Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #6,991 of 7,699
Just got my IE80's from Amazon. Pretty disappointed, there seems to be a veil on all my songs, I'm thinking it's due to the muddy bass. The bass dial pretty much does nothing, I have tried listening with one on min and one on max and there was barely a difference.

My Monster Turbine Pro Copper's were MUCH better than this, if only I can find them. 

The IE80's seem to be lacking detail and the have a very bad veil covering every song I throw at it. At 300 USD these are a joke, sadly. 

You will probably get all kinds of suggestions regarding burn in, mods and etc. My advice. You don't like them. Back them and buy something else.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #6,992 of 7,699
  Just got my IE80's from Amazon. Pretty disappointed, there seems to be a veil on all my songs, I'm thinking it's due to the muddy bass. The bass dial pretty much does nothing, I have tried listening with one on min and one on max and there was barely a difference.

My Monster Turbine Pro Copper's were MUCH better than this, if only I can find them. 

The IE80's seem to be lacking detail and the have a very bad veil covering every song I throw at it. At 300 USD these are a joke, sadly. 

Sounds like isolation issue to me. Try different tips.

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #6,993 of 7,699
Been trying all the tips it came with..same problem, the sound is just muddled. I need the sound (low and mids) to be clearer, more defined. Any suggestions for an IEM that sound like the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers but better? 

Is there a significant difference regarding the sound signatures of the MTPC vs IE80? Maybe this would illuminate the signature I'm going for? i've heard people say the IE80s have a V sound signature, what do the MTPC have?

I'm really looking for detailed, impactful, subterranean bass that does not take away from equally detailed mids/highs. I'm looking for excellent imaging and separation as well. Does all this exist in an IEM?

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #6,994 of 7,699
  Been trying all the tips it came with..same problem, the sound is just muddled. I need the sound (low and mids) to be clearer, more defined. Any suggestions for an IEM that sound like the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers but better? 

Is there a significant difference regarding the sound signatures of the MTPC vs IE80? Maybe this would illuminate the signature I'm going for? i've heard people say the IE80s have a V sound signature, what do the MTPC have?

I'm really looking for detailed, impactful, subterranean bass that does not take away from equally detailed mids/highs. I'm looking for excellent imaging and separation as well. Does all this exist in an IEM?

given that 95% of what makes a sound for us is frequency response, it's hard to just talk about getting something better. different is easy and you might find it better, but only because it fits your idea of better.
I only tried the monster turbine copper for a few minutes, but I clearly remember enjoying it, it was one of those signature that goes down slowly in a pretty steady way and I happen to love that.  if your idea is something a little brighter(so it will also feel more detailed), I guess the gr07 aren't too far away from the monster. but IMO it can also suffer from some sibilance depending on the tip. I do not think it is an upgrade, but that's because I don't like brighter stuff. 
now to be clear, strong bass will always mask something! there is a reason why nobody succeeded in doing an ER4 with bass.
do you have other names of IEMs or headphones you liked or disliked? you seem to get a fine understanding of what you're hearing, so it would help us getting an idea of what "better" might means to you. if you want even more mids, or a different kind of bass(but if you really love your bass you might want to look at headphones instead. there really is something with IEM bass that isn't the same. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #6,995 of 7,699
I kind of just threw those audio terms out there without fully understanding them. I'll try and explain what I'm looking for:

I pretty much exclusively listen to electronic music, DnB and Dubstep. Here is a couple examples of songs I would be listening to:

I usually listen to music with my two Yamaha HS80Ms paired with a Yamaha sub. I love the sound this setup produces. I'm guessing this a "neutral" sound I'm going for. For example, if the song was recorded badly, I want to hear it. I don't want my monitor/earbuds lying to me. I also don't want bass when there shouldn't be any, which it seems like the IE80 is doing all the time. But to be clear, I LOVE bass. I am a bass-head, but it has to be quality bass. If it's overly muddy and boomy then forget about it.

I basically need an upgraded version of the MTPC because that's the only IEM I've tried besides the IE80 that I have liked.

The MTPC were amazing, I could hear all the details of my songs in every freq range, low, mid, or high..everything was super detailed, clear, and with good separation. The bass came through detailed and deep when the song called for it. I would want a tad more bass if possible in my new IEM though (as long as it doesn't muddle the details). Basically, it seemed as if my MTPC were my Yahmaha HS80Ms, just in earbud form. That's pretty much what I'm going for. Let me know if this doesn't make sense or if you need more information to suggest an upgrade for me. I have no budget but prefer to not spend more than $800 if possible. Thanks for any help!

Also, I did order the GR07 Bass Edition and the SONY MDR-XB90EX, so I'll see how those sound when I get them.

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #6,996 of 7,699

given that 95% of what makes a sound for us is frequency response, it's hard to just talk about getting something better. different is easy and you might find it better, but only because it fits your idea of better.
I only tried the monster turbine copper for a few minutes, but I clearly remember enjoying it, it was one of those signature that goes down slowly in a pretty steady way and I happen to love that.

I haven't heard the MTPC, but found this frequency response comparison via google search (note that IE8 and IE80 sound pretty much identical):

Based on this, the difference shouldn't be as night and day, the IE8/80 just with a bit more mid/upper bass (which is where the tape mod comes in).
(Side note, I doubt the graph for the Senns @5kHz, cause similarly to the MTPC, they have a peak there, not a dip)

Anyway, the GR07 will likely have less bass than both, so hopefully the XB90EX will float your boat...

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #6,997 of 7,699

Let me know if this doesn't make sense or if you need more information to suggest an upgrade for me. I have no budget but prefer to not spend more than $800 if possible. Thanks for any help!

Tips can make a significant difference to the way an IEM sounds. But I am not sure even the right tips can fix what you are looking for in the IE80. Here are some IEMs you can look into:

JVC HA-FX850
Aurisonics ASG 2.5
Earsonics Velvet
FLC 8s
IE800

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #6,998 of 7,699

I'll try out the mod you linked (i.e. sealing off the entire housing). Btw, the easiest way I've found to try this for testing purposes is with blu-tack.

This blu-tack thingy looks like it's capable of making a better seal than a tape. Please do share what you find. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 10, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #6,999 of 7,699
I actually just found my MTPC and....I think I like both equally 
confused_face_2.gif
. I guess I didn't accurately remember what the MTPC sounded like. For some reason, I thought it was much better than the IE80 but now with both in front of me, I think I like the IE80 just as much. I don't know why I thought the IE80 was so veiled because my MTPC sounds pretty much the same except they are definitely harder to drive. I think the MTPC has slightly better separation/detail/retrieval. The IE80 sounds more "outside of my head" than the MTPC, which I like.

Will the Earsonic Velvets, Aurisonics ASG 2.5, or the SE846 be that much of an improvement over these two IEMs? Also, which of these three is the best choice? Thanks again. 

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #7,000 of 7,699
  I actually just found my MTPC and....I think I like the IE80 better
confused_face_2.gif
. I guess I didn't accurately remember what the MTPC sounded like. For some reason, I thought it was much better than the IE80 but now with both in front of me, I think I like the IE80 more. I don't know why I thought the IE80 was so veiled because my MTPC sounds pretty much the same except they are definitely harder to drive. 

Will the Earsonic Velvets, Aurisonics ASG 2.5, or the SE846 be that much of an improvement over these two IEMs? Also, which of these three is the best choice? Thanks again. 

Please take my word with a grain of salt as I have not tried these IEMs myself but these were on my list when I was searching for an upgrade over my IE80. So my words are only based on what I have read (I did read extensively on these 3) and what some members have told me:

Velvet - Like the name suggests, warm smooth silky sound with good amount of bass. Good clarity throughout without any harsh peaks or sibilance. Has sound tuning knob to alter the sound signature (warm, neutral and bright). Close to being a good all rounder IEM. A very fun IEM. Has a wide and deep soundstage.

ASG 2.5 - V shaped with hard hitting bass. Has a bass dial to increase/decrease bass. Ample of bass even on the lowest bass dial setting. It also has balanced armature drivers that deliver good clarity. Needs an amp to drive it to its fullest potential. The size and shape of the IEM may not suit everyone. Can be a love/hate deal. May not suit all music genres but does really well where its strength lies. Has a wide and deep soundstage.

SE846 - Comes with 3 set of filters(bright,neutral,warm) that let you alter the sound signature to your taste. Mids are excellent with great amount of detail and clarity. Treble can sometimes sound harsh. With the bright and neutral filter, sometimes it can sound analytical. Bass is good in terms of both quality and quantity. Can be a good allrounder IEM. I have read different opinions on it's soundstage.

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #7,001 of 7,699

Please take my word with a grain of salt as I have not tried these IEMs myself but these were on my list when I was searching for an upgrade over my IE80. So my words are only based on what I have read (I did read extensively on these 3) and what some members have told me:

Velvet - Like the name suggests, warm smooth silky sound with good amount of bass. Good clarity throughout without any harsh peaks or sibilance. Has sound tuning knob to alter the sound signature (warm, neutral and bright). Close to being a good all rounder IEM. A very fun IEM. Has a wide and deep soundstage.

ASG 2.5 - V shaped with hard hitting bass. Has a bass dial to increase/decrease bass. Ample of bass even on the lowest bass dial setting. It also has balanced armature drivers that deliver good clarity. Needs an amp to drive it to its fullest potential. The size and shape of the IEM may not suit everyone. Can be a love/hate deal. May not suit all music genres but does really well where its strength lies. Has a wide and deep soundstage.

SE846 - Comes with 3 set of filters(bright,neutral,warm) that let you alter the sound signature to your taste. Mids are excellent with great amount of detail and clarity. Treble can sometimes sound harsh. With the bright and neutral filter, sometimes it can sound analytical. Bass is good in terms of both quality and quantity. Can be a good allrounder IEM. I have read different opinions on it's soundstage.

How do I know if I like warm sound better than bright sound? Will "warm smooth silky" sound ruin the dark dubstep music I listen to? How do I know if I prefer analytical sound vs the other type? 
Also how do I figure out which sound signature I prefer? (V vs U or some other signature)

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #7,002 of 7,699

How do I know if I like warm sound better than bright sound? Will "warm smooth silky" sound ruin the dark dubstep music I listen to? How do I know if I prefer analytical sound vs the other type? 
Also how do I figure out which sound signature I prefer? (V vs U or some other signature)

Only you can answer those questions. The best way to answer those questions is to try those IEMs. But not everyone has the option to do that. The best you an do is attend a head-Fi meet or a Can-Jam or even go to audiophile stores that have IEMs for demo and try out many headphones/IEMs to understand what your sound preference is. If that is not an option, do extensive research. Try to go to threads of IEMs you are interested in and talk to people and ask for their comparison of that IEM and IE80 or MTPC. Explain to them what you like about your existing IEM and what you don't like and what you are looking for in this new IEM. That would give them an idea of what you are looking for and will be able to guide you in the right direction. People here are friendly and are always glad to help.

The first step to saying whether you like warm or bright sound is to understand what those terms mean. Check out this link to find the glossary of audio terms. To give you a reference point, IE80 has a V shaped sound. Meaning Enhanced Bass & Treble and Recessed Mids. A neutral headphone would not have any enhanced or recessed frequencies. 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #7,003 of 7,699

Only you can answer those questions. The best way to answer those questions is to try those IEMs. But not everyone has the option to do that. The best you an do is attend a head-Fi meet or a Can-Jam or even go to audiophile stores that have IEMs for demo and try out many headphones/IEMs to understand what your sound preference is. If that is not an option, do extensive research. Try to go to threads of IEMs you are interested in and talk to people and ask for their comparison of that IEM and IE80 or MTPC. Explain to them what you like about your existing IEM and what you don't like and what you are looking for in this new IEM. That would give them an idea of what you are looking for and will be able to guide you in the right direction. People here are friendly and are always glad to help.

The first step to saying whether you like warm or bright sound is to understand what those terms mean. Check out this link to find the glossary of audio terms. To give you a reference point, IE80 has a V shaped sound. Meaning Enhanced Bass & Treble and Recessed Mids. A neutral headphone would not have any enhanced or recessed frequencies. 

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Thanks, I will read through that glossary for sure.

Meanwhile, I just bought the Earsonics Velvet off an amazon authorized reseller. Should have them in 2 days, I'll let you know what I think of them. Thanks for your help!

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #7,004 of 7,699
This blu-tack thingy looks like it's capable of making a better seal than a tape. Please do share what you find. 
popcorn.gif

Here you are..
wink.gif

In short, tape-mod + blu-tack results in further bass attenuation, but sounds overdamped and lacking dynamics to my ears.

Removing the tape and leaving just the blu-tack in place sounds similar to the tape-mod alone.

This suggests there may indeed be (additional) air flow through the seam. And those who're looking for the tightest possible bass might want to try Sylaw's mod.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #7,005 of 7,699

I only tried the monster turbine copper for a few minutes, but I clearly remember enjoying it, it was one of those signature that goes down slowly in a pretty steady way and I happen to love that.

I haven't heard the MTPC, but found this frequency response comparison via google search (note that IE8 and IE80 sound pretty much identical):

Based on this, the difference shouldn't be as night and day, the IE8/80 just with a bit more mid/upper bass (which is where the tape mod comes in).
(Side note, I doubt the graph for the Senns @5kHz, cause similarly to the MTPC, they have a peak there, not a dip)

Anyway, the GR07 will likely have less bass than both, so hopefully the XB90EX will float your boat...

well IDK, it looks very much like what I remember from the monster(maybe a little less bass in my memories, but that's the problem of memories and short listening), but the EI80, at least mine, sounds like it has a clear strong boost in the high-medium. and that in turn makes lower mids to sound a little absent. 
and I'm not saying this because my stupid graphs shows the 5khz bump, in fact to my ears there is also a boost in the 8 to 10khz area, but it doesn't show up on my measurement(maybe my ears have some resonance there? maybe the veritas is nullifying something there with a given insertion depth? or maybe I just calibrated the thing like a noob? IDK ^_^). but I'm clearly hearing a strong V shaped IEM. and yeah the gr07 will have less bass boost so maybe it will feel like the mids are more defined to Minotza? that was my fishing attempt, IDK what sounds better to him.
I'm getting the veritas back soon, the I'll try all the new/old mods. I just want to say that my blu-tack is blue, that should impress people.
biggrin.gif

@Minotza  I think getting several IEM and trying is the real good idea there. at least it will give a clear vision of what you tend to favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back