Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jul 3, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #2,191 of 4,593

[size=medium]
After spending money on 4 or 5 different " very good portable" models, around 2 years of trial and error, I finally got decent sound, much thanks to guidance in this forums. I finally went for the Sennheiser 25-1 II. It's sad to see that no really great portable headphones exist, but these are very good; not a consumer design and all plastic but very good sound without being "heaven" as some people say.

I used them with my loosless files (music) and Bithead portable amp. I hope someday soon, one company goes for the great headphones. Thanks for all this guidance.

[/size]

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2,194 of 4,593

Quote:

+1. HD25 very easily driven compared to most of the $100+ DJ cans.

Quote:

[size=medium]
After spending money on 4 or 5 different " very good portable" models, around 2 years of trial and error, I finally got decent sound, much thanks to guidance in this forums. I finally went for the Sennheiser 25-1 II. It's sad to see that no really great portable headphones exist, but these are very good; not a consumer design and all plastic but very good sound without being "heaven" as some people say.

I used them with my loosless files (music) and Bithead portable amp. I hope someday soon, one company goes for the great headphones. Thanks for all this guidance.

[/size]

The Ultrasone Edition series may consist of really great portable cans for all I know 
tongue.gif
. However, after trying the DT1350, I am even more convinced that the HD25-1 is a stellar deal at the regular $160-200 price. Sound is not perfect but it's fun and works out and about. Won't argue about the cosmetic appeal of the plastics but it keeps them ridiculously lightweight and mine's not showing a single sign of wear after ~2 years.

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #2,197 of 4,593

Quote:
The Ultrasone Edition series may consist of really great portable cans for all I know 
tongue.gif
. However, after trying the DT1350, I am even more convinced that the HD25-1 is a stellar deal at the regular $160-200 price. Sound is not perfect but it's fun and works out and about. Won't argue about the cosmetic appeal of the plastics but it keeps them ridiculously lightweight and mine's not showing a single sign of wear after ~2 years.  

That's too bad. I really hoped the DT1350 would be the start of the truely great portable cans. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be impressed with the sound of the Edition 8 btw. From what I heard/read about them.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #2,198 of 4,593
Someone loan Joker a PX 360
biggrin.gif
!

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2,199 of 4,593
what constitutes portable?  

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #2,200 of 4,593

Quote:
what constitutes portable?  

From the first post:

Requirements:

Though I do not claim that every headphone in this thread is something I would want to use portable, there is a set of criteria for inclusion. In order to be considered portable for the purposes of this write-up, a headphone has to be at least one of the following:

1. Supraaural

2. Foldable or Collapsing

3. Equipped with a portable (<5ft, 3.5mm termination) cable

And I agree with Jant! And loan him a Z1000! (they come with a short cord right?) ...and the Shure SRH940 (they fold right?) and PRO900 (if the HFI works the PRO900 must right?)...I'm looking for a transportable headphone around $350...

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,201 of 4,593

Quote:
Could you recommend me any can similar to ck10, joker?

Similar is a relative term as there are just too many things going into the overall sound of a headphone. In terms of signature, sticking with audio-technica would probably be best, at least towards the low end of things. SQ5 and EM7GM both have that characteristic sound. Moving up, Superlux HD668B or HD25-1. They differ from the CK10 but won't be offensive in terms of signature if you like the CK10.

Quote:
And I agree with Jant! And loan him a Z1000! (they come with a short cord right?) ...and the Shure SRH940 (they fold right?) and PRO900 (if the HFI works the PRO900 must right?)...I'm looking for a transportable headphone around $350...

And a second set of ears, plus more hours in the day

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2,203 of 4,593

Quote:
have you tried the bose ae2's? my friend wants to buy a pair but im trying to convince him otherwise...i suggested the dj 100's

I have not heard the AE2. I own the AE1 and really don't like it. 

The DJ100 is not very consumer-friendly in sound and requires an amp. Something like the Creative Aurvana Live!, Sony ZX700, or Phiaton MS400 would probably be a better option.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,204 of 4,593
oh, well he wouldn't listen to me anyways and bought the bose, i want to buy a better can to compare to him and was really looking at the ath m50, but i was ready to pull the trigger 2 days ago on amazon when they were $114, then the went back up to $146, What!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back