Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,024 of 7,699

Quote:
I still think the bass is a little bit too much on some songs.

Has anyone noticed changes occur during burn in?

I think it has more to do with the particular recording. Some recordings do sound bassy but most sound quite balanced. I think the IE-80's have alot more bass definition and detail than the IE-8's, so you actually have is better bass.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,025 of 7,699
Too much bass? This may be good news for classical music. No wonder some people say the IE8 is born for classical music.

Quote:
First Impressions of the IE80/ Comparison to IE8

After plugging them in for the first time my thought was: “OMG, even more bass than on the IE8?!?”

In the end it´s hard to tell whether the sub bass quantity increased or sub bass just comes to life after the reduction of the mid bass hump.
Overall, the bass is really nice now, deep, full and most importantly, it doesn´t mess with the midrange anymore.
I would prefer a tad less bass on some tracks but they are the minority. 
I guess the bass hump shifted way down to the lower frequencies as james444 already said.
What I love most is the clear separation between midrange and bass, one of the weak points of the IE8.

Midrange really shines now! The main reason is the reduction in mid bass, but there´s also a slight improvement on tracks without bass due to the change in presentation.
Mids are a bit less laid back, more upfront. The veil may not be gone completely but it was lifted a bit.
However, the soundstage got smaller in order to get this more intimate presentation, which is ok for me.

Treble didn´t change. This is a good thing, since the IE8´s treble was known for being smooth, non-fatiguing, with no sibilance at all.

The IE80 is just more fun to listen to than the IE8. The sound is warm, smooth, more detailed, doesn´t lack clarity and is even more involving because of the more intimate presentation and clearer midrange.
I´m very pleased overall
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,027 of 7,699
IE8 or IE80???
i'm planning on purchasing the IE8 but then the sennheiser dealers r told me about the IE80 it seems a slight improvement on the original IE8 but is it worth paying 25% extra??as the IE8 r themselves quiet expensive ie8 .

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,028 of 7,699
Yes, the IE80 has more sub bass, less mid bass and is a little bit brighter than the IE8; eventhough the changes are slight, it is a huge improvement overall, the IE80's bass sounds a lot punchier. The IE60 sounds terrible in comparison.

Quote:
Sub bass isn't the issue. It was mid bass that ruined the IE8 and Sennheiser seems to have fixed that issue....

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #1,030 of 7,699

Quote:
Yes, the IE80 has more sub bass, less mid bass and is a little bit brighter than the IE8; eventhough the changes are slight, it is a huge improvement overall, the IE80's bass sounds a lot punchier. The IE60 sounds terrible in comparison.

Yeah its funny how a little bit can tip the scales from being real bad to very good. The source will also play a factor as well. These seems to pair well with a very neutral source.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #1,031 of 7,699

Quote:
IE8 or IE80???
i'm planning on purchasing the IE8 but then the sennheiser dealers r told me about the IE80 it seems a slight improvement on the original IE8 but is it worth paying 25% extra??as the IE8 r themselves quiet expensive ie8 .

Try and haggle with them. I got mine for a decent price from an authorized dealer.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #1,032 of 7,699
Just do some EQ tweaks on your IE8 and they sound exactly the same as the IE80... I did a comparison with the IE80 of a friend of mine and there was absolutely no difference except a slightly bigger soundstage on the IE8. So if I were you, I would buy the IE8... 

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #1,033 of 7,699
Yes but you need a good EQ that not affect to much the sound, if not they will not be the same as the IE80 :)

Quote:
Just do some EQ tweaks on your IE8 and they sound exactly the same as the IE80... I did a comparison with the IE80 of a friend of mine and there was absolutely no difference except a slightly bigger soundstage on the IE8. So if I were you, I would buy the IE8... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back