Sennheiser plug found?
Jan 27, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #31 of 218
Way wrong that little bit on the end dont make no diffrence.I emailed all those big companys cardas mobus they aint going to give you those little ends.If you heard a set of these you would be glad you did not spend the 200$ they want for there cables.
These are also very flexable the others not so much.Believe me the diffrence in sound between the made up cable and the stock one is like night and day.At the same time they sound very natural.The cardas sounded good but brite at times on some stuff
I have never found anything that these new cables dont sound good on no listening fatigue at all.That part on the end you were talking about is only like an inch or so and to look at the cable you would not even be able to tell they look very cool if you want to see one I could email picture would put on site dosent seem to want to work to big I guess

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #32 of 218
cavedave,

Equinox splices Senn plugs on their cables, and many prefer them to Cardas cables, so I'm not surprised your happy with your DIY Grado/Senn cable.

To Whomever,

What's interesting, if I understand correctly (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that Moon Audio's Senn cables have molded connectors with the Cardas logo on them. Now that a mold exists, maybe Moon pays Cardas a fee allowing them to use the same mold and factory Cardas does.

Jan 28, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #34 of 218
has anyone tried to create your own plugs? - i.e. design them up in CAD and have them machined?

I imagine that is what Zu has done with theirs.

If someone post up some close up macros pictures of their stock pins and or cardas and preferably, the Zu connectors - I may have some time to whip up a (not to scale) CAD 3D model of one or two...sometime in the next week or so. To complete the design I would also need to know if each pin represents a single connection or if the tip and the shaft represent different electrical connections (like a miniplug). And if so what those connections are.

If there is enough interest - and enough people want to get them made, I am sure we can get a pretty good price from a machine shop. From what I can "see" right now in my mind, it would be a three piece design...one for outer casing, one for each pin...

Jan 28, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #35 of 218
yes, I'm gonna do that sometime soon.. my friend will do the CAD for me and I'll try to find someone who can mashine them, preferably using CNC..

Jan 28, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #36 of 218
I've got a bud who has access to a laser cutter, I'll buzz him and see if something this small is feasible. Not sure on the pins tho....I think they would have to be CNC'd, unless someone can find a source for them seperately.

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #38 of 218
You mean you guys need a source for these pins?
eek.gif

Both small and large (yes the Sennheiser pins for ground and signal are different sizes, this keeps you from inserting the cable the wrong way):
both.jpg

Closeup of the small ones:
small.jpg

Closeup of the large ones:
large.jpg

I haven't made any cables with them yet, and I can't sell them by themselves just yet, but I'm working on it.

-Jason

Jan 29, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #41 of 218
I think a lot of people would be interested in a Senn connector for sure.

As for the thread direction, just try to keep it about "how to make it", or "what if we were to do this?".

If it goes in the direction of "how many of you would buy this if I were to make it", then it would have to be locked, and no one wants that to happen. This is too good to let go down that road.

Thanks, and carry on, please!

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #43 of 218
If the pins are available then a pattern could be made of the body
& a rubber mold made. Once the mold is made the bodies could be cast in epoxy, or urethane; I have cast parts in both materials.
They should be as durable as the moulded plastic plug bodies.

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #44 of 218
team sennheiser cables hehehe .... nice job guys lets put our heads together for the official headfi senn diy cable ...

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #45 of 218
Sewer guy - I dont have a any experience with creating molds - do you have a picture of one that I could look at? - Once I have a design for the plug - I can easily create the negative mold from the 3D model using solidworks (which I am leaning towards for this project as opposed to proengineer) - are there any runners that I would need to add?

Jason - thanks for the pictures - I have a few questions regarding those pins - how long are they tip to base? from that I can estimate the rest of the length...How much length is exposed from tip to the plug body....

I will have some spare time this weekend while I audition a Radii headphone amp and I will try to post some rough screenshots of solid models on early next week...(no promises though)

does anyone have measurements from a Zu plug? - I wonder how they keep the pins isolated from the metal shell...

Thanks
Phil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back