Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #976 of 7,699

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't have a camera on me at the time of the ad listing, but I've edited the post to show the exact box I have. The image I had before was merely a reference image provided via Google images. Which two are you referring to, my friend? There's a computerized, digital one, and one of the actual box taken in real life, if that's what is being referred to.

Ok that one looks different like the one I had. The other one in your add has the IE80s positioned differently and surrounded by some sort of foam while the other (like mine) was surrounded by plastic instead....

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #977 of 7,699

Quote:
So can I assume that you have heard the IE80s for yourself?

I sure have my friend. Also ie2han and I have a similar outlook on them. Definitely more balanced all around. Not sure what Sennheiser did but its a very noticeable difference when compared to a stock IE8. No EQ is generally needed with the IE80. No clouded mid range. Bass is deeper and tighter. Sound stage is a bit smaller but more upfront. Pretty much I consider them more detailed stock. Believe me having gone from 2 brand new IE8s and then to this IE80; its a clear upgrade IMO (I hate using EQ and you add distortion having to EQ up the bands) and I could tell my IE80s were genuine (stolen from the factory lol joke).

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #978 of 7,699

Quote:
Quote:

Missed a few pages there, my friend? 
tongue.gif

Pretty much, that page was in my "skim spree" to catch up you see

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #979 of 7,699
I wouldnt put it past china to come up with replicas so quickly. Those fake limited edition Beats came out even before the launch in the US. Yes, the ie80 was just launched fairly recently but design, production was probably done months ago in China leaving the manufacturers of fakes plenty of time to roll out their own version. They even supposedly have the replica for the next gen iphone5 out already and this is targeted to launch in aug or sept by Apple!

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #980 of 7,699
Finally I have ordered the V-Moda, will give a try,  thanks Lee :)

Quote:
I use large single flanges from V-Moda and JVC. I got these tips from amazon.com

Edit: Links posted below

http://www.amazon.com/HA-NCX77-Replacement-Silicone-Tips-Large/dp/B003P8XOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324824071&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Replacement-Silicone-V-MODA-V-moda/dp/B002X866S2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1324824135&sr=1-1-catcorr

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #981 of 7,699
Doh ! Based on what has been said here, I knew this price from Australian 'el-cheapo' retailer Kogan was too good to be true:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/sennheiser-ie-80-ear-earphones/

I don't know if they have lifted their game, but Kogan were notorious for selling really low-end TVs from Korea and China at 'crazy low prices' and simply giving customers a replacement when, inevitably, they bought their dead TV back. That sort of 'customer service' relies on a certain percentage of people simply junking their TV and accepting that you get what you pay for - not a strategy I want to apply to audio.

(Where Kogan have hit a nerve is in their recognition that our 'big box' retailers have been charging exorbitant markups for many years and getting away with it, but I'm sure that doesnt happen in audio ...)

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #982 of 7,699

Unless they are stolen from the factory which could very well be the case. I feel that the pair of IE80s that I recently sent back were most likely stolen from the Factory by its very own workers. Or maybe purchased for dirt cheap by these workers and then sold into the black market. I know for a fact that the pair I received were real though. Not so sure about all the units non-the-less. And at that price estreeter, I just ordered my pair for around $350.00 from an authorized dealer. You just gotta know how to haggle with these guys. They do want the sale.
Quote:
Doh ! Based on what has been said here, I knew this price from Australian 'el-cheapo' retailer Kogan was too good to be true:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/sennheiser-ie-80-ear-earphones/

I don't know if they have lifted their game, but Kogan were notorious for selling really low-end TVs from Korea and China at 'crazy low prices' and simply giving customers a replacement when, inevitably, they bought their dead TV back. That sort of 'customer service' relies on a certain percentage of people simply junking their TV and accepting that you get what you pay for - not a strategy I want to apply to audio.

(Where Kogan have hit a nerve is in their recognition that our 'big box' retailers have been charging exorbitant markups for many years and getting away with it, but I'm sure that doesnt happen in audio ...)

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #983 of 7,699
Sennheiser prices are tightly controlled in most Australian retailers - Kogan run their site offshore but market to Australians as they have brick-and-mortar stores here : its a very grey area. The Senn distributors in Australia are notoriously arrogant bastards who fix prices at the 'premium' level, even for the dregs of Sennheiser's range so that a couple of chain stores can put a slash through the 'RRP' and tell you that you are getting an 'insane' deal on the HD201 (!) at only $49.95. Its pathetic. I don't go into the chains very often - the 'range' and the prices just make me angry. Throw in the crowds and I could easily go postal in a place like that 
eek.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #984 of 7,699
One only has to look at that seller to see the multitude of fakes floating around the market. He claims to be the first to recieve them but i'm sure the rest will be available to the other sellers soon. Only the naive would believe that the ie80 is original but stolen from factory or workers selling them off. Whatever makes you happy i suppose...

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #985 of 7,699

Quote:
One only has to look at that seller to see the multitude of fakes floating around the market. He claims to be the first to recieve them but i'm sure the rest will be available to the other sellers soon. Only the naive would believe that the ie80 is original but stolen from factory or workers selling them off. Whatever makes you happy i suppose...

Wait what are you talking about? I returned my pair based on false advertising. I ordered from Razordog who is an authorized Sennheiser Dealer. I should have my pair this Friday and I can confirm if there really is a difference. Also since I got signature confirmation on the pair I returned, the seller hasn't claimed the item yet. So in 13 days if he don't claim it, it will be shipped back to me at which point I can do a cross comparison. I highly doubt the pair I had was fake, more so it had a minor flaw on its silver plating. I should know if it was fake as I've come from 2 brand new pairs of IE8s. I know the sound signature like the back of my hand.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #987 of 7,699

Quote:
2 brand new IE8s ? Sweet Jeebus - how much money are you sinking into these overpriced Senns ?

My first pair was bought from a non authorized dealer for $265.00. He acquired them from an authorized dealer in Germany. I ended up breaking them removing a f#cking comply tip (way too tight for the IEMs safety). Luckily I had a square trade warranty or I'd been screwed. Square trade refunded me about $276.00. This time I opted to buy directly from Razordog for $300.00 for my second pair. Once hearing all these IE80 impressions I decided to sell my IE8s to upgrade. Sold them for $240.00. Then I ordered a pair of IE80s from a non authorized dealer for $325.00, come to find I have no warranty support while the bastards add says it does... Then I contact PayPal to get my money back (including a $10.00 courtesy credit to pay shipping fees). I ordered a pair of IE80s for a very good price from Razordog (if you haggle with him you can get a good deal). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back