Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 7, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #242 of 1,113
Haha. So by the power of "negligent" deductive reasoning the M5 is the best bet especially in terms of audio qaulity! Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, but that completely fallible logic only holds (presumptively) true for me. Of course, ymmv highly :wink:

But in all truthfulness, I'm a DAP guy and have found that Shanling M5 just kills it in this price range for me. If you're not a DAP guy and rely heavily on streaming, something like Dragonfly Red might fit your needs better.
:beerchug:

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #243 of 1,113
Yes, but that completely fallible logic only holds (presumptively) true for me. Of course, ymmv highly :wink:

But in all truthfulness, I'm a DAP guy and have found that Shanling M5 just kills it in this price range for me. If you're not a DAP guy and rely heavily on streaming, something like Dragonfly Red might fit your needs better.
:beerchug:

Absolutely, I've only been using it for a few hours.. But oh my god is it amazing!! Channel separation, instrument detail, decay on vocals and strings, no harsh peaks, just feels like it's running on Caramel Creme as a power source.. It's jazzy without bloated, bright without being sibilant. Definitely a step up from the M2. It's noticeable how much better this is.. I would be able to blind test the two apart. There is better dampening behind it all. The M2 primarily let the Mids stand out as the main performer, where the M5 just performs vividly throughout all the spectrum of the auditory heaven. I will be letting it burn-in using the burn in cable I got from the iBasso DX80.. I said I wouldn't open it till June 21, but the Wife convinced me otherwise.. Perhaps I will put it back in the box.. But I had to get a quick initial impressions of it. Absolutely worth the extra money over the M2. The screen is better, more power, the lack of sense of being hollow like the M2 is (in comparison. This M5 is insane!!!

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #245 of 1,113
Glad you're enjoying it sledgeharvy!

I remember listening to it fir the first time and thinking this sounds really good. Then I A/B'ed vs. M2 and was blown away by how much better M2 sounded. So much fuller. Just gorgeous sound!

Absolutely, It's beyond me what Shanling has done here. I figured it would be better due to the internals alone, but to finally hear it and get to hear the two on the same song with pretty much no burn in.. Is insane.. My favorite aspect of the M5 so far is the channel separation. The sound stage is so perfectly defined. It's a natural sound stage as if you were at a concert, the notes don't just stop abruptly, they naturally decay as they would in real life. I can't stop listening. But I have to go to bed to get some rest...

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #251 of 1,113
How does it feel in hand in terms of portability compared to the M2?

About the same only less hollow. Feels like there is more packed inside, but it could be the larger battery. But it's no more cumbersome to use than the M2. Which is a good thing, because I love the M2, and it's more ergonomic than the iBasso DX80. Which the DX80 was my perfect player for ergonomics, not anymore. Sorry DX80 lovers. Lol.. Oh.. By the way, this is coming from a Lefty.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #252 of 1,113
About the same only less hollow. Feels like there is more packed inside, but it could be the larger battery. But it's no more cumbersome to use than the M2. Which is a good thing, because I love the M2, and it's more ergonomic than the iBasso DX80. Which the DX80 was my perfect player for ergonomics, not anymore. Sorry DX80 lovers. Lol.. Oh.. By the way, this is coming from a Lefty.

I agree with Slefty
wink_face.gif
If you are not amping and you really don't need to unless your driving impossible cans the M5 is easily pocket-able
biggrin.gif
About the size of an iPhone 4 but twice as thick
beerchug.gif

Twibmassa, IMHO I think there are a lot of nice DAP's to consider over the A&K entry level Jr. I'd actually rather have the M2 or X3ii over the Jr. and for sure the M5 of Cayin N5
wink_face.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #253 of 1,113
Absolutely, It's beyond me what Shanling has done here. I figured it would be better due to the internals alone, but to finally hear it and get to hear the two on the same song with pretty much no burn in.. Is insane.. My favorite aspect of the M5 so far is the channel separation. The sound stage is so perfectly defined. It's a natural sound stage as if you were at a concert, the notes don't just stop abruptly, they naturally decay as they would in real life. I can't stop listening. But I have to go to bed to get some rest...

Hi again, most of my music is cd quality lossless or 320 mp3 (although I will reconvert my old cds to lossless shortly). With this would I hear the difference the m5 has over m2 or do you need to into higher quality files or dsd to really hear it? Thanks.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #255 of 1,113
The M5's had different sound signature and increased resolution vs. M2. No need for super hi-res files to notice a difference.

What I have been finding out with Hi-Res files is they are no better than Red Book 44.1 if the recording is C.R.A.P. anyway
blink.gif
With all the different players and cards I have loaded if the recording sounds like Caca it does not matter what your resolution is as a matter a fact the better the resolution the more prevalent the poor quality shows
frown.gif
I heard some Hi-Res files that sound worse than Apple M4's
blink.gif
YMMV but just because it says Hi-Res does not mean it will sound better!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back