Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Jul 26, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #3,211 of 3,594
  I think there's been a recent price reduction, check it out, ah the temptation.

your are correct! 

There's been a price reduction of $50 in Australia for all there ipod touch range. 

16gb: A$249
32gb: A$299
64gb: A$349

I ended up purchasing a 5th gen iPod Touch 32gb in space grey on Ebay for a winning bid of $214 (including postage). The seller bought it as a impulse buy and he/she has only opened it to check whether it works (like it wouldn't lol)  but he/she hasn't even used any of the accessories so as far as I know  it's essentially brand new :)

I also bought a pair of Yamaha HPH-MT220's on catchoftheday.com.au for $117 :) so I saved around $118 on not buying the Sennheiser momentum's and instead going for the MT220's and I putting the rest towards the ipod touch. instead :)

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #3,212 of 3,594
  Has anyone actually tried those with hi-end gear? I wonder how they'd compare when facing HD800, for example... I know they're up a completely different alley and all, but curiosity tickles me.

I find it easily makes a good outdoor counterpart to my indoor-only HE-500. 
Sure, it doesn't have the same air, soundstage and fine details... well... they're entirely different sound signatures and presentations, but when I'm on the move I'm never in an environment where I'm truly listening to the music... mostly just hearing it; but I'm never left wanting for more. 
Only if it's a super-dull recording I might want a bit more treble, but I would usually consider these 'bad' recordings because they sound fairly dull on other headphones too, but this is also subjective.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #3,213 of 3,594
  I find it easily makes a good outdoor counterpart to my indoor-only HE-500. 
Sure, it doesn't have the same air, soundstage and fine details... well... they're entirely different sound signatures and presentations, but when I'm on the move I'm never in an environment where I'm truly listening to the music... mostly just hearing it; but I'm never left wanting for more. 
Only if it's a super-dull recording I might want a bit more treble, but I would usually consider these 'bad' recordings because they sound fairly dull on other headphones too, but this is also subjective.

I found these headphones to be lacking clarity on neutral to slightly dull recordings.

They have amazing clarity however on brighter recordings.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #3,214 of 3,594
When you say "lacking clarity" you make it sound like the detail is missing. I never feel these lack clarity, only some treble volume, sometimes.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #3,216 of 3,594
I suppose this is greatly dependent on the music one has and listens to. 
In my quest for portable-closed back headphones, one of my biggest obstacles was peaky treble in too much of my music (which is mostly a variety of rock, although I do listen to whole bunch of other genres too) and the Momentum just solved this problem.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,217 of 3,594
  I suppose this is greatly dependent on the music one has and listens to. 
In my quest for portable-closed back headphones, one of my biggest obstacles was peaky treble in too much of my music (which is mostly a variety of rock, although I do listen to whole bunch of other genres too) and the Momentum just solved this problem.

Yeah, the Momentums are awesome for treble happy songs.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #3,218 of 3,594
So guys these seem some awesome cans, but what if I wanted something similar priced, with similar sound quality, but in a not-portable more big-ears big-head friendly package?

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,219 of 3,594
  So guys these seem some awesome cans, but what if I wanted something similar priced, with similar sound quality, but in a not-portable more big-ears big-head friendly package?

Have you heard/auditioned the Momentums?

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,220 of 3,594

MrSpeakers Mad Dog 3.2 is similarly priced. The Mad Dog Pro is a bit more expensive but is slightly better still. 

Never tried the Mad Dog Pro but owned the Mad Dog 3.2 and Momentums (twice)... the Mad Dog 3.2 was brilliant. Momentum was good. If portability was not important, the Mad Dog 3.2 was unbelievable for the price. 

Amps I used with the Mad Dog 3.2 - ECP Audio Torpedo and Burson Soloist SL. Torpedo was very good. Soloist SL was amazing with it. Best mid-fi stuff I ever bought. 

I've since moved on to more expensive stuff but I still have happy memories of the Mad Dog 3.2 setup. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #3,221 of 3,594
But that's a problem if he needs amps.
It's no longer a 'similar price' to the Momentum.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #3,222 of 3,594
  Have you heard/auditioned the Momentums?

Yes, but the on-ear ones. The sound was warm and I know inferior to the over-ear, but kinda like the signature.

MrSpeakers Mad Dog 3.2 is similarly priced. The Mad Dog Pro is a bit more expensive but is slightly better still. 

Never tried the Mad Dog Pro but owned the Mad Dog 3.2 and Momentums (twice)... the Mad Dog 3.2 was brilliant. Momentum was good. If portability was not important, the Mad Dog 3.2 was unbelievable for the price. 

Amps I used with the Mad Dog 3.2 - ECP Audio Torpedo and Burson Soloist SL. Torpedo was very good. Soloist SL was amazing with it. Best mid-fi stuff I ever bought. 

I've since moved on to more expensive stuff but I still have happy memories of the Mad Dog 3.2 setup. 

Thanks! Sadly I forgot to say I'm in Europe, can't find Mad Dogs here..

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #3,223 of 3,594
I am in Australia. 

Just get it shipped direct to you from US.  :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #3,224 of 3,594
Or just buy a T50RP MKII (or T20RP MKII - as they're practically identical minus a few damping elements) and modify it yourself.

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #3,225 of 3,594

Yes, but the on-ear ones. The sound was warm and I know inferior to the over-ear, but kinda like the signature.

Thanks! Sadly I forgot to say I'm in Europe, can't find Mad Dogs here..

if you wanna see my thoughts on the on ear vs over ear to see if it fits your preference. heres my review!

on my youtube channel i also have an indepth review on both of these headphones so be sure to check it out! i don't wanna flood this thread with my videos =p or pm me! i'll send you the links!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back