Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Sep 18, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,371 of 4,593

Quote:
Dangit, so i went looking for the Coby set and could only find the "CV215" with silver cups.
In the spirit of the "enjoy the music, not the equipment" thread i decided to get these as a beater can. My M9 gets a 5 on sound quality and they are pretty good to me, same with the KSc75 so for $10 i figured why not? I'm done with IEMs. They had two sets of JVC flats but they were both pink!
redface.gif

I think the CV215 is the same thing but comes with an additional Coby IEM. Depending on how good that is it might be even better value for money than the one I tested. Nothing wrong with budget-fi in my view. I was quite happy with a 1gb sansa clip and a JVC Flats as my work rig for a while at a total cost of $25.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2,372 of 4,593
Ok so i went back, yah i figured they were the same just a different color, lost the IEMs under the seat though
biggrin.gif
oh well didn't need them, i might just go back for the Flats to make a comparison, the Flats do look more portable.

I looked around and can't seem to find anyone modding these cheap closed cans, i was hoping it would be like the KSCs, some new pads are definitely in order. The sound is ok so far, i'm hoping it can grow on me over time and "burn in" some, then i'll hook it up to the CMoy and see what happens
L3000.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2,373 of 4,593
Joker, thanks for your help in the past, still really enjoying the creative's.  Just been looking at a thread proclaiming the wonderous sound coming from a pair of cheap panasonics (htf600's).  As I bow to your wisdom, have you heard these?  Any thoughts? 

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #2,374 of 4,593
Joker, remember this headphone I bought from you 10 months ago? 

I still use it sometimes and still think its awesome, even when I own the HD25 and DT1350 now, the HP700 has quite a sound for the price. I just put some more comfortable pads and the recable was just to  make it more easy to handle as portable, would take it anyday over the M50.

I sincerelly dont know why isnt the HP700 more popular in headfi.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,375 of 4,593
Maybe because the HP1000 (aka Audio Technica Pro700mk2) gets all the love?

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,376 of 4,593
I have no idea why those companies shares the same model 

and the HP1000 is only like $30 more than the HP700... but arent those suppose to be "bass monsters"? the HP700 is more balanced than that though. a basshead would hate it.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2,377 of 4,593
Yeah but a lot of people won't really care about that. They'll just think "only $30 more to get the biggest number, which means it's the best amirite?"

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #2,378 of 4,593
My DT235 came in and i love um
smily_headphones1.gif
They fit very snug around the ears, light, small, thin cord and the SQ is superb! Now i have to think about if i will actually take them outside. Really makes you wonder "just how much better do those expensive headphones sound?"

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #2,379 of 4,593
Quote:
I looked around and can't seem to find anyone modding these cheap closed cans, i was hoping it would be like the KSCs, some new pads are definitely in order. The sound is ok so far, i'm hoping it can grow on me over time and "burn in" some, then i'll hook it up to the CMoy and see what happens 
L3000.gif

I ended up with some flat foam pads form radioshack per jant71's original mod. Good combination.

Quote:
Joker, thanks for your help in the past, still really enjoying the creative's.  Just been looking at a thread proclaiming the wonderous sound coming from a pair of cheap panasonics (htf600's).  As I bow to your wisdom, have you heard these?  Any thoughts? 

Never heard (of) them 

Quote:
Joker, remember this headphone I bought from you 10 months ago? 

I still use it sometimes and still think its awesome, even when I own the HD25 and DT1350 now, the HP700 has quite a sound for the price. I just put some more comfortable pads and the recable was just to  make it more easy to handle as portable, would take it anyday over the M50.

I sincerelly dont know why isnt the HP700 more popular in headfi.

That make two of us. Very underrated set of cans for something so clean and poised. With nicer pads I imagine they'd be nearly perfect. Makes me want to try the HP500 as well.

Quote:
My DT235 came in and i love um
smily_headphones1.gif
They fit very snug around the ears, light, small, thin cord and the SQ is superb! Now i have to think about if i will actually take them outside. Really makes you wonder "just how much better do those expensive headphones sound?"

You forgot rugged
wink.gif
. They are not exactly pretty but if you coil up the cord taking them outside is not a problem. Sadly the only way to quantify how much better pricier models sound is to try them yourself but the DT235 should at least give a good starting point signature-wise.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2,380 of 4,593
I'm trying to figure the best way of tying up the cord, up to now i would just toss it over my back and leave it hanging. Got them to get a taste of the HD-25 which i will get eventually, also a good closed can is needed at times.

I just got to wondering, these are super comfy now as it gets chilly, but during the summer it must be torture to walk around with something like this, so now i'm looking at IEM again, i guess it's a necessary evil
redface.gif
Or another excuse to blow more money on head-fi, heh

I'm gonna look for those flat pads.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #2,381 of 4,593

Quote:
I'm trying to figure the best way of tying up the cord, up to now i would just toss it over my back and leave it hanging. Got them to get a taste of the HD-25 which i will get eventually, also a good closed can is needed at times.

I just got to wondering, these are super comfy now as it gets chilly, but during the summer it must be torture to walk around with something like this, so now i'm looking at IEM again, i guess it's a necessary evil
redface.gif
Or another excuse to blow more money on head-fi, heh

I got a 10-pack of velcro cable ties for about $2.50 from meritline. All of my 5'+ cords get one and then the extra loop of cable goes in my pocket next to my DAP. I've tried all sorts of purpose-made cable winders and they just won't work as well. The cable turtle was okay but it's rubberized so it doesn't go in my pocket too easily.

Nothing wrong with IEMs if you ask me 
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #2,382 of 4,593
I don't remember the name of it, but I saw these plastic dogbone shaped things that looked really handy for wrapping up long cables.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2,383 of 4,593
I'm fairly disappointed with the ZX700's sound. The treble has a sizable spike in one region. I couldn't really pin-point, but lowering the 9kHz and 2kHz bands helped; although, it didn't solve the major issue of sibilance on the Cowon S9. The resolution is pretty low; it's messy while listening to pop music. I agree with the rest of your review about the bass and textured feeling. The bass really opened up after about 16 hours of usage. Sadly, this was a double edged sword as the treble also got much harsher... Any suggestions?

EDIT: Wow... Sony must've designed these things to run out of an iPod. It sounds much better out of my Classic. Sibilance is still present, albeit WAY more minor. Resolution isn't the best, but still decent.

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2,384 of 4,593
Are you planning on reviewing the Sony MDR-570lp at any point in time?  They're fairly popular, as I see a fair number of people wearing them around outside..and the price seems to have recently dropped to around $30 or so at local retailers, which is a pretty good price, I think.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2,385 of 4,593

Quote:
I don't remember the name of it, but I saw these plastic dogbone shaped things that looked really handy for wrapping up long cables.

The dogbone winders work fine for (thin) earbud cords but not so much for thicker headphones cables. 

Quote:
I'm fairly disappointed with the ZX700's sound. The treble has a sizable spike in one region. I couldn't really pin-point, but lowering the 9kHz and 2kHz bands helped; although, it didn't solve the major issue of sibilance on the Cowon S9. The resolution is pretty low; it's messy while listening to pop music. I agree with the rest of your review about the bass and textured feeling. The bass really opened up after about 16 hours of usage. Sadly, this was a double edged sword as the treble also got much harsher... Any suggestions?

I got mine well-used so I have no idea how it evolves with burn-in. I thought the upper midrange was slightly laid-back, maybe with a dip centered on 4k or so. The treble is more emphasized than the upper mids, which might be the 'spike' you're hearing. Try getting rid of the 2k cut and leaving the 9k and maybe a 6k (not sure how good the EQ of the S9 is) cut. Sibilance doesn't occur at 2k anyway.

Quote:
Are you planning on reviewing the Sony MDR-570lp at any point in time?  They're fairly popular, as I see a fair number of people wearing them around outside..and the price seems to have recently dropped to around $30 or so at local retailers, which is a pretty good price, I think.

A bit hesitant to do so after the 770LP. Surprisingly the best cheap Sony portable I've heard so far is the hideous PQ2 'GIIQ'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back