oh great, they broke".

So, I'm trying to find a pair that have a low profile like the small beats headphones, and have the capability to put out bass that will make me feel slightly happier inside, but I don't want to loose too much in the mids or trebles. I was looking at the Sennheiser 25-1 ii for a while, due to how well made they are supposed to be and the sound quality and range (so I could use them at home for producing music as well as taking them out). I then looked at the Phiaton MS400s and in the review you make the Senns sound a bit weak in the bass department.

Does anything spring to mind that might stop me from giving Dr Dre any more money?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer :)

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,398 of 4,593
The HD25 is a great headphone, super durable, nice strong punchy bass and highs. The MS400 has more bass quantity but not as much impact; it's more of a warm thick sound and is more laid back compared to the HD25. I would not use either of them for producing, as you generally want a more neutral headphone for that (and most people would feel "neutral" is too light on the bass). I honestly thought the Solo HD was one of the worst headphones I had ever heard. 

Another budget option for a small supraaural with strong bass would be the AKG K81/518. They clamp a bit tight, but stretching will help alleviate this. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2,399 of 4,593

Quote:
So, I'm trying to find a pair that have a low profile like the small beats headphones, and have the capability to put out bass that will make me feel slightly happier inside, but I don't want to loose too much in the mids or trebles. I was looking at the Sennheiser 25-1 ii for a while, due to how well made they are supposed to be and the sound quality and range (so I could use them at home for producing music as well as taking them out). I then looked at the Phiaton MS400s and in the review you make the Senns sound a bit weak in the bass department.

I tried not to give off the impression that the HD25 lacks bass - it really doesn't. Plus, the bass of the Solos isn't that impressive either. I agree with how Armaegis splits up their bass - definitely more body for the MS400 but not necessarily more impact than the HD25. You can get more bass out of a small portable - with the Klipsch Image One, for example - but the overall sound quality won't be as good.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,400 of 4,593
Ah, man I don't know what I would do without your reviews. It's such a joy just reading them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back