Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Aug 6, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #3,229 of 3,594
I tried these headphones out at a store yesterday and I must say that they disappointed me. They were too muddy for my liking. They gave me the same vibe as beats by Dre with the focus on fashion and bass, although they seem better and are less expensive. I would consider them a downgrade from my ATH M-50s, but that´s just me.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #3,230 of 3,594
  I tried these headphones out at a store yesterday and I must say that they disappointed me. They were too muddy for my liking. They gave me the same vibe as beats by Dre with the focus on fashion and bass, although they seem better and are less expensive. I would consider them a downgrade from my ATH M-50s, but that´s just me.

What source and files were you using? I hardly consider them in the same level as M-50s... the momentum has more warmth which might have the masking effect, but the the clarity and details is there. The lows doesn't bleed into the mids and they are well balanced and coherent unlike beats.

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #3,231 of 3,594

What source and files were you using? I hardly consider them in the same level as M-50s... the momentum has more warmth which might have the masking effect, but the the clarity and details is there. The lows doesn't bleed into the mids and they are well balanced and coherent unlike beats.

I used my phone as a source since that is what the momentum is made for. 
I´m not saying that they are bad headphones, a lot of people might like them. They just don´t appeal to me.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #3,232 of 3,594
If the only reference to compare with is the M-50, then naturally the Momentum will sound darker by comparison. The M50 is a much more sparkly headphone in the treble, and your ears after a short demo have not adjusted to the Momentum sound signature.
That is why you should never give impressions from short demos.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,233 of 3,594
Picked up a brown pair of Momes during Sennheiser's refurbished sale and have enjoyed them immensely so far.  Yes, the earpads were wrinkled in ways that aren't immune to comparisons to the testicles of the elderly, but for $164, I believe I can cope.

Though the sound doesn't seem as detailed as that of the Amperiors, it is unusually listenable and the soundstage is surprising. Momes seem safer to listen to in transit that brighter headphones might have been.  I tend to use my Amperiors at work; I'll be using these in trains, buses and wifi cafes.

Quite satisfied so far.  The sound has a rightness that might or might not be accurate, but it's definitely pleasurable. 

I should have more specific thoughts on this after the next few weeks. I just picked up a OnePlus One and wanted to root it before introducing it to the Momentum.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #3,234 of 3,594
  Picked up a brown pair of Momes during Sennheiser's refurbished sale and have enjoyed them immensely so far.  Yes, the earpads were wrinkled in ways that aren't immune to comparisons to the testicles of the elderly, but for $164, I believe I can cope.

Though the sound doesn't seem as detailed as that of the Amperiors, it is unusually listenable and the soundstage is surprising. Momes seem safer to listen to in transit that brighter headphones might have been.  I tend to use my Amperiors at work; I'll be using these in trains, buses and wifi cafes.

Quite satisfied so far.  The sound has a rightness that might or might not be accurate, but it's definitely pleasurable. 

I should have more specific thoughts on this after the next few weeks. I just picked up a OnePlus One and wanted to root it before introducing it to the Momentum.

This is a bit random bad as an on the go strictly portable pair of headphones would you recommend the Sennheiser Amperiors or the V-Moda M100? 

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3,235 of 3,594
  This is a bit random bad as an on the go strictly portable pair of headphones would you recommend the Sennheiser Amperiors or the V-Moda M100? 

For portability i'd say M100... they are so compact! the Momentum is still quite large to carry around as they don't fold, and Amperiors are not as compact as the M100. But M100 is more V shaped than the Momentums which i find more balanced towards the warm side. 
Isolation wise, they all don't isolate well... you'd still have to crank up the volume which isn't good for your ears. It'll be fine if you're outside in cafes, etc. But in noisy subways i'd rather consider IEMs instead.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3,236 of 3,594

For portability i'd say M100... they are so compact! the Momentum is still quite large to carry around as they don't fold, and Amperiors are not as compact as the M100. But M100 is more V shaped than the Momentums which i find more balanced towards the warm side. 
Isolation wise, they all don't isolate well... you'd still have to crank up the volume which isn't good for your ears. It'll be fine if you're outside in cafes, etc. But in noisy subways i'd rather consider IEMs instead.

Thanks for the feedback :) 

I don't live in the city so I think it would be pretty good :) 
in terms of IEMs I own the shure SE215LTD's but I seem to not use them that often by choice unfortunately, I don't really know why but I would find it easier to take a pair of headphones off my head than having to remove the ear guards to take the shures off to talk to someone since the isolation is incredibly good that I would only be able to hear my own voice on top of everything else..  . 

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #3,237 of 3,594
Thanks for the feedback :) 

I don't live in the city so I think it would be pretty good :) 
in terms of IEMs I own the shure SE215LTD's but I seem to not use them that often by choice unfortunately, I don't really know why but I would find it easier to take a pair of headphones off my head than having to remove the ear guards to take the shures off to talk to someone since the isolation is incredibly good that I would only be able to hear my own voice on top of everything else..  . 

I used to have the 215s too lol. I actually prefer IEMs than headphones, I still find them more comfortable. But both the Vmoda and Senns are nice. If the M100 has better mids then I'd grab it in a heartbeat as I listen to variety genres. But i might get 1 in the end when I have spare cash to throw since I haven't found a over ears headphone as portable and sound good as the M100.
If you love vocals I'd recommend the Momentums over the M100.
Bass heavy, EDM stuffs the M100 would be better.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #3,238 of 3,594
I use to own the Momentums but they were a bit to "delicate" for me and I didn't like the fact that there portability were limited so I got a refund. 

I currently Own a pair of Yamaha MT220's which I bought for $130 off of catchoftheday and I love them. there going to be my dedicated desktop headphones from now on. I just don't find the SE215LTDs to be very comfortable for my small ears over a short- medium length of time. I recently wore them down the street only 30 minutes ago. I feel as if I'd only wear them only if I had to. I could get away with taking my MT220's when travelling but I think there truly meant to stay at home which is why I'm thinking of eventually getting a pair of M100's. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,239 of 3,594

personally i think its really a toss up the amperiors don't fold but they fit so easily around your neck (your chin won't hit them, i can almost guarantee it) the m100s do fold but the case although is small its an interesting shape, its quite big in terms of height so its not gonna fit as easily in messenger bags and such (where i think the amperiors can easily do that)

i actually found the amperiors isolating very well for subway use (i didn't have the crank the volume) i use them about 6/16 on my ipod touch on the subway and about 5/16 at home.

the m100s i did find myself turning it up a bit more (but nothing insane!) at home i was hovering around 5/16 and while outside about 7/16.

i think the amperiors definitely benefit from the pleather earpads if isolation is a top priority i was able to listen to it at 5/16 both at home and subway (its quite remarkable!) but the downside is the pleathers are not as breathable and i found myself sweating in them much faster.

both as you stated both don't compare to iems (i don't think anything does!) but for what they are, they do a great job

I'm uploading a review on my youtube channel of the amperiors later this week so stay tuned for that
but in the mean time if your wondering about the isolation between the amperiors and momentums (both on and over ear) i did here in a "Quick comparison" click around 4:03 for the isolation comparison (this was with the velour earpads on the amperiors)

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #3,240 of 3,594
Quote:
  personally i think its really a toss up the amperiors don't fold but they fit so easily around your neck (your chin won't hit them, i can almost guarantee it) the m100s do fold but the case although is small its an interesting shape, its quite big in terms of height so its not gonna fit as easily in messenger bags and such (where i think the amperiors can easily do that)

i actually found the amperiors isolating very well for subway use (i didn't have the crank the volume) i use them about 6/16 on my ipod touch on the subway and about 5/16 at home.

the m100s i did find myself turning it up a bit more (but nothing insane!) at home i was hovering around 5/16 and while outside about 7/16.

i think the amperiors definitely benefit from the pleather earpads if isolation is a top priority i was able to listen to it at 5/16 both at home and subway (its quite remarkable!) but the downside is the pleathers are not as breathable and i found myself sweating in them much faster.

both as you stated both don't compare to iems (i don't think anything does!) but for what they are, they do a great job

I'm uploading a review on my youtube channel of the amperiors later this week so stay tuned for that
but in the mean time if your wondering about the isolation between the amperiors and momentums (both on and over ear) i did here in a "Quick comparison" click around 4:03 for the isolation comparison (this was with the velour earpads on the amperiors)

Amperiors are on ears, you can't compare the cups not touching your neck with over the ears type. No idea how small your messenger bag is, but i had no problem with that when i tried it. And i wouldn't be afraid of tossing it around either since the durability for M100 > Amperiors.

Isolation wise Amperiors might be better since it's hard press on your ears if the fitting is good. Over ears to me are more comfortable as the M100 and Momentums are only lightly clamped around your ears. Not much suction as well, hence isolation isn't as good. I never liked on ears, so you'll never see me getting one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back