Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4,924 of 7,699
I have the IE80 for a few month now. (Silver cable and tape mod.) Just wanna say, finding the perfect fit tips is essential. I couldnt find it with any of the stock tips. So I am still on comply foam tips. Even when I thought, I got good isolation with silicon tips, compared to comply, the difference is at least 30% in sound quality. The only problem is, comply is expensive, and worns out in short time. So iam considering custom sleeves... Just that price...
What I wanna say:
1. Do not judge the IE80 superficial, without finding the (really) perfect fit. It matters a lot.
2. Does it worth to invest in custom sleeves, or for that price (and my IE80 with silver cable) I could find sg better?

I was thinking about momentum as well, I tried it. The soundstage and details are the same. Really good. But the iems are closer, more fun. bass is much more enjoyable. You feel, the music is pumping in your head. Not just over your ears... I enjoy it more...

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,925 of 7,699
I have the IE80 for a few month now. (Silver cable and tape mod.) Just wanna say, finding the perfect fit tips is essential. I couldnt find it with any of the stock tips. So I am still on comply foam tips. Even when I thought, I got good isolation with silicon tips, compared to comply, the difference is at least 30% in sound quality. The only problem is, comply is expensive, and worns out in short time. So iam considering custom sleeves... Just that price...

What I wanna say:

1. Do not judge the IE80 superficial, without finding the (really) perfect fit. It matters a lot.

2. Does it worth to invest in custom sleeves, or for that price (and my IE80 with silver cable) I could find sg better?

I was thinking about momentum as well, I tried it. The soundstage and details are the same. Really good. But the iems are closer, more fun. bass is much more enjoyable. You feel, the music is pumping in your head. Not just over your ears... I enjoy it more...

you might want to try the mod that i use to the tips here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/569527/sennheiser-ie80s-impressions-thread/4740
i have acs custom tips btw while it have the perfect fit i prefer the sound from universal tips.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #4,926 of 7,699
Hi. First post. Have been reading the forum for a long time.  Wanted to share with you my first impressions after 250 hours burn-in. Tape mod (does wonders to the mids and highs).

Bass is punchy and deep, really deep, great sub-bass, they put more weight on sub-bass than the IE8's, mids are very high-fidelity, lush and sweet, highs are ultra-detailed, so delicate and beautiful, with spectacular extension and decay. They have a very pleasant sparkle and finesse/refinement straight out of my SONY X1050 + the transparent JDSLabs C5 (another improvement over IE8). They dig out a serious amount of detail. Imaging and instrument separation are excelent and you have a sense of space, its incredibly open and airy, something that I have never experienced in any other IEM and even closed full size cans. Soundstage is gigantic for a IEM, I feel like I'm in a Concert Hall. It's like a natural 3D effect, or natural surround sound. It's so immersive. Just don't judge them after 50 hours at least, since they sound pretty "weird" straight out of the box. Some people claim that the sweet spot is at 400-700 hours :O, just to give you an idea of how these drivers need to break in and yes, sound does change, at least after 50 hours.

NOTE: I prefer these over the SM3 hands down. IE80's are much brighter and with better treble for my taste. Soundstage's much much wider and I prefer the separation and timbre of the IE80's. They even out-perform my beloved UM3X in some areas. UM3X highs are a bit too bright and soundstage doesn't even come close. IE80 highs are more lively and realistic (with a GOOD source - forget Sansas and FiiOs). Plus, the IE80's have more bass. Detail and separation is pretty much the same thing, although I can pick up more details with the IE80's in Roger Waters Discography. Timbre is one of the most realistic I've heard. As somebody else said, a Gibson Les Paul sounds like the real thing and this is something I appreciate alot. Acoustic guitars never sounded so good, so real. Soundwise, this is the closest you can get to a full size can (mid/high-end). For 188 EUR + shipping from amazon.es (promotional price), this is a damn good deal.   

NOTE 2: I can't find any issue in heavy guitars and they're fast in my opinion. It has been a pleasure to listen to Metal with them. Any genre to tell the truth. Jazz, Classical, Rock, Pop, Electronic, Instrumental, etc. Anything you throw at them sounds amazing.

NOTE 3: I'm using the bass at midle. Above this it starts losing detail/micro-detail. This is  up to personal preference, but avoid using it above midle if you want to experience the levels of detail of a UM3X or W4. I'm a basshead and I don't feel I need any more bass than this. Anyways I can sacrifice a litle bass for the micro-details I can hear. They're priceless.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #4,927 of 7,699
Thank you for your impression and welcome to Head-fi, they have their place in my collection and I use it with regularity. They are very pleasant to my ears 
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #4,929 of 7,699
Hi. First post. Have been reading the forum for a long time.  Wanted to share with you my first impressions after 250 hours burn-in. Tape mod (does wonders to the mids and highs).

Bass is punchy and deep, really deep, great sub-bass, they put more weight on sub-bass than the IE8's, mids are very high-fidelity, lush and sweet, highs are ultra-detailed, so delicate and beautiful, with spectacular extension and decay. They have a very pleasant sparkle and finesse/refinement straight out of my bright SONY F807 + the transparent JDSLabs C5 (another improvement over IE8). They dig out a serious amount of detail. Imaging and instrument separation are excelent and you have a sense of space, its incredibly open and airy, something that I have never experienced in any other IEM and even closed full size cans. Soundstage is gigantic for a IEM, I feel like I'm in a Concert Hall. It's like a natural 3D effect, or natural surround sound. It's so immersive. Just don't judge them after 50 hours at least, since they sound pretty "weird" straight out of the box. Some people claim that the sweet spot is at 400-700 hours :O, just to give you an idea of how these drivers need to break in and yes, sound does change, at least after 50 hours.

NOTE: I prefer these over the SM3 hands down. IE80's are much brighter and with better treble for my taste. Soundstage's much much wider and I prefer the separation and timbre of the IE80's. They even out-perform my beloved UM3X in some areas. UM3X highs are a bit too bright and soundstage doesn't even come close. IE80 highs are more lively and realistic (with a GOOD source - forget Sansas and FiiOs). Plus, the IE80's have more bass. Detail and separation is pretty much the same thing, although I can pick up more details with the IE80's in Roger Waters Discography. Timbre is one of the most realistic I've heard. As somebody else said, a Gibson Les Paul sounds like the real thing and this is something I appreciate alot. Acoustic guitars never sounded so good, so real. Soundwise, this is the closest you can get to a full size can (mid/high-end). For 188 EUR + shipping from amazon.es (promotional price), this is a damn good deal.   

NOTE 2: I can't find any issue in heavy guitars and they're fast in my opinion. It has been a pleasure to listen to Metal with them. Any genre to tell the truth. Jazz, Classical, Rock, Pop, Electronic, Instrumental, etc. Anything you throw at them sounds amazing.

NOTE 3: I'm using the bass at midle. Above this it starts losing detail/micro-detail. This is  up to personal preference, but avoid using it above midle if you want to experience the levels of detail of a UM3X or W4. I'm a basshead and I don't feel I need any more bass than this. Anyways I can sacrifice a litle bass for the micro-details I can hear. They're priceless.

nice review bro :) I have to tell you smthing.. IE80 will be basshead iEM's with some tips yet they will become absolute detail mosters with ( monster hybrid tips) so I wouldn't call IE80s bass head IEM's :)

I all ways love my IE80's right next to my W4's and Er4

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #4,930 of 7,699

nice review bro
smily_headphones1.gif
I have to tell you smthing.. IE80 will be basshead iEM's with some tips yet they will become absolute detail mosters with ( monster hybrid tips) so I wouldn't call IE80s bass head IEM's
smily_headphones1.gif

I all ways love my IE80's right next to my W4's and Er4

Thanks Sylaw,

Well, I followed your suggestion to another member and contacted Monster but they no longer sell those tips :frowning2:

I could use some L's if you don't need them :)))

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #4,931 of 7,699

Thanks Sylaw,

Well, I followed your suggestion to another member and contacted Monster but they no longer sell those tips :frowning2:

I could use some L's if you don't need them :)))

they don't have it? that's kinda impossible? did u try emailing them? that's whati did at least to get all the tips for free of charge.. yeah sure I have some large once that I don't use :)

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #4,932 of 7,699

Thanks Sylaw,

Well, I followed your suggestion to another member and contacted Monster but they no longer sell those tips
frown.gif

I could use some L's if you don't need them
smily_headphones1.gif
))

they don't have it? that's kinda impossible? did u try emailing them? that's whati did at least to get all the tips for free of charge.. yeah sure I have some large once that I don't use
smily_headphones1.gif

Emailed Monster US, Monster EU, they said they don't have them.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4,933 of 7,699
Hello guys i am currrently waiting for my bew sennheiser ie8i to arrive. Actually i am going exchange them back to the sennheiser ie80 because i dont use the mic bought on amazon germany. I have contacted sennheiser and asked what the difference between the ie8i and ie80 and they said the only difference is that the ie8i have the mic and there is no difference in sound qualityHave anybody bought from sennheiser on amazon germany and are they genuine/ real? Beside that i am goin to upgrade to the comply t-500 silicone foam for isolation and maybe a silver cable. Any suggestions for the silver cabel? Also does they sound good without an amp on smartphones like the iphone? I am considering buying the fiio7 in the future waste of money or will i be fine with upgraded able in the future. Sorry for the many questions but i am excited for my first high end in ear headphones. Help apriciated Adel

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #4,934 of 7,699
They sound good from my Note 2, easy IEM to drive, about the comply I have no good result, the sound was to much altered for me, I can recommand you the JVC tips, you can find them on ebay, links was posted before in this thread.

For me what is important is that the silver cable have to be flexible and soft, otherwise you will have a lot of microphonics sounds.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #4,935 of 7,699
They sound good from my Note 2, easy IEM to drive, about the comply I have no good result, the sound was to much altered for me, I can recommand you the JVC tips, you can find them on ebay, links was posted before in this thread.

For me what is important is that the silver cable have to be flexible and soft, otherwise you will have a lot of microphonics sounds.
Thank you for your answer well i have readed that the silver cable does improve the sound quality? Which music genre do you listen to with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back