Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 1, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #226 of 1,112
@sledgeharvy

First of all Early Happy Birthday :D

Way you described it was awesome, its always feels happy when someones defines/describes neatly. I agree too way you expressed M2 was if that much, M5 should be taking that extra jump.
Plus M5 is way lesser than AK Jr. Thanks and best wishes again.

Shall look forward to hear your views on M5 first hand along with @Podster

@nmatheis

It isnt scroll wheel i am against, its the Fiio Scroll wheel, it never as such stabalized. If M5's scroll is solid and sturdy compared to Fiio its then perfect. I always felt Fiio was built like a tank and that Scroll felt so delicate that it was its Achilles heel

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #229 of 1,112
Ah. Shanling's scroll wheel feels much sturdier. Cayin's, too. FiiO is the only one to use such a delicate feeling scroll wheel.

I actually think they did a good job improving the wheel on the X3ii
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #230 of 1,112
i felt Fiio's scroll wheel is a little too big.

Fiio' best scroll wheel is on the X3ii. It's been fixed from a software to finally match each scroll click you make. It didn't used to be be that smooth.. The only issue with the M2 is the scroll wheel also acts as a way of scrolling through menus by directions (up down forwards and back.) therefore, you can make accidental clicks. However, I experienced a similar issue with the center click button on the Fiio X5ii, due to how loose it was.. I couldn't stand it, so I returned it.. It sounded good though ..

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #232 of 1,112
Here's a little inspirational shot for those looking at the M5, this is a beautiful DAP and this combo is exquisite
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #233 of 1,112
So I'm at the point of pulling the trigger on a DAP and can't decide if the Opus#1 is worth the extra $100 or not.  Anyone have the chance to listen to both that and the M5?

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #234 of 1,112
I already know that the Shanling M2 is a fantastic player, which is their "Entry" level player, so if the M5 is even better than it, it should be more than perfect. Mine is due on my doorstep by 1:30-4:30pm tomorrow!! I'm so excited!! Even though, I told myself I would not open it until June 21. So I can be truly happy for my Birthday day. I have other players to hold me over, but still, makes you giddy just thinking about it!!

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #235 of 1,112
I already know that the Shanling M2 is a fantastic player, which is their "Entry" level player, so if the M5 is even better than it, it should be more than perfect. Mine is due on my doorstep by 1:30-4:30pm tomorrow!! I'm so excited!! Even though, I told myself I would not open it until June 21. So I can be truly happy for my Birthday day. I have other players to hold me over, but still, makes you giddy just thinking about it!!

Composure Sledge, composure now
eek.gif
I love my M2 and I can tell you right now you will absolutely love your new Birthday present. The loaner I have is in the silver and I actually think I like it more than the black
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #236 of 1,112
Composure Sledge, composure now:eek: I love my M2 and I can tell you right now you will absolutely love your new Birthday present. The tour model I have is in the silver and I actually think I like it more than the black:tongue_smile:

Yeah, I'll be fine.. I'll be happy to just know it's finally in my possession. I am a little sad that the M2, DX80 will probably collect dust.. Lol.. Well.. The wife can always inherit the M2, she DX80 is "Too masculine " for her.. I will compare the three eventually. Try and do a nice review. Which I'm honestly surprised there isn't one yet on it. Cough cough Nick/Podster Lol..

Jun 6, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #237 of 1,112
Yeah, I'll be fine.. I'll be happy to just know it's finally in my possession. I am a little sad that the M2, DX80 will probably collect dust.. Lol.. Well.. The wife can always inherit the M2, she DX80 is "Too masculine " for her.. I will compare the three eventually. Try and do a nice review. Which I'm honestly surprised there isn't one yet on it. Cough cough Nick/Podster Lol..

If I didn't feel overwhelmed at work, I'd have done a formal review already sledgeharvy. I'm hoping answering questions and just saying how much I love it will help because it is a fine, fine DAP. And I do think M2 and M5 are very complimentary sounds as my man Podster is finding out.
:beerchug:

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #238 of 1,112
If I didn't feel overwhelmed at work, I'd have done a formal review already sledgeharvy. I'm hoping answering questions and just saying how much I love it will help because it is a fine, fine DAP. And I do think M2 and M5 are very complimentary sounds as my man Podster is finding out.

I know you have definitely done the Video review. I meant of you go to the product reviews. It's fine, it wasn't supposed to be taken as an insult. Just sad that there are so many reviews on the Fiio products, and so few of any of the Shanlings. I remember back in December, When I first read your review and introduction to the M2, I was amazed at the internals of it, and the design of it.. Being a lefty, I actually thought the design was beneficial so I could still drive with my left hand and control the M2 with my right hand.

I greatly appreciate the work you've done to promote the Shanling family daps. I for one am a huge fan. Well.. If it isn't apparent.. Lol.. I will post my review of the M5 after I get a good comparison and words together for it. It will be very interesting to see how it compares as a flagship, considering I already hold their M2 in high regards.

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #239 of 1,112
Please excuse me for the slight detour to this thread but I just wanted a bit of input if possible.

I originally had my eye on the astell & Kern AK jr but I have come around to feeling like this Shanling M5 is the dap I want to go with....mind you my 1st dap.
Im looking to mainly pair this with IEM's, specifically the CA Novas.
The only real thing that's holding me back is the new audioquest dragonfly. Now that they play with smartphones...this is intriguing to me.

So basically my question is...this dedicated DAP which I'm sure sounds wonderful vs the ease of use and feature set of a phone (streaming, audio and video, using the player I'm used to, touchscreen, wifi etc...) with a DAC that may or may not sound as good....

The price difference doesn't really bother me. And I'll probably be pairing with IEM's 90% of the time.

Any thoughts?

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #240 of 1,112
Please excuse me for the slight detour to this thread but I just wanted a bit of input if possible.

I originally had my eye on the astell & Kern AK jr but I have come around to feeling like this Shanling M5 is the dap I want to go with....mind you my 1st dap.
Im looking to mainly pair this with IEM's, specifically the CA Novas.
The only real thing that's holding me back is the new audioquest dragonfly. Now that they play with smartphones...this is intriguing to me.

So basically my question is...this dedicated DAP which I'm sure sounds wonderful vs the ease of use and feature set of a phone (streaming, audio and video, using the player I'm used to, touchscreen, wifi etc...) with a DAC that may or may not sound as good....

The price difference doesn't really bother me. And I'll probably be pairing with IEM's 90% of the time.

Any thoughts?

A buddy lent me the Dragonfly Red to try out. It sounds good. Full, warm sound. Unfortunately, I sent off the M5 to Podster to try out right before I got the Dragonfly Red in to try out, so I can't directly compare the two.

What I will say is that I sent the Cayin N5 to the guy who loaned me the Dragonfly Red. He compared both and immediately ordered the Cayin N5 and is selling the Dragonfly Red. Personally, I prefer Shanling M5 to Cayin N5, so by completely indirect (and perhaps negligent :p) deduction I concluded for myself that Shanling M5 > Cayin N5 > Dragonfly Red.

Hope that helps some...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back