Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #4,936 of 7,699
The quality is a bit better, do not expect a great change (at less for me) ... the source and pairing Improve the sound much more.

I listen mainly to Pop, Rock, Blues, Jazz and Progressive Metal also 
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #4,937 of 7,699
The quality is a bit better, do not expect a great change (at less for me) ... the source and pairing Improve the sound much more.

I listen mainly to Pop, Rock, Blues, Jazz and Progressive Metal also :smile:  
Okay i am actually waiting for my sennheiser ie8i to arrive them exchange it for the i80 because i dont use the mic and save 50€ bought from sennheiser on amazon.de

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #4,938 of 7,699
Hello, I want to ask which of In-Ear monitors got the best quality of sound? I mostly listen: dance, disco, techno, house, electro, club but also pop, rock... I prefer mainly quality bass! But simultaneously I want a good middle and treble! I need to decide between these two types: Sennheiser IE 80 and Yamaha EPH-100. Please help me... Thank you very very much! 

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #4,939 of 7,699
Hi, I used to own the eph-100 but still own the ie80's. (Please take impressions of the yamaha's with a grain of salt). This shows I prefer the ie80's. I listen to trance. The ie80's have more mid bass while have yamaha's have more sub bass, slightly clearer mids due to less mid bass but very weird treble which I did not like. ie80's treble is more natural and has more presence than the yamaha's. Soundstage wise the ie80's win hands down. Isolation goes to the yamaha's.

The ie80's improve with the tape mod, reduces mid bass, making a bit clearer while maintaining sub bass. Overall I would recommend the ie80's and with removable cables you can upgrade them if you wish.

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4,940 of 7,699
  Hello, I want to ask which of In-Ear monitors got the best quality of sound? I mostly listen: dance, disco, techno, house, electro, club but also pop, rock... I prefer mainly quality bass! But simultaneously I want a good middle and treble! I need to decide between these two types: Sennheiser IE 80 and Yamaha EPH-100. Please help me... Thank you very very much! 

I had the Yamahas and now the IE80's. The difference is just night and day. IE80 is MUCH better. The treble is vastly superior as well as soundstage and they sound much more open and airy, which gives you a much more immersive experience. There's no comparison. It's like comparing a $100 IEM to a $300 IEM. The IE80's make the EPH-100's sound like crap. Please refer back to my review in the previous page.

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #4,942 of 7,699
I don't know why sennheiser don't tell the truth and this is pretty irritating. The IE80 sounds more refined than the IE8i, with superior treble quality, better clarity and detail and no mid-bass hump. IE80 can be a detail monster with a silver cable, ISO-tape mod and the right tips.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4,943 of 7,699
I don't know why sennheiser don't tell the truth and this is pretty irritating. The IE80 sounds more refined than the IE8i, with superior treble quality, better clarity and detail and no mid-bass hump. IE80 can be a detail monster with a silver cable, ISO-tape mod and the right tips.

I have a slightly different experience with both phones with my sources( iPad 4, Sony Z1060). I do think that the IE80 has the slightly better clarity, is ostensibly more detailed, and has a smidgeon less mid-bass than the IE8(i). However, I felt that the IE8s were more 'refined'. Its treble being a tad more reticent, and smoother than that of the IE80 as well as having what I consider to be a more natural transient decay are few of the reasons for my conclusion. I know most folks suggest the IE80 as a direct upgrade to the IE8s, but it wasn't the case for me. Just thought I'd share.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4,944 of 7,699
I have a slightly different experience with both phones with my sources( iPad 4, Sony Z1060). I do think that the IE80 has the slightly better clarity, is ostensibly more detailed, and has a smidgeon less mid-bass than the IE8(i). However, I felt that the IE8s were more 'refined'. Its treble being a tad more reticent, and smoother than that of the IE80 as well as having what I consider to be a more natural transient decay are few of the reasons for my conclusion. I know most folks suggest the IE80 as a direct upgrade to the IE8s, but it wasn't the case for me. Just thought I'd share.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts what music genre do you listen to? And do you have both models?

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #4,945 of 7,699
Thanks for sharing your thoughts what music genre do you listen to? And do you have both models?

I had both models at the same time, but eventually sold the IE80s after preferring the iE8s for the aforementioned reasons above. Note that other folks may have their own rationale for opting to either IEMS. Regarding, music genres, that's always a tough question for me as I'd like to think I have an eclectic taste in music, and as a consequence, I reckon that I'm a fan of the IE8s because I think they are excellent all-rounders. In no order of preference I like Classical, Jazz, Alternative, Rock, Soca, Calypso, Reggae, Dance-Hall, Hip-Pop, Techno...as long as it sounds good to me I'll listen to it...

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #4,946 of 7,699
I had both models at the same time, but eventually sold the IE80s after preferring the iE8s for the aforementioned reasons above. Note that other folks may have their own rationale for opting to either IEMS. Regarding, music genres, that's always a tough question for me as I'd like to think I have an eclectic taste in music, and as a consequence, I reckon that I'm a fan of the IE8s because I think they are excellent all-rounders. In no order of preference I like Classical, Jazz, Alternative, Rock, Soca, Calypso, Reggae, Dance-Hall, Hip-Pop, Techno...as long as it sounds good to me I'll listen to it...
Okay thanks for your answer. Do you suggest me to keep the ie8i for music genre like rap, hip hop and techno which prefer bass to get a overall experience because of the ie8i midd bass

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #4,947 of 7,699
Okay thanks for your answer. Do you suggest me to keep the ie8i for music genre like rap, hip hop and techno which prefer bass to get a overall experience because of the ie8i midd bass

I suspect that the comparisons you see online will make the two IEMs seem more dissimilar than they truly are. For me, it wasn't hard to tell that both phones shared the same sound signature, and differences were quite subtle. They are both 'bassy', so I wouldn't be too worried about the quantity on either. I do feel that the IE80s has the slightly better bass quality though. It has a slightly more perceptible sub-bass without EQ and though mid-bass emphasis is still evident, it's less intrusive than in the IE8 so I personally think the IE80 may have a slight advantage in those genres you highlighted.

* my constant use of 'slight' is because though there are some subtle differences I didn't think they were that different from each other.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,948 of 7,699
Okay b
I suspect that the comparisons you see online will make the two IEMs seem more dissimilar than they truly are. For me, it wasn't hard to tell that both phones shared the same sound signature, and differences were quite subtle. They are both 'bassy', so I wouldn't be too worried about the quantity on either. I do feel that the IE80s has the slightly better bass quality though. It has a slightly more perceptible sub-bass without EQ and though mid-bass emphasis is still evident, it's less intrusive than in the IE8 so I personally think the IE80 may have a slight advantage in those genres you highlighted.

* my constant use of 'slight' is because though there are some subtle differences I didn't think they were that different from each other.
okay but it is not weird that the ie8i with the mic cost 50€ more than the ie80. Keep in mind that i am going to use theese in ear headphones with my iphone 4s

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #4,950 of 7,699

Users who are viewing this thread

Back