Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #7,006 of 7,699
  well IDK, it looks very much like what I remember from the monster(maybe a little less bass in my memories, but that's the problem of memories and short listening), but the EI80, at least mine, sounds like it has a clear strong boost in the high-medium. and that in turn makes lower mids to sound a little absent. 
and I'm not saying this because my stupid graphs shows the 5khz bump, in fact to my ears there is also a boost in the 8 to 10khz area, but it doesn't show up on my measurement(maybe my ears have some resonance there? maybe the veritas is nullifying something there with a given insertion depth? or maybe I just calibrated the thing like a noob? IDK ^_^). but I'm clearly hearing a strong V shaped IEM. and yeah the gr07 will have less bass boost so maybe it will feel like the mids are more defined to Minotza? that was my fishing attempt, IDK what sounds better to him.

I hear a boost around 8kHz too, but less pronounced than the 5kHz peak. However, I think the veil is mostly due to mid/upper-bass masking and it's funny how the napkin-mod clears up the mids.

As for the GR07, I was just referring to him wanting something with MORE BASS than the MTPC.
eek.gif

I'm getting the veritas back soon, the I'll try all the new/old mods. I just want to say that my blu-tack is blue, that should impress people.
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your measurements. Perfect - the blue blu-tack will leave room for excuse if they disprove my findings.
biggrin.gif

@Minotza  I think getting several IEM and trying is the real good idea there. at least it will give a clear vision of what you tend to favor.

X2

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #7,007 of 7,699
  Thanks, I will read through that glossary for sure.

Meanwhile, I just bought the Earsonics Velvet off an amazon authorized reseller. Should have them in 2 days, I'll let you know what I think of them. Thanks for your help!

Cool. Let me know how it compares to the IE80..

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #7,009 of 7,699
 Should I also grab a Shure SE846 or is the Earsonics Velvet the same or better? I see a Shure SE846 for 600 on ebay right now ending in an hour.

Check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736380/earsonics-velvet-universal-custom-in-ear-monitor-with-three-sound-tuning-options/1245#post_12201701

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #7,010 of 7,699

Thanks. I'm just going to stick with the Velvet's for now, I can't afford to cop both. My XB90EX came in today, and it's a very slight downgrade compared to the IE80s or the MTPCs (slightly less detail in the mid and low range), which surprised me because they are only 80 bucks. I don't notice anything special about the bass. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #7,011 of 7,699

Here you are..
wink.gif

In short, tape-mod + blu-tack results in further bass attenuation, but sounds overdamped and lacking dynamics to my ears.

Removing the tape and leaving just the blu-tack in place sounds similar to the tape-mod alone.

This suggests there may indeed be (additional) air flow through the seam. And those who're looking for the tightest possible bass might want to try Sylaw's mod.

James, thanks for sharing the findings.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #7,013 of 7,699

Did you get the Velvets? How does it sound?

Been listening to them for a couple of hours...so far from a/bing all I can say for sure is that the bass quantity is pretty much the same (With the velvets on balanced mode and the IE80s on balanced mode. On warm mode the Velvet's have a good amount more compared to IE80's warm mode. However, the Velvet's bass has more "texture" to it on both settings.

Other than that I can't fricken tell which is better. They sound really similar honestly. I'm at a loss..how come I can't hear a night and day difference between $300 and $700 buds? I think the Velvets have slightly more clarity? I really need to spend tomorrow A/Bing them some more. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #7,014 of 7,699

Been listening to them for a couple of hours...so far from a/bing all I can say for sure is that the bass quantity is pretty much the same (With the velvets on balanced mode and the IE80s on balanced mode. On warm mode the Velvet's have a good amount more compared to IE80's warm mode. However, the Velvet's bass has more "texture" to it on both settings.

Other than that I can't fricken tell which is better. They sound really similar honestly. I'm at a loss..how come I can't hear a night and day difference between $300 and $700 buds? I think the Velvets have slightly more clarity? I really need to spend tomorrow A/Bing them some more. 

I'm really sorry to hear that. So I just re-read your earlier post:

I usually listen to music with my two Yamaha HS80Ms paired with a Yamaha sub. I love the sound this setup produces. I'm guessing this a "neutral" sound I'm going for. For example, if the song was recorded badly, I want to hear it. I don't want my monitor/earbuds lying to me. I also don't want bass when there shouldn't be any, which it seems like the IE80 is doing all the time. But to be clear, I LOVE bass. I am a bass-head, but it has to be quality bass. If it's overly muddy and boomy then forget about it.

IE80 is a smooth IEM. You wont hear any harsh treble peaks or experience sibilance. And to do that it loses on clarity and details a bit. And from what I have read about the Velvets, those are similar to the IE80 but with slightly better details and clarity. That could be one possible reason why you feel the Velvets don't sound so much better than the IE80.

May be what you are looking for is an IEM with a little less bass than these 2 and possibly something that is more neutral and has forward mids and a bit of a sparkle in the treble. Like James recommended you could try the V-Sonic GR07 Bass Edition and see if you like it. You could look also into: Flare R2Pro, Dunu 2000, Shure SE535.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #7,015 of 7,699

I'm really sorry to hear that. So I just re-read your earlier post:

I usually listen to music with my two Yamaha HS80Ms paired with a Yamaha sub. I love the sound this setup produces. I'm guessing this a "neutral" sound I'm going for. For example, if the song was recorded badly, I want to hear it. I don't want my monitor/earbuds lying to me. I also don't want bass when there shouldn't be any, which it seems like the IE80 is doing all the time. But to be clear, I LOVE bass. I am a bass-head, but it has to be quality bass. If it's overly muddy and boomy then forget about it.

IE80 is a smooth IEM. You wont hear any harsh treble peaks or experience sibilance. And to do that it loses on clarity and details a bit. And from what I have read about the Velvets, those are similar to the IE80 but with slightly better details and clarity. That could be one possible reason why you feel the Velvets don't sound so much better than the IE80.

May be what you are looking for is an IEM with a little less bass than these 2 and possibly something that is more neutral and has forward mids and a bit of a sparkle in the treble. Like James recommended you could try the V-Sonic GR07 Bass Edition and see if you like it. You could look also into: Flare R2Pro, Dunu 2000, Shure SE535.

Tried the GR07 Bass Edition, didn't see anything special about them...they sounded identical to my MTCPs

I've grown to love the IE80s in the last 4 days I've had them, and I like the Velvets a lot too, but they are freaking 700 dollars...I feel like for that amount of money I should be getting something a lot more? I'm most likely going to return the Velvets and stick with the IE80s as I don't think there is a $400 difference between these two IEMs. Not to mention the fit on the Velvets is beyond horrible. I also don't want to try and IEMs that offer any less bass than these 2, as the amount of bass is perfect for me. Thanks for your help/suggestions!

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #7,016 of 7,699
  Tried the GR07 Bass Edition, didn't see anything special about them...they sounded identical to my MTCPs

I've grown to love the IE80s in the last 4 days I've had them, and I like the Velvets a lot too, but they are freaking 700 dollars...I feel like for that amount of money I should be getting something a lot more? I'm most likely going to return the Velvets and stick with the IE80s as I don't think there is a $400 difference between these two IEMs. Not to mention the fit on the Velvets is beyond horrible. I also don't want to try and IEMs that offer any less bass than these 2, as the amount of bass is perfect for me. Thanks for your help/suggestions!

Good call.

I had the same experience with some other in-ears as well. From $600 to $1,000 and for that price you need to be wowed. And wowed I was very often not. 

Listen to what you like. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #7,017 of 7,699

Like James recommended you could try the V-Sonic GR07 Bass Edition and see if you like it. You could look also into: Flare R2Pro, Dunu 2000, Shure SE535.

Actually, I didn't recommend the GR07 Bass Edition.
wink.gif
  To the contrary, I was skeptical because he said he wanted MORE bass than the MTPC and IE80.

Quote:

I've grown to love the IE80s in the last 4 days I've had them, and I like the Velvets a lot too, but they are freaking 700 dollars...I feel like for that amount of money I should be getting something a lot more? I'm most likely going to return the Velvets and stick with the IE80s as I don't think there is a $400 difference between these two IEMs. Not to mention the fit on the Velvets is beyond horrible.

From a technical point of view, there's no compelling evidence that a $1000 IEM is necessarily superior to a $50 one. What we perceive as sound quality is largely determined by frequency response, and there's nothing to prevent a cheaper IEM from having a similar response to a much more expensive IEM. Here's a story on how I challenged fellow member @Joe Bloggs in that matter... and failed miserably lol. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #7,018 of 7,699

Actually, I didn't recommend the GR07 Bass Edition.
wink.gif
  To the contrary, I was skeptical because he said he wanted MORE bass than the MTPC and IE80.

My bad, I'm sorry. I was scrolling down the page and saw GR07 BE being mentioned in one of your posts. I presumed it was a recommendation as I did not stop to read the post. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #7,019 of 7,699
yeah it was me, it's always my fault!!!!! ^_^
and I mentioned it before minotza talked about how he loves his bass. I was answering in fact to his post where he didn't get why the IE80 seemed to be missing mids details(dunno if he really expressed it that way but that's how I read it compared to the monster).
but at least it cleared out the fact that he wasn't a medium lover in search of himself. he does love his bass ^_^.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #7,020 of 7,699

Cool. You can try the tape mod for the IE80 and see if you like it. It tames the mid-bass a little that results in a sense of slightly better mids. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back