Sennheiser plug found?
Dec 18, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 218
Quote:

Originally posted by Karlosak
I don't want to ruin the delight but there is a problem with the dimension of the "outer part" of the connector - it is narrower than the original Senn. But if the "inner part" is right and the distance between plugs is correct then it will fit, but not firmly (better said, it will be a bit loose connection).

Depending on the dimensions, if the connector is a bit narrower, a quick coat or two of liquid plastic sprayed on would solve that problem, I think.

Oh god let these be it, we've been waiting so long!

Jan 3, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 218
I have this incredible urge for a DIY project, and I think some custom cables for my HD600's (when they finally get shipped) would satisfy my craving for a little DIY. Please...if someone knows about these connects, please let us in on the big secret.

Jan 3, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 218
I have had a conversation with the sale rep for this company. Asked him a lot of questions, about the plugs, order options, etc. Said that he would send me some samples for review. As of yet they have not shown up, but we have had all these holidays & this is probably not his highest priority. Will call him again to follow up next week. Once I see them in the real, I will post my findings, and perhaps we can pool our needs and place a group order. . . . . . Stay tuned, I will let you know as I know more.

thanks for your patients

- augustwest

Jan 3, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 218
right on ...do that ..!

Jan 14, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #25 of 218
Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
Where do the aftermarket cable companies get their plugs from? I can't imagine this greay mystery is still not solved.

I'd think, you just have to be renowned (or hardheaded
evil_smiley.gif
) enough. Then, I'd assume, talling Sennheiser into seeling you a batch of their connectors should be not much of a problem. For bigger manufacturers like Oehlbach (who produce Jan Meier's replacement cable, afaik...), producing those connectors is probably an easy job, anyway (unless Sennheiser has somehow protected the design - by patent or whatever... but even then, being renowned enough probably helps a lot to talk Sennheiser into giving you a license...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 23, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #27 of 218
Well, I just took the initiative and called the company to talk to them myself. The plugs pictured on their website are all plugs that they can mold directly onto a cable for one of their customers. The plugs are not sold as stand-alone pieces, so there's no hope there for DIY Sennheiser replacement plugs.

The #7 is the one that Cardas used on their first run of cables. After that, Cardas had the company make up a custom mold for the plugs on the Cardas cables, but Cardas "owns" that mold, so no one else can use it w/o their permission.

Having them make up a custom mold costs $7,000-$15,000. The cost of having the plugs molded onto the cables is not insignificant, either. I can definitely see why Cardas charges $150+ for their Sennheiser replacement cables.

Obviously, it can probably be done for cheaper, if Jan Meier is selling an Oehlbach Sennheiser replacement cable for $55. Of course, that cable doesn't feature patented Cardas wire technology, or the very nice Cardas 1/4" plug.

-Jason

Jan 24, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #28 of 218
jesus! $7.500-$15.000?? no no no, please noo
blink.gif

there are easier ways to make the connectors, for example the Zu Cable's way.. and they charge even more for their products..

Jan 26, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 218
Hey guys I posted on another part on the site and nobody really cared they are to busy buying the more higher end HD 650 cables
What I did was get a grado 325 cable Grado sent me one for 35$
and spliced the ends of my HD650 cable on to it.I also got a cable from headroom HD 600 and made one from a Grado 125 cable
both of these have the 1/4 inch plug and sound very very good
I had the cardas for a year and these to me sound way better
invest about 65$ and a little time you will not be sorry.Just thought someone might want to know.

Jan 26, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #30 of 218
Quote:

Originally posted by cavedave
Hey guys I posted on another part on the site and nobody really cared they are to busy buying the more higher end HD 650 cables
What I did was get a grado 325 cable Grado sent me one for 35$
and spliced the ends of my HD650 cable on to it.I also got a cable from headroom HD 600 and made one from a Grado 125 cable
both of these have the 1/4 inch plug and sound very very good
I had the cardas for a year and these to me sound way better
invest about 65$ and a little time you will not be sorry.Just thought someone might want to know.

Well, I think what we're trying to avoid is splicing onto the stock Senn connectors. Seems kinda pointless to me to have a great cable 10 ft long, and the last inch be that cruddy stock wire they use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back